Dell forum

Dell Hardware & Technical Support Nightmare

by andertech / October 27, 2012 1:08 AM PDT

My new Dell had to have replacement parts when new. I asked for a replacement laptop. It was refused. At 8 months, all pictures and documents disappeared. McAfee was constantly updated (came with the computer). I called Dell technical support and was told I had to pay $258 and they could solve the problem described. I wanted to enter my own information to buy the service I thought I already had. He would not accept that and asked for my credit card information and then he took over my laptop. I watched him download trial versions of software, put a games folder on my laptop and NEVER address the problem. 24 hours later, charges for motels showed up on my credit card. Since I rarely use the card and never give out information on it, I realized I made a huge mistake. It took 6 days and hours on the phone to try to cancel the tech support which cost $258. I was passed from person to person and then sent back to the original person. They would not listen to me. It is a nightmare. I had to cancel my credit card. If someone has the address of Michael Dell, please send it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Hardware & Technical Support Nightmare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Hardware & Technical Support Nightmare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About that games folder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2012 2:11 AM PDT

I've seen that get created with some Microsoft updates. To place the blame for that on Dell is OK but I find it interesting that folk don't understand something basic about PC use. Ready? Our files are our responsibility.

-> I see a lot of new to PC folk or folk that didn't learn or be told this to flame every maker or person that brings it up a lot so why not keep your files safe?

Also, PC support today is best done by us. Those that don't learn to maintain their PC often have stories like yours.

-> The last request makes me wonder a bit. Wouldn't I use the web for that detail? I don't want to upset you but some of your post makes it look like you are new to Windows, computers and such.

Collapse -
Computer companies should be held accountable
by andertech / October 27, 2012 3:36 AM PDT

I am not new to computers or Windows (approximately 20 years use). I watched the Dell technician put the games folder along with two other folders on my computer. When I asked what and why, he would not tell me. He changed the subject. Yes, our files are our responsibility. Also, it is Dell's responsibility to take care of the Dell support issue that I addressed. I have tried to find a place to write/email my concerns abuse of my credit card, lack of assistance that I was promised, and the run around that I received.

FYI: No one person could give me a correct response or give a solution. I had already performed trouble shooting.

I recall a time when I could call Dell technical support and get help. I recall a time when I bought a computer and for one year, I had hardware and software support. It did not cost $258 and the misuse of my credit card. Why are we accepting substandard support? Is it because Dell has lost that ability or is it because they do not care?

Collapse -
There is a well known solution but unpopular.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2012 3:45 AM PDT

And that is to restore the PC to its factory condition and restore from backup, etc.

-> I wonder if you are aware that Microsoft has yet to provide decent repair tools for this OS? I can find many examples where Microsoft throws in the towel and has the user abandon repairs. Here's one I have handy.

Notice they didn't really recover the account?

We accepted a sub-standard OS with no repair tools for many issues so I can't blame Dell here. They sold us what we wanted.

-> About the credit card. I didn't write about that. Go get 'em.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.