Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell Extended Warranty pricing inconsistent: BUYER BE WARE

by SierraguyCA / July 12, 2010 6:46 AM PDT

Be advised:
I received as a gift a Dell Studio laptop purchased at an authorized Dell Retailer. When I attempted to purchase an extended warranty for the machine, I was made aware, by Dell Warranty and System Sales, that Dell has different warranty coverages and costs based on where the product was purchased. It can be the EXACT same machine down to the color and Dell has different warrantees based on where you purchased it.

I have received indirect quotes (indirect because Dell won't give a quote until you buy) of between $500 - $600 for a 3 year premium warranty with inhome service after remote technical diagnosis. You don't find out that the total cost of ownership for the machine skyrockets until after you by it. I hope your retailer as a good return policy.
This is for a machine purchased at Bestbuy, Staples or Costco. This information is from direct quotes from phone conversations with Dell represetatives at Dell's sales phone number.

A warranty for this exact same machine, configured and purchased on would sell for $390..

And Dell's quality has reached such lows that an extended warranty is necessary. But depending upon where you but the machine, the warranty can cost well over half the price of the machine.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Extended Warranty pricing inconsistent: BUYER BE WARE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Extended Warranty pricing inconsistent: BUYER BE WARE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nothing new here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2010 8:49 AM PDT

You can see this price change as you compare other makes when the warranty is obtained when you buy or later.

Isn't this more an issue of the buyer doing their research up front?

Collapse -
Buyer Beware
by SierraguyCA / July 13, 2010 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing new here.

Unfortunately, Dell doesn't ADMIT to the difference in warranty price. You only find this out AFTER you buy the machine.

AND Dell won't quote the warranty until after the machine is delivered to the customer because they need the service tag.

SO, the buyer CANNOT beware because Dell won't admit to the difference in price and won't give a price until you already ave the machine. They are adamant about NOT disclosing the warranty price and the buyer doesn't realize the price is jacked up significantly after purchasing the machine.

So it isn't buy beware but more Buy be ready to return after the sticker shock. A $390 warranty can cost $600 and it is limited to its coverage. You pay more for less.

Collapse -
Deceptive warranty prices
by Geek30 / August 18, 2010 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Buyer Beware

Dell quotes outrageous prices for their notebook/ netbook warranties after you buy their product. If you call their support they will quote you warranty upgrade prices rather than extension prices, without telling you that it is an upgrade. Many customers succumb to this trick and end up paying more than they need to. As mentioned before they DO NOT disclose warranty prices on their websites. Price quotes can vary between different support representative. Be aware of the trap if you want to buy Dell warranty since you are likely to pay more than you need to.

Collapse -
Bait and switch
by SierraguyCA / August 19, 2010 5:12 PM PDT

Not only does Dell not disclose their warranty pricing and charge more depending on the agent and department you call into but they do not stand behind their purchase agreements. I am the victim of a bait and switch tactic by Maria Feliz Decastro and Rachelle Lai of Dell's Warranty Sales department.

She quoted me $389 for a Premium warranty (basic + advanced + premium features), on paper, verbally confirmed that is what she was selling me before she charged my credit card but only delivered a basic 3 year 24/7 phone support warranty. This is also known as a Basic plan.

Conversations with Customer Care, Warranty Sales, Corporate proved fruitless. Several managers admitted it was a bait and switch, that it was an illegal tactic but that Dell wouldn't honor the purchase agreement and would only refund my money. My experience with Dell over the past 3 months was that if they refunded my money i was never going to see any warranty at anywhere near the advertised price.

I'm in the process of putting together my complaint to the Consumer Protection Departments in CA and TX and am considering sueing Dell in Small Claims Court in CA. They try to tell you that because you're purchasing from them you are agreeing to do so under the laws of Texas. My transaction was interstate and that makes it interstate commerce and a federal issue.

Dell, if you're monitoring these forums, you know who I am, contact me before this couple of hundred dollar bait and switch ends up costing you thousands in attorney fees.

Collapse -
re complaints
by paralegal1966 / January 3, 2012 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: Bait and switch

Any updates from yourselves or dell as was seriously considering a large number of dell xps 2nd gen laptops bray & bray solicitors uk

Collapse -
Squaretrade is the best for warranties
by techyguy717 / January 20, 2012 10:05 AM PST
In reply to: re complaints

Squaretrade warranties are rated the best and can be applied to any electronics purchase. They are inexpensive and can include accidental coverage. I don't understand why anyone would buy a manufacturer warranty.

Collapse -
by mickie2012 / February 21, 2013 2:31 AM PST
In reply to: Bait and switch

I think I may a victim of Dells hiking up the amount. I got laid-off in August 2009 for longer than anticipated the bill seemed to be high then. I tried to work out an agreement with Dell to settle the account because it was in somebody else's name. When it went into default I never used warranties after 2009. Now I questioning the amount because on that same account Dell kept constantly saying I needed these expensive warranties even from the initial start. I receved a desktop in 2007 and laptop in 2008. On three occassions I remember them telling that the existing warranty after product purchase would not cover them fixng the issies such as software malfunction and needed another warranty. The software was also purchased from Dell. In the beginning of 2011, my desktop motherboard showed signs of burning up, some of wiring on the board was fraying. The person that cleaned it told me to be careful in cleaning that I do not electricuted and that eventually it could a fire hazard. The laptop's battery and cord burnt up and quit working. I am not sure what to do about any of this, the motherboard is in the shed.I made a mistake of stopping payments on this account in Sept.2011 because they never sent any statements on the balance except the initial amount they felt I owed, and balance seems to be the same amount as initially started out with. They claiming a breach in contract

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.