Desktops

General discussion

Dell Dimension 8200 Video Upgrade Question

by Morlock / March 19, 2005 8:08 AM PST

I am wanting to upgrade from my hardy yet outdated nVidia GeForce Ti 4200 64MB. I was told by a Dell support person that 64MB was the highest I could go due to how the computer is made. So that limits my options significantly. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this, like what is the best 64MB video card I can get. I play games a lot, thus I am upgrading. Any help would be great.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Dimension 8200 Video Upgrade Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Dimension 8200 Video Upgrade Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Off hand I'd say that Dell support person is wacko...
by John Robie / March 19, 2005 8:33 AM PST

You have a TI 4200 64MB card that is actually still a good card to play most all the current high end games. Your computer, has an AGP slot so will take a 128MB or 256MB video card and play games well. You don't need a 256MB card however, (re: what I posted here on 256MB )and I suggest you stay with Nvidia cards. You probably will not be able to take the very high end Nvidia cards like the 6800 and 6600 because of their length and needing to take up room on the next PCI slot.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Morlock / March 19, 2005 11:30 AM PST

Thanks for the info. That was a bit suspicious, it didn't really make sense to me. But who am I to question the infallible word of some lady in India? Yeah, my main worry about the newer cards is that they would burn out as my little comp probably can't handle them. But it's good to know I can move up to 128. The 4200 has served me well, but I am starting to notice some limitations, and I am keeping this PC for the near future, so and upgrade is in order.

Collapse -
Would you have a suggestion?
by Morlock / March 19, 2005 11:33 AM PST

As long as you seem to know a lot more on this than I do, would you have any suggestions on what I should get? I'm looking in the 200-300 dollar range. I try to look but I not very tech savvy and all the specs mean very little to me.

Collapse -
Re: Dell 8200
by John Robie / March 19, 2005 3:46 PM PST

I'm not familiar with the Dell 8200. I read some time ago about the Nvidia 6800 card being a little long and may not fit in some Dell and other computers and also may require depth space.. like having the PCI slot under it vacant for space & cooling. I know I mentioned the 6600, but can't remember if that applied since it is also a fairly new card.

Gee, $200-$300 will buy a good card. I suggest the Nvidia 6600GT 128MB AGP8x card that Newegg has from $189 to $229:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1

What I did when I purchased my last card was find out how long the new card was, then opened the PC cover and measured the space where the current card is.

Another thing with some computers is that these new cards may require a higher wattage power supply, if your current one is not at least 300W.

The next suggestion is the PNY FX5700VE 256MB AGP8x,4x which has 400MHz clock speed that Best Buy sells for $159.99. The advantage there is that you can talk to the sales clerk/and or one of their 'Geek Squad' about them installing it (for a price) and if it doesn't fit they should take the card back without a stocking charge or damage.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Morlock / March 20, 2005 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Dell 8200

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.