Desktops forum

General discussion

Dell Dimension 8200 Upgrade Issues

by Jennerator / May 5, 2005 1:37 PM PDT

I just bought a new graphics card and memory for my Dell 8200 and I am beginning to think it may not work out. Here is the stuff I bought:

Apollo Geforce FX5500 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X

(2)SimpleTech 128MB 184-Pin RDRAM (16bit) Unbuffered PC 800 System Memory

I am upgrading from a GeForce 3 Ti 200 and 256 MB RDRAM.

My questions are:

Will these fit in my computer?
Will my power supply handle it (250 Watts)?
My manual say my AGP is 4X, and the system requiremnts for the card says it requires AGP 8X, so is this incompatible, even though it says 4X/8X?

I thought I had done enough research before I bought this stuff, but once I got it I got nervous and now I am not so sure. I am upgrading with the intention of seriously cranking up my hardcore gaming experience.
Thanks to anybody who knows whats up with these old rigs.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Dimension 8200 Upgrade Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Dimension 8200 Upgrade Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / May 5, 2005 1:48 PM PDT

Compatible, but psu not so good and you can't upgrade dell psus unless you buy from their original maker. Very expensive, but good. I forget the website. Ask ozos.
ROger

Collapse -
Used to have a Dimension 8200
by twesterh / May 5, 2005 1:49 PM PDT

Had a p4 2ghz and Nvidia Geforce4 4600ti. I tried to upgrade the RAM but found out the hard way that it takes proprietery ram from Dell.... which is not cheap...

Be interested to see if your's fits.

trw.

Collapse -
Used to have a Dimension 8200
by banistersmind / February 3, 2008 11:57 AM PST

I am looking at upgrading the RAM in a Dell Dimension 8200 and have been discouraged to find that a) PC 800 RAM seems to cost a lot and b) I have noted a number of places where it says that the 8200 will only take proprietry RAM from Dell.

Is this actually true? To date I cannot get this information confirmed.

Collapse -
Not true...
by FoxyFire1 / February 23, 2008 11:02 AM PST

I have a Dell Dimension 8200, and it does take RAM that isn't from Dell. Right now, I have 4 128MB Samsung PC800 modules in there. I have also tried some Toshiba ones, which also work.

RDRAM is really expensive now, always has been, yet-- it's an obsolete technology that shouldn't exist in the first place and to which I believe doesn't merit that much of my money. Therefore, the best, cheapest, and only place you should buy it from-- Ebay. I just bought two sticks of 128MB's (256MB) for just $20 bucks!

Collapse -
Dell Dimenstion 8200 Upgrade
by Taz Dax / July 17, 2005 3:05 AM PDT

For anyone needing information on upgrading a Dell Dimension 8200 computer, go to this website:

http://www.spongebobsupgradesite.com/index.html

Regarding your power supply issue for your video card, on the website above it states that Dell uses the mean power supply as a rating for its power supplies, while most other companies use the maximum.

The Dell Dimension has a power supply rated at 250 Watts, but again this is the median, and not the maximum that the power supply can handle (which should be around 375 watts.

I have installed an ATI Radeon 800 XL video card which requires a power supply of 300 watts or greater, and so far no problems.

If you want to purchase a 450 watt power suppy (just to be on the safe side), on the web site above, there is a link to a company that sells power supplies directly to Dell and will fit in your Dell Dimension.

The Dell 8200 has a 4X AGP port, and since the Apollo GEForce is a 4X/8X card, it will work.

Collapse -
Dimension 8200 Upgrade
by wittba / July 19, 2005 4:42 AM PDT

Thanks for these threads. They have given me good info to work with.

I have done my own research and found that all of the info in these threads checks out and is reliable.

I do have a question, in regards to to video card 4X/8X issue.

When using an 4X/8X video card to upgrade, how much of a decrease in quality is noticed, if any?

I am soon to be going from 64MB factory card to BFG 256MB card that is 4x/8x and was just wondering the effects.

I am also adding 512MB RAM, which is cheapest on www.zipzoomfly.com, unless you find it on Ebay cheaper.

I think this combination should bring the 8200 up to speed for at least another year!

ps-the spongebob site is great!

Collapse -
Dell 8200 Upgrade
by Taz Dax / July 19, 2005 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Dimension 8200 Upgrade

You should notice an increase in performance when upgrading to the BFG 256MB in most games. Much better than your 64MB card!

However, the Dell Dimension 8200 only has a 4X AGP port, which will limit the performance of your new card.

Increasing the RAM will definitely increase the performance of your Dell.

When I went increased from 256MB up to 768MB of RAM, my Dell 8200 immediately loaded faster, and performed much better!

Glad you liked the links!

Collapse -
DVD Burner?
by wittba / August 9, 2006 7:27 AM PDT

The Dell documentation shows that the 8200 has the following available drives:
Available devices

ATA-66 or ATA-100 Ultra DMA hard drive, CD drive, Zip drive, DVD drive, and CD-RW drive.

What do I need to look for when shopping for a DVD burner for my 8200 system?

Perhaps some examples would be useful.

Thanks.
Ben

Collapse -
8200 Upgrade
by Dreammender / September 2, 2006 11:21 AM PDT

My wife has an 8200. I bought it for her for 2 reasons:
1. I was experienced with Computer and Network Operations, not hardware, etc.
2. She had heard all the hype about Dell this and Dell that, and she WANTED a Dell.

Now, since making the mistake of purchasing it 3-4 years ago, I have learned ALOT about PC hardware, and will forever prefer to build my own (cheaper and fully upgradable).

Like most of you, I hate the price for the PC800 RDRAM DIMMs. I can upgrade my PC2100 266MHz with 2 - 1Gb sticks for about the same price as a 256Mb of RDRAM.

However, since she 'loves' her dell and I can't get her to part with it, I have resolved myself to finding ways to upgrade it.

Here is what I have done to her original Dell Deminsion 8200 that came stock with P4 1.8GHZ (478 pin), 256Mb (2x128Mb) PC800 RAMBUS RDRAM DIMM memory, nVidia GeForce 2MX 64MB AGP 4x video, 80Gb ATA 7200RPM.

(1) P4 2.6GHz 400MHz 478 pin CPU - $65 US
(4) 256MB PC800 184-PIN 40ns Non ECC Unbuffered RDRAM RAMBUS - $248 US ($62 US each)
(1) GeForce FX 5500 256MB DDR 4x/8x AGP TV,VGA,DVI - $49 US
I also threw in a 120Gb SATA I had laying around from one of my old toys. (Had to add the SATA PCI adapter, cause the MB doesn't support it.)

So, I spent $362 US for a SERIOUS upgrade on her 8200 and it runs like a scalded cat on XP. Her online MMORPG (Everquest) never lags (even in heavy zones) and her video/graphic editing (web design) applications scream.

I could have built her nearly twice the machine for the same money, but like I said... she LOVES her Dell. It is very nearly maxed out for upgrades, except that it will hold max 4Gb RAM... but I am NOT paying the price for that. I told her her 'baby Dell' was maxed out and that if she needed another 'upgrade' I would have to order the parts to build her a new machine. She sees how mine runs and is impressed, but for now, she still has her Dell. =)

Hope this little story of my Wife and her 8200's upgrades helps you and/or someone else.

My advice - If you own a Dell computer, especially an 8200 (or other model that uses RAMBUS RDRAM DIMM memory) ~~~ Toodle on down to Fry's Electronics or to your favorite online shopping site (see http://www.pricewatch.com for some nice comparison shopping) and build your own. There are too many sites that can help you figure out what Motherboards fit what cases with what power supply with what memory, etc. You can have a monster machine (see http://www.alienware.com for some examples of monster machines) for under $500 US.

Later.

Collapse -
Re: 8200 Upgrade
by wittba / September 4, 2006 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: 8200 Upgrade

Good report on your upgrades. Thanks for getting that information out there. Do you know of any specific websites that are especially good at describing how to build your own machine and what parts are recommended to do so?

Thanks again.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Just 'Google' it.....you'll have enough to read for months
by VAPCMD / September 12, 2006 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: 8200 Upgrade
Collapse -
Upgrading the Dell Dimension 8200
by W2CQMron / September 28, 2008 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: 8200 Upgrade

It was suggesed that a P4 2.6mHz 400mhz 478 pin CPU for about $65 would speed up my computer. Haven't been able to locate a source of supply. Can anyone help? Already have additional RAM on order. Thanks

Collapse -
Better to start a new thread than tag onto one thats 2 years
by VAPCMD / September 28, 2008 10:25 AM PDT

old.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
thanks for the suggestion
by W2CQMron / September 28, 2008 9:24 PM PDT

I'm new to the group and your suggestion to begin a new thread makes sense. Thanks, I'll do that.

Collapse -
Will my power supply handle it (250 Watts)?
by jcrobso / July 20, 2005 3:30 AM PDT

Probably not. Just google dell power supply for options. John

Collapse -
Probably would have been better off getting a new box
by VAPCMD / August 11, 2006 12:50 PM PDT

For the $80-$90 you spent on the 256 RDRAM ...you could have bought 1GB of decent DDR or perhaps DDR2.
Cut you losses ...should be easy to sell the RDRAM and buy new.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
RAM dell 8200
by wittba / August 11, 2006 11:14 PM PDT

The specifications on a Dell 8200 require the RDRAM. Is there something I don't know about the DDR kind that makes it usable in this type of machine? I do not believe it would work, from what I have been told. Although much cheaper (you're right!), I had to go with the ram that matched the machine. Any thoughts?

Collapse -
Sorry if I confused the issue....all I was saying
by VAPCMD / August 12, 2006 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: RAM dell 8200

in another system . . . perhaps a new one, the user could have 1GB of DDR or perhaps DDR2 RAM for the same price of 256MBs of RDRAM. The RAM types are definitely NOT interchangeable and you've got to go with what works in your system.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
ram discussion dell 8200
by wittba / August 12, 2006 9:58 PM PDT

excellent. thanks. I was wondering if I was missing something. I hate this system's ram. it's way too expensive...and to think about how much ram I could have bought if it had been DDR!

Collapse -
After the user finishes upgrading the current PC,
by VAPCMD / August 13, 2006 1:28 AM PDT

he'll have almost paid for a new machine but still have an older, slower PC. That's the sad part.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
POWER SUPPLY & VIDEO CARD
by zenblack / September 12, 2006 3:08 AM PDT

I HAVE A DIMENSIN 8200 I READ ALOT ON THE INTERNET
ABOUT UPGRADEING MY VIDEO CARD SO I WENT TO A COMPUTER SHOP THAT BUILDS AND REPAIRS COMPUTERS
MY BOARD IS A 4X AGP SLOT -HE SOLD ME A 8X NVIDIA 256AGP VIDEO CARD HE SAID IT WORK-SO I INSTALLED IT WORKS GREAT-I READ ON THE BOX THAT YOU SHOULD RUN AT LEAST 300 WATTS MY JUST HAS 250 WATT SO I WENT BACK AND HE HAD COMPUTERS JUST LIKE MINE AND SOLD ME THE POWER SUPPLY THAT HE USES I INSTALLED WORKS GREAT EVERY THING ON MY COMPUTER WORKS BETTER THEN HAS IN ALON TIME ALSO TOLD ME IF THESE UPGRADES HURT MY COMPUTER HE WOULD REPAIR IT FOR NOTHING EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT GO TO SIGHT
(COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS-430-PMSR/P Max: 400W, Peak: 430W Power) THE ONLY DIFFERENT IT HAS AN OFF & ON ROCKER SWITCH I DRILLED A ONE HALF HOLE AND THEN TOOK A SMALL FILE AND SQUARED OFF THE CORNERS FIT RIGHT IN-PRICE LESS THEN 40.00 DOLLARS. TRY IT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.