Computer Help forum

General discussion

Dell Dimension 2400 System Recovery

by MrsDinoDoug / August 23, 2006 7:12 PM PDT

Can anyone provide an infantile set of instructions in performing a COMPLETE systerm recovery to include all the system disks for a Dell Dimension 2400 - all the guidance I have found in search includes so much convoluted information that I cannot understand what they are saying - it is like that saying - TOO MUCH INFORMATION

I have just above average computer savvy - I need something so elemental such as Hit Key, Arrow up/down, Enter, Escape - something that just guides me to bringing the system back to the original state at time of purchase

I have an HP - doing a system recovery on it is very simplistic - and added hurdle is I am trying to assist my brother via telepone - he is unable to access the internet to find the guidance needed

We succeeded in recoverying the XP portion, but the monitor was distorted by oversized fonts and no scroll bar ability - we tried every troubleshooter we could access but Display settings would not allow him ability to change the resolution - I believe we need to reinstall all the discs but I was unable to give him good guidance - just poor advice - I truly am at a loss

As I stated in the beginning, I am a person that needs the most elemental degree of instruction - instruction without all the extra information I haven't a clue what it means

Anyone's advice and guidance wil be gratefully received

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Dimension 2400 System Recovery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Dimension 2400 System Recovery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First, Some Questions....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2006 12:20 AM PDT

By "COMPLETE recovery", do you mean starting from scratch, reformatting, then reinstall everything?

The most important part is what items does your brother have at his location?.. Most Dell computers have a a recovery CD that includes the operating system and maybe the various other programs. He should also have a "Resource CD" which includes the drivers for the hardware that came from the factory. The drivers from the Resource CD need to be installed and that could be the reason for the display problem.. Tell us about the EXACT backup CD's that your brother has..

Did he also install other programs such as Microsoft Office (or anything else) that he also needs to install after the standard recovery is made?...

Did he make backups of all his important documents so they can be copied back to the computer after the recovery?

More information please.

Grif

Collapse -
DELL Dimension 2400 System Recovery
by MrsDinoDoug / August 24, 2006 2:51 AM PDT

I appreciate your speedy reply - my brother works for the D.O.T. and is presently out in a very rural area - out of cell phone reach - I have left him a message to email me the exact names/titles of the discs for the computer

The computer originally was my mother's - purchased from DELL in late 2003 - she gave it to my brother just this past week - not very long ago she added extra memory but the computer still had issues that she was unable to resolve

My brother went to his cable company to sign up for internet service and they provided him with the needed software and modem - each time he tried to setup internet service it gave him a JAVA Script error message - it was at this time of utter frustration the decision was made to take it back to the original out-of-box condition - I went to DELL and received instruction for system recovery - it all seemed to go well

After the WELCOME and personal information question/input screens the system rebooted itself - it was at that time the screen advised the resolution was set low - before my brother could respond, it changed itself into an exaggerated font size and no scroll capability - we tried every available troubleshooter we could find with no resolve - it is the original flatscreen 15'' or 17'' monitor (not sure - will ask him for model) and it had excellent resolution until we did the system recovery

This is all I can provide until my brother sends me the names/titles of each of the computer discs from his work email - it may be another day before I can get you that information - I believe I may have done him the most harm - I believe all the discs will need to be reinstalled - I did not realize how difficult a task this was to be - I have a Compaq which is about 6-8 months older than this DELL - I also have an HP laptop - both have very simplistic direction and guidance for doing a system recovery - I have performed it twice on my Compaq - it was F10, click here, click there, a couple of decisions and WHA-LA, baby butt new! DELL has not provided a very user friendly self-help program - just this experience will lead me far, far, away from DELL

I hope to have the disc information available to you this evening - again, your speedy reply and help consideration is greatly appreciated

Collapse -
Good Enough ..Let Us Know When You Have More
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2006 4:45 AM PDT

The task isn't that difficult but unlike your HP or Compaq, the drivers usually need to be installed separately after Windows is installed. Since you mentioned 2003 as the purchase date, it's also important to know whether his Windows XP CD has a service pack included and if so, which one.. If it does not have the current Service Pack 2, then he'll need to reinstall SP2 for XP immediately after installing the operating system and drivers..

And if there are Java script issues, installing the most recent java and windows script engine should help with that issue..

To get you started with the Dell operating CD, you should be able to place the CD in the CD-Rom drive, then restart the computer.. As long as the CD-Rom is set to boot first in the BIOS, you'll see a prompt indicating "Press any key to boot from CD". At the prompt, press the "Enter" key and the process to reformat the machine will begin. You should then be able to follow the steps in the link below:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/sp2installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Once the operating system is installed, then the "Resource CD" should be used to install all the drivers.. After that, Service Pack 2 should be installed from the internet or from a Service Pack 2 CD.

We'll try to work through it but we still need all that information.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by MrsDinoDoug / August 24, 2006 8:22 AM PDT

Have received the information from my brother - I hope this is what you are requesting:

HARDWARE:

A. DELL Dimension 2400 (Late 2003)
B. E171FPB Color Monitor

DISCS:

1. Operating System - Reinstallation CD MS XP Home Edition including Service Pack 1A
2. Drivers and Utilities - Dell Dimension Resource CD
3. Application - Reinstalling Dell Tools System Software
4. Drivers and Utilities Reinstalling V.9x "Capable"/56k Telephony Data/Fax/Voice Modem Software for MSWindows
5. Display by Dell E171FPB Color Monitor Quick Setup

Respectfully
MrsDD

Collapse -
Steps To Recovery
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2006 9:08 AM PDT

Thanks for the information. My previous instructions still apply. I'll list the steps below:

1. To get you started with the Dell operating CD, you should be able to place the CD in the CD-Rom drive, then restart the computer.. As long as the CD-Rom is set to boot first in the BIOS, you'll see a prompt indicating "Press any key to boot from CD". At the prompt, press the "Enter" key and the process to repartition and reformat the machine will begin. You should then be able to follow the steps in the link below:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/sp2installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

2. Once the operating system is installed, then the "Resource CD" should be used to install all the drivers.. After that, Service Pack 2 should be installed from the internet or from a Service Pack 2 CD. With a fast internet connection, you can download the full Service Pack 2 installer using the link below. Burn it to a CD and have it waiting to install in the correct order we've described:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

3. You'll then want to install the items in the Application CD.. Watch that carefully. Some of the items there are simply Dell "junk" (diagnostic stuff) that is not a required installation. If there are actual needed programs on the CD, then install them to your preference.

4. The driver CD for "Reinstalling V.9x "Capable"/56k Telephony Data/Fax/Voice Modem Software for MSWindows" may or may not be necessary.. While installing the various drivers from the "Resource CD" earlier, check to see if there is a modem driver installed at that time. If that's the case, then you probably don't need to install the modem software from this particular CD.

5. The Quick Setup CD for the monitor is normally information only.. Sometimes, there's a .inf driver included but there's really no need to install anything from this CD unless the monitor has problem. It shouldn't.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
DELL Recovery System
by MrsDinoDoug / August 24, 2006 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Steps To Recovery

Dear Grif Thomas

We followed your instructions - we were successful in reinstalling XP Operating System - but there are good luck ended - what happens when XP is finished and rebooted goes back to the resolution of the screen - the font is overblown

does he install the Resource CD in Windows or do we need to install through CD drive from startup? - when he installs in Windows, he is not presented with any options - no boxes to check, or radial buttons, or install, or other - he does get a list of files but we do not know how to run the install

he is getting very frustrated, which in turn makes him a very irritable sort to communicate with - have I damaged or has the hard drive been damaged that it is not restorable/usable - I feel I am not following a sequence that is so obvious but not to my uneducated eye

after turning on the computer and it boots up, it should be noted that the only icon on the desktop is the recycle bin - also, when trying to change the resolution, he cannot move the slider bar and the only option is 16 bit - there is no 32 bit option - when clicking on Advanced in Setting, there is only default monitor - no plug and play option

again - do we try to install after windows boots up and from the desktop or directly from turning on the computer through the CD drive

I apologize for being a frustrating subject

Collapse -
The Drivers Still Need To Be Installed
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2006 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: DELL Recovery System

That's why the "font is overblown". It's also the reason that he can't change the screen resolution. The video driver hasn't been installed yet.. It's on the Resource CD. It doesn't sound like the hard drive is damaged. It simply sounds like your brother doesn't know what he's doing around computers. Even for an experienced user, recovery in this matter will take a few hours..

The missing desktop icons is as designed. The original installation of XP must be "fine tuned" in order to see other icons on the desktop.. Please RIGHT click on a blank area of the desktop, choose "Properties" from the menu. When the Properties window opens, click on the "Desktop" tab, then click on the "Customize Desktop" button. When that opens, place a CHECK mark in the boxes next to "My Computer", "Internet Explorer", "My Network Places" and "My Documents". Now click on OK, then "Apply", then OK.

Next, the resource CD can be simply placed in the CD-Rom while in Windows and it should autorun. It then installs itself and then allows the user to bring up the various driver installers for the machine.. If it doesn't autorun when placed in the CD-Rom, then open "My Computer" that you've now got on the desktop, then double click on the CD-Rom icon. (Or RIGHT click on the CD-Rom icon, choose 'Explore" from the menu.) There should be a "setup.exe" file on the CD to double click on and it will install itself and then show the various drivers..

If he can't run some of these simple types of procedures, it may be necessary to get help to him. Don't blame yourself for your brother's inexperience on a computer.. I've worked with people over the phone where it took 30 minutes to teach someone how to open their e-mail program.. It's now easier, quicker, and cheaper to simply visit those types of individuals and perform the work myself. It's up to you.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
RECOVERED ! ! !
by MrsDinoDoug / August 24, 2006 6:57 PM PDT

Wha-La ! ! ! - Success - we finally have success - after he calmed down a bit and took a few minutes away from the project, he was able to better understand my interpretation of your instruction - we 1st looked for the video driver and rebooted - it came back looking as fresh and crisp as it looked at my mother's home - once we achieved this monumental task, he was more receptive to going back and repeating steps that proved unsuccessful earlier

I cannot express the feeling of accomplishment I could hear in his voice over the phone once he was able to view the screen in its intended form

Thank you so very much - you have the patience of JOB - I will give you a further update when we have done all the updates and installation of the printer and any other significant achievement

Appreciative and Grateful

Respectfully
MrsDD

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good Job & Let Us Know How It Goes
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 25, 2006 1:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
complete recovery
by tkay2000 / October 27, 2007 5:16 PM PDT

Hello
I have a dell dimension 2400 and I would like to format and start over I have the Resource cd but i dont know how to format it or how to put in the winxp part of it I know how to put in the drivers , I think so if you can help me
Thanks tk2000

Collapse -
You'll Need More Than The Resource CD..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 28, 2007 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: complete recovery

The Resource CD is a good but as shown in our discussion in this thread, you'll also need the XP reinstall disc as well.. The list from "MrsDinoDoug" earlier in this thread indicated there were a number of discs shipped with the computer. Here's that list again:

DISCS:

1. Operating System - Reinstallation CD MS XP Home Edition including Service Pack 1A
2. Drivers and Utilities - Dell Dimension Resource CD
3. Application - Reinstalling Dell Tools System Software
4. Drivers and Utilities Reinstalling V.9x "Capable"/56k Telephony Data/Fax/Voice Modem Software for MSWindows
5. Display by Dell E171FPB Color Monitor Quick Setup

In order to install the XP part, you'll need to discs above or something that will serve in it's place. Then you can follow the instructions as given earlier in this thread.. Read the posts please.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Complete reinstall for dimension 2400
by jrcaudill / August 14, 2007 2:03 AM PDT

I do not have the service tag or the service number for the computer, I update window ME with window XP, Now it does not recognized the sound card,unfortunatley my girlfriend does not know the make of the sound card so i can not download the right driver. How can I find out the make and model of the sound card. also if anyone can provide help on what drivers I need to down load from dell, I looked up the drivers for the computer, I do not know which drivers to download and which not to download

Thank you
Joe

Collapse -
You can use Belarc Advisor ...
by Edward ODaniel / August 14, 2007 3:21 AM PDT

which can be downloaded from this link:
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

That will provide you with a complete inventory of your maching and in the case of a Dell it will also tell you what your service tag number is.

If you have any more questions about your specific problem PLEASE start your own thread because often thes old threads just get ignored as a probable glitch of the forum software.

Collapse -
Much Thanks
by jrcaudill / August 14, 2007 4:46 AM PDT

Mr O'Daniel,

Thanks for all your advice and the download site on how to solve this problem

Joe

Collapse -
by dixiedm / October 4, 2011 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Much Thanks

THANK YOU... THANK YOU !!!

Even though it has been 5 years since these were posted... these posts helped me bring my Dell 2400 back up to speed, I was having the same problems as Mrs.DD, and followed your instructions and SUCCESS... again... THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!

Dixie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.