PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Dell Dimension 2400 RAM Capacity??

by Gratefulgary / September 9, 2005 2:17 AM PDT

I have a nearly two year old Dell Dimension 2400. All the literature pertaining to this model, that I have found, states that it has a capacity of 1GB RAM. The Crucial scanner says that my system has a capacity of 2GB. The Crucial rep. I spoke with tells me that they sell a lot of 1GB sticks for the 2400 and that they guarantee compatibility.

On the other hand, I can't get anyone at Dell who both speaks english well enough to communicate with and knows the product well enough to answer the question.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2400 that can tell me if the model can accommodate 2GB RAM?

And, if I install a total of 1.5GB RAM, have I exceeded the point of diminishing returns? I use several apps simultaneously and the low virtual memory notice pops up too often for my taste.

System is P4 2.4GHz with ~640 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM currently installed, Win XP SP2 Home.

Thanks.

Gary

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Dimension 2400 RAM Capacity??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Dimension 2400 RAM Capacity??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks like overkill
by Stan Chambers / September 9, 2005 2:22 AM PDT

I doubt that you would see any significant improvement over 512 MB. With 1.5 mb of ram, you'll need to upgrade the cpu to see a difference.

Collapse -
wrong
by napanap / February 3, 2013 12:36 PM PST
In reply to: Looks like overkill

Your statement is wrong. If he runs lots of apps simultaneously and he is getting low virtual memory then he will definitely benefit from adding RAM.

Collapse -
total of 1.5GB RAM
by jcrobso / September 9, 2005 2:43 AM PDT

With XP you start to enter the land of diminishing returns when you go over 512mb. The thing about XP is the fact that it is a slave to the swap file (A.K.A. vitual memory) on the Hard drive. So a low on virtual memory is a hard drive problem or alocation of space problem, not a main memory problem. John

Collapse -
really?
by napanap / February 3, 2013 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: total of 1.5GB RAM

This is an old thread, but wow this comment is so incorrect that I feel I should rebut it in case anyone comes across it. It is NOT a "hard drive problem" when you get a "low on virtual memory" message. You absolutely will benefit from upgrading your RAM past 512 MB on an old XP machine such as the Dimension 2400. I would go ahead and upgrade to the maximum capacity.

Collapse -
This old discussion is closing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 12:53 PM PST

Please start a new one if it's needed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.