Desktops forum

General discussion

Dell desktop won't start with power button

by laurelfoster711 / August 5, 2009 4:24 AM PDT

My dell dimension 4500 was accidentally turned off at the power strip and now won't start with the power button. There is a light behind the button but no lights on back of computer. If I hold the button for about 15 secs, the light goes out but still no power to computer--nothing happens. I know enough to open up the computer, but I am afraid to mess with the power supply or power switch board. Help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell desktop won't start with power button
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell desktop won't start with power button
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Links, comments.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 4:49 AM PDT
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500/tour.htm shows the DIAGNOSTIC LIGHTS.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500/index.htm is the top of the documentation so follow that to http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500/solve.htm#1153217 where it writes "If the power light is amber and green ? The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.

* Ensure that the microprocessor power cable is securely connected to the system board.
* If the problem persists, contact Dell. See "Contacting Dell" in the Dell Owner's Manual for the correct number to call."

Not to hold your hand here but wander around the documentation and find that connection and with the AC removed from the machine unplug and plug it back in and retry.
Bob
Collapse -
dimension power
by laurelfoster711 / August 5, 2009 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Links, comments.

Thanks Bob. I did what you said but still no power. I unplugged the main power connector and then plugged it back in, but still no power.
Do you think it's the power supply? I have a Dimension 2400 that I'm not using--could I try that power supply in it?
Thanks
Laurel

Collapse -
Try
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: dimension power

Try finding the documentation on the diagnostic lights. Mind you I have things like Volt meters and more at my disposal but armed with just this PC we have only what those lights tell us to work with.
Bob

Collapse -
no power to dimension 4500
by laurelfoster711 / August 5, 2009 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Try

I checked my manual and all it tells me is how the different colors of the diagnostic lights mean different things--but the lights on the back of my computer don't light up at all. It says when the computer starts, these lights should flash and then remain green. However, I have no lights!!!

Collapse -
If you look at the document links I offered.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 6:17 AM PDT

That has that item listed. Sorry but I offered these links so you can do the hard work. There are no paid support staff here but I know people just need a little start in the right direction.

Collapse -
no power to 4500
by laurelfoster711 / August 5, 2009 7:26 AM PDT

Thanks for the help. I have done everthing that the links recommend, but still no power. I guess I will have to call Dell-I just wanted to avoid that if at all possible.

Collapse -
Just a spoiler.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: no power to 4500

the pages I linked to, if you follow them tell you its the power supply (most likely).

But given the cost of service be careful about paying for repairs.

Collapse -
was power supply
by laurelfoster711 / August 5, 2009 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a spoiler.

I took it to a friend and it WAS the power supply. Any advice on a good place to get a replacement for a Dell Dimension 4500 rather than my searching for hours on the internet? Thanks.

Collapse -
Just the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: was power supply

newegg.com has dozens that will work from what I read on the documentation.

Collapse -
power supply
by laurelfoster711 / August 5, 2009 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Just the usual.

Thanks for the information.

Collapse -
Dell compatible PSU
by Willy / August 6, 2009 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: power supply

Make sure any PSU you buy is Dell ready. Its important as some Dell PSU to include the LEDs for troubleshooting and possible connects are NOT all provided by the std. generic PSU out there. Thus verify before purchase it states it will work in your Dell model#. Check the link provided:

http://www.power-on.com/dell.html

You check the www for sources, again be sure for Dell usage.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Dell power button
by mike mason / August 7, 2009 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell compatible PSU

Do you have a reset button on the front of the tower? If so this should fix the problem.
Mike

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.