Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dell Demension 3100 with #1 and #3 light are lit up

by mike1773 / August 14, 2009 2:32 AM PDT

i have this desktop that im tring to fix. its a demension 3100 and the service tag is JY9XB91 and it has factory memory that is 512 ddr2 sddr 533mhz and im tring to install 2gig dd2 800mhz. but the main problem is when i turn it on the post load doesn't load up and the monitor doesn't kick on, it stays in standbye mode. then it gives me a series of beeps and the power button lights up green then the #1 and #3 lights up also. according to dell webside it means memory problems. ive tried many ways to install the memory and nothin is working..can anyone help me Please

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Demension 3100 with #1 and #3 light are lit up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Demension 3100 with #1 and #3 light are lit up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dell BIOS beep codes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 14, 2009 2:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
beeps
by mike1773 / August 14, 2009 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell BIOS beep codes

yes it said the 1-3-1-1 is the memory modular. and to reseat the memory. I have done it many times and has made no changes. still the same. any other advice????

Collapse -
I know very little about this, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 14, 2009 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: beeps

what I know is;

1] Go back with what worked before. Test to see if that still works now.

2] Don't 'mix and match' RAM modules. Are you trying to add the 2GB module to the existing 512MB module? My 'vague' knowledge is that RAM modules of different speeds and/or size may not mesh.

3] What else works? Does the 2GB module work on its own?

4] If using only the 512MB module works, install that back on its own, and visit http://www.crucial.com Try their Memory Tester tool, and see what they suggest. Does it match up to what you have?

Mark

Collapse -
test
by mike1773 / August 14, 2009 6:48 AM PDT

i have put in the old memory and same code. i have not mismatched the memory. i use one or the other. and all have the same code. also just a note{ i took all the memory out and turn it on and the same code comes up} puzzled........

Collapse -
Other tests before I have to pass.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 14, 2009 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: test

Try those sticks in another computer. I would suggest try another computer's memory in this system, but I don't know what the risks would be to that memory.

I wonder if there is any damage to the DIMM slots. if so, this looks like a hardware repair/replacement problem. But that is way out of my league.

Mark

Collapse -
sticks
by mike1773 / August 14, 2009 7:30 AM PDT

i have tried the sticks in a simular computer and they do work so it looks like a mother board replacement is in store. well thank you for all ur help..

Collapse -
memory problems
by mike1773 / August 15, 2009 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: sticks

Is there anyone else that might of had this same problem that might want to shed some light on my problem to help out...im willing to try anything at this point. please help with all forums or blogs with this same problem. thanks ahead of time

Collapse -
Don't mix speed
by jainbhawna12 / August 15, 2009 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: memory problems

All RAM MUST be the same speed. All the RAM in one channel must be the same. For Rambus, all spots must either have a ram molecule or a ram placeholder, this does not apply do DDR(1,2,3).

Collapse -
I did
by oneclick / August 16, 2009 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: memory problems

In my case, I unplugged all power, unplugged monitor cable, pulled Battery and held power button for 10 seconds to drain all residule power. replaced Battery and put in original (known good ram), reset date and time in BIOS and machine booted. But that was my case

Collapse -
Dell Demsion memory issue
by billzhills / August 15, 2009 1:52 AM PDT

Two Items ...

Image at Dell web site indicates a BTX MB.
If so they have a high failure rate.

This board will not post or return error code if
memory slots are not populated properly.

Slot 1 or 3 for single memory chip.

Slot 1-3 / 2-4 if using 2 chips.

Not sure how much memory is supported per slot.
As suggested check w/ Kingston or Corsair for this information.

Luck

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.