Desktops forum

Question

Dell Customizable 8500 or iMac

by CrazyAdventure / January 12, 2013 7:05 AM PST

I mainly want a computer for multitasking, watching videos, playing music, and playing web browser games. I like having multiple programs open and/or multiple tabs open in my browser(especially with media such as videos and/or games, so I find my shockwave plugin crashing often.)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Customizable 8500 or iMac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Customizable 8500 or iMac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just checking
by bob b / January 12, 2013 7:45 AM PST

Crashing.
Are we talking shockwave player or flash player?

If flash.........run this through google.

"disable flash hardware acceleration"

Collapse -
Shockwave
by CrazyAdventure / January 12, 2013 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Just checking

i Said Shockwave

Collapse -
Yup....but
by bob b / January 12, 2013 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: Shockwave

Sometimes flash player is labeled 'shockwave flash'.

Folks confuse that with 'shockwave player'.

Their two different animals.

Collapse -
Answer
Try the usual anyway.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2013 11:03 PM PST

Google this: Disable Flash Hardware Acceleration.

Also, you didn't ask a question. I would be guessing what your question is here.
Bob

Collapse -
Question
by CrazyAdventure / January 13, 2013 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: Try the usual anyway.

My question is should I get the base model of the iMac 27 or a dell 8500. Online it's on clearance right now, the clearance model is the one I'm looking at. There's also the 8500 special edition but I think I may go for the original if I go for the 8500.

Collapse -
That's like asking
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: Question

If you want ice or hot cocoa. These are very different machines and very dependent on your needs and wants.
Bob

Collapse -
Well...
by CrazyAdventure / January 13, 2013 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: That's like asking

I already described those and in those terms both are great but as for specs the xps 8500 seems to be better. I just wonder if apple may just be better quality and better support if need be. My current computer is a dell and I have a laptop that I mainly use for leisure and short consumption that is also a dell.

Collapse -
Some folk can't make the change.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: Well...

All your apps die and some folk can't get their files over. Support may not extend to what you are looking for. That is, I rarely find much support at the store past the basics.
Bob

Collapse -
Files & Apps
by CrazyAdventure / January 13, 2013 7:18 AM PST

As for files and apps well, I just mainly care about some photos. I don't use much of anything except some video players, spotify, and the internet. I got music on itunes but i know that can go over.

Collapse -
Check over in the iTunes forums.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: Files & Apps

If it was that easy, you would not see the question "how to move my itunes to my new computer?"

Many folk don't have backup copies (or just have one lone copy) and learn something during the move.

Given the use you may like an Apple. No constant scanning for viruses.
Bob

Collapse -
BAck ups
by CrazyAdventure / January 13, 2013 2:06 PM PST

I got my music on my laptop and phone so it's all good

Collapse -
Disabled
by CrazyAdventure / January 17, 2013 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: Try the usual anyway.

I've done what you suggested. Now that plugin just crashes less often than usual but still an annoyance.

Collapse -
Then a little progress.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: Disabled
Collapse -
Xps 8500
by CrazyAdventure / January 17, 2013 6:29 AM PST

Well I already decided on the iMac. You can't see the PC online anymore at least the model I was thinking about anyway because it was part of a clearance event. If you go to the member exclusive section you can see other models they still have left before they're sold out and gone for good.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.