Dell forum

Question

Dell Core Overheating

by StijnVer1990 / March 12, 2013 7:59 PM PDT

Hi all
I have a dell studio 1747 and having a hard problem. My gpu and cores are running extremely hot. When not doing anything gpu runs at +-61°C and my cores at 73°C.

When playing a game this runs up fast to 90°C and more and then my laptop shuts off.

I have tried a lot. I have the latest drivers installed, blew out air with a gas duster and put my maximum processor usage on 95% so turbo boost won't turn off. Nothing helps...would very much appreciate if anyone could help me out.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Core Overheating
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Core Overheating
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: laptop overheating
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 12, 2013 8:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell Core Overheating
http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/studio-1747/pd makes me think this is more a multimedia laptop than a gaming laptop.

Unless one of the fans is defective, there's nothing you can do about it. I'm afraid even a Dell tech can't do anything about it (except replace that broken fan and re-apply heat paste), but you should consult their Customer Service about that.
If it's still in warranty, it could well be that returning it (if they can't fix it) is the best option.

Kees
Collapse -
Answer
Your'e Gaming !
by itsdigger / March 12, 2013 8:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell Core Overheating

on a laptop! That equals HOT. .. How old is the computer ? You may need to take it apart and give it a proper cleaning and new thermal paste.

Collapse -
Re: laptop overheating
by StijnVer1990 / March 12, 2013 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Your'e Gaming !

Its just a bit older then 2 years so out of warranty...gave it a proper cleaning already but didnt try the thermal paste. Still aside from gaming, 70+°C when just facebooking is waaaay too much...

I also heard that it may be an adapter problem? Because the laptop has an i7 processor and some say the 9v adapters aren't good with that, that I need a 12v. Can someone verify this?

Collapse -
Let's make a few assumptions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2013 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: laptop overheating

1. You are using Dell adapters they supply for this model.

2. It's 2 years old so it's a safe bet the heat sinks and vents are not that clean. Also, the heat sink compound could be dry or the heat sink is not where it belongs.

There is a trick I use to drop the CPU temp on i7 laptops. We use Windows to limit the number of cores. Start with 6 and see if that helps.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.