Peripherals forum

General discussion

Dell AIO Printer 948 - USB Port "Communication Not Available

by boyd1212 / October 26, 2009 11:41 AM PDT

I have a 948 Dell ALL-IN-ONE Printer, I have a Dell Desktop Inspiron 530 running SP2. I purchased all this at one time from DELL about 1 1/2 yrs ago. When I received it all I did was install the printer drivers and started printing and everything was fine until about a month ago my 16 yr old son can to me and said the computer will not boot up sure nuf there was a screen being displayed with 1-8? options to choose from anyone of these options you chose would not do anything even though it allowed you to select them. SO to sum up the story I re-installed the OS from scratch including patches etc, with the restoration cd's DELL provided and printer drivers as well that DELL provided. And this is where I am, UNABLE TO PRINT. Anyone's help would be a GOD send since I have researched this thing until I'm blue in the face. signed STRESSED

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell AIO Printer 948 - USB Port "Communication Not Available
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell AIO Printer 948 - USB Port "Communication Not Available
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try compatibility mode :-)
by zaki_t81 / November 12, 2015 2:36 PM PST

Have you by any chance changed/upgraded the OS on the computer? The last patch from DELL for Printer 948 seems to be for Win Vista, but you can run it in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and Windows 8 (windows 8 compatibility mode works for windows 10 as well).
This patch will just remove the existing dell printer on your computer, so you can start from scratch.
dell cleanup

Then try and download the appropriate driver for you. This one is for my computer as it's 64 bit:

Once downloaded, make sure you right click > properties > compatibility >> change the compatibility according to your Windows OS apply and then run the driver installation and it should hopefully work ok :-).

Good luck!

Collapse -
Thanks for filling them in on this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2015 2:47 PM PST

This must have been a hard one since 6 years passed. Glad it got an answer!

Collapse -
by zaki_t81 / November 13, 2015 12:39 AM PST

Lol! I only saw the month and thought it's recent, didn't even notice the year :-).
Oh well it's there if anyone else needs it!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.