Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell 700m speaker issues

by 0wnz / August 6, 2006 5:23 AM PDT

Seems like 1 year after I bought my 700m, the speakers are acting up. The speakers don't work unless I almost close the lid, at which point they cut in. I have been using headphones, but once in a while, the speakers cut in while the headphones are plugged in (should never happen). I already removed the keyboard and checked the audio cable connection, but I can't think of anything else it could be. I carry my laptop around a lot, but I don't drop it and this problem started overnight.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell 700m speaker issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell 700m speaker issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A good tech would fix this for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2006 10:43 AM PDT

That headphone jack and your symptoms make me write that any competent tech could cure that without replacing the motherboard. However I only know of ikenfixit.com and notefix.com for those that don't have a good tech or an engineering friend.

Bob

Collapse -
Dell Speaker problem is the wires, not the speakers
by Spdlmt150 / August 28, 2006 10:24 AM PDT

The problem surfacing with (at least) the Dell 700m has to do with the wires and the way they are routed. The wires come up through the right hinge, and directly into the plastic speaker housing. As there is little wire there to allow twist, they break off at the housing, which makes them a nightmare to try to solder. I am looking into making a replacement kit for this laptop, which is looking to work out around the $40 range, and anyone with a screwdriver & 20 minutes could replace the speakers & reroute the wiring to avoid this problem. As for now, everything I have seen says that if you buy a Dell, it's YOUR problem once the warranty expires.

Collapse -
Speaker wires 700m
by henrygriggs / September 6, 2006 2:32 AM PDT

Please let us know when your fix is ready. Dell wants $550.OO for out of warranty service for this problem. Poor design on their part and should be reconciled or at least acknowledged by them.

Collapse -
LCD Ribbon Cable
by scentlessapprentice / September 7, 2006 1:31 PM PDT

Can you fix the problem by replacing the LCD ribbon cable? Also, I'm definitely interested in your solution to this problem. So any updates on your product are welcomed. Thanks.

Collapse -
@ Spdlmt150
by kryssieann / October 2, 2006 7:23 AM PDT

Did you figure out how to fix this/design a fix yet? I am in need of it as well. I am going to pull mine apart tonight to see if I can "adjust" the wires any and see if its just getting pinched. If not I could use your help when you figure out how to do it (bing mine went out of warranty in Aug and now the problem started last week!) Thanks in advance, can send you along my email if you need it to talk about the fix. Thanks!

Collapse -
Similar problem encountered with Dell 700m
by glyguy40 / October 3, 2006 3:03 PM PDT

Hello,

I too have run into speaker problems with the Dell 700m. On my laptop the left speaker shorts out when the screen is open more than ~90 degrees to the keyboard. I figured it must be a wire problem and according to this blog it apparently is. If anyone has a solution to this I would like to know. Is there a kit available to fix the issue, or does anyone know if this is a problem easily solveable by a competent technican? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Collapse -
i have the same problem
by mmyye / October 23, 2006 6:18 AM PDT

can we report more issues like that, so dell can have a recall on that design? so we don't need to spend $$$$. i saw a lot of people saying that problem already, i have the exactly problem over 90 degree, not working, and less than that is working, later on not working at all. i called dell in china, they said they gonna replace the whole lcd, which gonna cost $400 bucks, what the f. add 100 more u can get a brand new laptop nowdays. ....

Collapse -
Speaker Kit
by dhauke / February 25, 2008 9:10 AM PST

You mentioned that you were coming up with a speaker kit for the Dell 700M. Do you have that available yet?

Thank you,
Darlene Hauke

Collapse -
Just got the same problem!!
by DTM880 / October 16, 2006 1:06 AM PDT

My 700M speakers are having issues exactly as you described. I bought mine back in March 2005. The problem happened overnight for me as well. First noticed it sometime last week.
I take great care of my laptop and have never dropped or mistreated it.

Collapse -
I too have this problem
by JayB54 / November 10, 2006 8:09 AM PST

I made the mistake of purchasing two of these 700m systems while trying to expand my business. Turns out I only needed one, and one of them exhibits the speaker problem (at least I have the backup system then, ey?). If any of you kind souls does come up with a fix for this, please let me know.

Collapse -
same here
by drewu / June 3, 2007 1:07 PM PDT

I have the exact same problem, both of my speakers on my 700m don't work unless I close the lid most of the way.

Collapse -
See above or consider using the jack for externals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2007 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: same here

Did you read the replies so far? It's a minor repair but costly since it's a laptop and you have to get to the motherboard to fix it. Here's a few places to ask for a price at.

Try ikenfixit.com and notefix.com

Bob

Collapse -
Dell Speaker wires
by steb123 / August 5, 2007 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: same here

I had sent my 700M back to dell the first time the speakers went out. I believe they replaced the whole LCD screen. That was under warranty. Speakers went out again. This time I took it apart. It's so obvious what happened, The edge of the plastic thin cover in front of the screen(has the power button in it)is sharp and it cuts the wires a little bit every time the top is raised or lowered. There is enough extra wire to solder the wires back on to the speaker. I filed down the sharp edge AND covered each wire with wire insulation from a larger gauge wire. This will not happen again now. I can't believe Dell just replaced the entire screen, new speakers and all and then sent it back knowing that the wires would eventually get cut again. What they should do at the least when repairing this problem is file down the sharp plastic edge that cuts the wires.

Collapse -
Another one bites the dust
by jeffwice / August 30, 2007 9:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell Speaker wires

Hi All...

Yet another speaker defect here. Same as everyone else, the speaker wire was severed on the right hand side, forcing me to use headphones except when the unit was almost completely closed (in which case the sound would be intermittent). Fortunately, this was under warranty.

J

Collapse -
Yep Dell 700m speakers stink
by kmayrn / September 7, 2007 1:17 PM PDT

Same problem here - started where I had to close the lid somewhat to get sound. eventually, the wires broke completely. I am sure not giving Dell any money on this one - they are well aware of this problem see their suport forum

(http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_audio&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=28481&c=us&l=en&cs=19&s=dhs).

A friend with a much newer dell Model has the same design - speakers on screen versus laptop. Wonder if it will happen to hers too. Stinks they do this knowingly then refuse to fix it.

Collapse -
Easy fix
by ender9492 / September 14, 2007 1:47 PM PDT

It's true that the 700m speakers break due to the wear-and-tear from the screen hinge, but it is a rather simple fix... if you're willing to dish out $40, and 20min of time...

There are replacement speakers available on ebay for about 40 bucks, and all you have to do is take the panel above the keyboard, and the front panel on the screen off. You can use a flat tip screwdriver for the keyboard panel, and a cross-tip screwdriver to take the keyboard off. A crosstip screwdriver can be used on the front-screen-panel screws, which are located underneath all the rubber feet on the panel. There is also a hidden screw under a tab next to the indicator lights on the front panel. Unscrew all those, and use a flat tip to carefully pry the front panel off, and then you can clearly see where the speakers are, and where, and how to put the replacements on.

Collapse -
How to repair the speaker problem?
by walterkflau / January 14, 2009 2:03 PM PST
In reply to: Dell Speaker wires

Hi steb123,
I have the same problem but never thought to fix it myself. It sounds simple enough to do but can you tell me how to take the laptop apart so I can get access to the wires for the fix?

Walter

Collapse -
Since you have a Dell 700M
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 10:05 PM PST
Collapse -
Experiencing same problem.
by Matok83 / December 16, 2008 11:58 AM PST

My Dell 700m speakers are acting up, they only worked when the screen was halfway down closed few weeks later it completely went soundless. I took out the top panel with a screw driver and the wires were completely CUT! I will call Dell and complain. My Dell notebook has this problem because of DELLS POOR WORKMANSHIP. If it was built right then the wires wouldn't of been cut. In other words Dell's poor workmanship caused my wires to get cut. That's like knowingly selling me a Notebook, knowing that it will backfire on me in a few years, hoping that I wouldn't have my extended warranty and then trying to charge me $500 for repair that shouldn't cost more than $40. I could buy a new Notebook for $500. Ifthey made the mistake, they need to fix it. It's dishonest business. Warranty or no Warranty, it's an on going problem with most dell 700m customers and in a way we all got screwed. Another incident I had: My HP notebook was out of warranty the hinges broke, came to find out that many people were complaining. There was a class action suit going around and people were signing up. I even signed up. I spoke to 8 Dell reps, allt old me nothing they could do. When you speak to someone in India for sure they will tell you there is nothing they can do. When you get someone from the corporate office, you have much better chances. I called HP mentioned the class action suit and taht many other customers were experiencing the same problems with the same model, next day i got a call from HP and they repaired the hinges for me free of charged 1 year after my warranty expired. There is an old saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". I have not tried yet to complain to Dell, just found out today about the wires being cut. A letter from an attorney to dell should also do the trick. I'll look into a class action suit and post it on this website.

-Arie Goldman

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.