Peripherals forum

General discussion

Dell 3300 wireless printer adapter won't allow printing

by boxermom / October 23, 2005 8:30 AM PDT

I installed the wireless adapter as directed to both the Dimension 4600 desktop and the Inspiron 6000. The desktop communicates fine with the Dell AIO 962 printer, but not with the laptop. Dell couldn't help so I am returning the adaptor. What other option do I have so my desktop and laptop can both print wirelessly? Thanks. This has been making me NUTS!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell 3300 wireless printer adapter won't allow printing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell 3300 wireless printer adapter won't allow printing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Possible work around for your issue
by Canice MacThomas / October 23, 2005 1:30 PM PDT

I also own a entire home network centered around a Dimension XPS pc, two Inspiron laptops, a pocket pc and a Dell AIO 962 printer. After looking at buying the wireless printer adapter, I decided it was easier to have the printer hooked by USB2 cable to the PC, and access the printer through my wireless network, using the share printer features in Windows XP. The only downside is the PC and printer need to both be on, as Dell states in the Dell 3300 listing :
"The 3300 allows you to share your multifunction printer on your wireless network and removes the requirement to keep your PC on 24/7 to share your/ fax/ scanner."

Collapse -
The Dell 3300 should do what you need
by sd210_Austin / October 28, 2005 8:32 AM PDT

It sounds like you have the same general environment as me...and everything works great. As long as you have a "standard" network in your house, the wireless adapter works for printing & scanning from/to any PC on your network.
Things I had to fix before my stuff all worked together:
1)Need a wireless router (peer-to-peer wireless is supposed to work, but I"m not sure if it can handle multiple PCs)
2)Install the printer drivers on all all the PCs you need to print from. The install instructions aren't really clear about this...
3) Get everything working with printing before you try scanning.

I have several friends who have a similar setup and all of us had various networking glitches (passwords, security, drivers, etc) but eventually got everything up and running.
But, like the previous poster said...the only real advantage in the home environment is that with the 3300 adapter, you don't need to leave the USB attached PC on all the time to access the shared printer.

hope this helps...

Collapse -
I am also have issues, but slightly different
by demeulenaere / November 12, 2005 1:06 AM PST

I just received my dell 3300 wireless printer, it was used, but I hook it up and it seems to works fine. Here is the problem. When you do the install, it states to install the printer drivers. I already had them in. I went into the properties, and added a new port and the 962 port showed up, and gave it all the correct MAC address. I printed and it worked. What happens is when i print it will get through usually the first page, then it seems the wireless drops and I am not able to ping the device and the printer job errors out. I lost my printer install, so I downloaded the driver, but for some reason I am not able to install the program unless the printer is direct attached to the computer. In the installation of the wireless it stated to install the printer driver and choose Network. I am not able to do that. Any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks,
Darren

Collapse -
3300 wont install
by mnbrimm / February 22, 2006 11:20 PM PST

3300 made by dell is very easy to use adapter. installation looks difficult but it is very easy. Please remember that only dell printer work effectively works with this adapter.
while installing it is very important to turn off all your firewalls (including windwos firewall). you can install in ad-hoc mode and infrastructure (using wireless router). I would like to know if you are installing using a router or not.
If so, first of all find out whether your connection is using any protocol suchas WEP or WPA. If it is WEP, you must have a WEP key given your ISP. you can find this by looking it under security while configuring the net work.
If it is WPA, then you will have less chancesto install the adapter.

all the best
let me know if the above information is useful

murli
DCSE

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.