Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Deleting shortcut of uninstalled program

by drfugawe / March 17, 2008 7:29 AM PDT

I recently uninstalled a program from my computer, and then realized that there was still a shortcut on my desktop for it. But when I tried to delete the shortcut, windows said it couldn't find it, and I can't delete the shortcut. Must I re-install the program to get rid of the shortcut?
Thanks,
jm

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Deleting shortcut of uninstalled program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Deleting shortcut of uninstalled program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: deleting shortcut.
by Kees Bakker / March 17, 2008 8:28 AM PDT

That's strange.

Go into Windows Explorer, find the Desktop folder in your profile (not too difficult, in XP it's Documents and Settings\yourusername\Desktop) and set the view to detail.
Repeat with Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop (All Users is the folder that holds the icons that are user-independent).

If you find it, you should be able to delete it.

Kees

Collapse -
deleting shortcuts
by jw1ls5n0129 / March 22, 2008 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: deleting shortcut.

how I delete my shortcuts is by "Search" , just go to search and in the files and folders click and type in the box or boxes what he program is and it will bring all the parts of the program up, that includes shortcuts ,right click on the lines of each one and then you see delete ,so delete .an other way is Ccleaner a free program that will find it to but, I like the search just click start and it is there . Cheers John .

Collapse -
Tried Deleting It While In Safe Mode?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 17, 2008 8:29 AM PDT

Restart in Safe Mode, then RIGHT click on the shortcut icon in Windows Explorer, choose "Delete"..

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

If that doesn't do it, then try the free "Moveonboot" program below which should allow you to remove the file:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks guys!
by drfugawe / March 17, 2008 10:14 AM PDT

Kees/Grif,
Tried both your ideas, but there was no sign of the shortcut in WE in either reg or safe mode. However, when I restarted in reg mode after the two tries, voila! The shortcut was gone. Another mystery of the computer world.

Thanks much for your help.
john

Collapse -
That happens sometimes because it is ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 18, 2008 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks guys!

still referenced in the iconcache.

Clicking once on the desktop then pressing the F5 key will usually "disappear" the icon but a re-boot never fails.

TweakUI also works for such problems.

Collapse -
Deleting a shortcut after uninstalling a programme.
by pooch6267 / September 12, 2009 11:21 PM PDT

I couldn't delete an icon which remained on my desktop (as shortcut) because it kept telling me that there was no such programme. Then I read one of your replies which said: Click once on the icon and then press F5...........Voila`, I got rid of the icon.
Thanks to whoever posted that reply.

Collapse -
Pressing F5 to remove stubborn icon
by Techchal7 / February 16, 2011 7:01 AM PST

Thank you very, very much! Clicking on the icon and pressing F5 worked like a charm!

Collapse -
Delete icon
by Jan513 / May 23, 2011 7:48 AM PDT

Thanks I tried the other suggestions, but they didnt work. Yours worked. Thanks.

Collapse -
Worked Great !!
by susanlippincott / September 30, 2012 9:46 AM PDT

Worked like a charm !!
Thanks so much.
It literally took a split second !!

Collapse -
Removing Icon
by BelmarBeach / October 4, 2012 6:18 AM PDT

Great tip. I tried everything without success. Then tried your F5 suggestion once and problem solved. Thanks so much.

Collapse -
..o.0
by agondude / November 15, 2008 8:29 AM PST

You do not need to download something, to delete someting else. Either that's a scam, or a virus. Seriously. Just follow what others have said, and DO NOT download anything that you don't know of, to delete something else.

Collapse -
Are You Talking To Me?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 15, 2008 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: ..o.0

Simply stated, MoveOnBoot is a legitimate program which I've used LOTS of times which allows "locked" files to be removed easily. And I DO "know of" it. Of course, that's if you don't know how to use the Recovery Console, etc.

Since this is a "newbies" forum, I'm guessing you've seldom had "locked" files, malware and otherwise, which you are unable to delete..

Give the program a try if the issue ever comes up and if you ever need to comment on an eight month old post..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Try this
by Crash2100 / March 21, 2008 12:08 PM PDT

Right-click the shortcut and select properties. In the window that appears, click the "General" tab. Now open the folder that is listed next to "Location". If the shortcut isn't in there, I would suggest you try running check disk:

chkdsk c: /r

Collapse -
Did You Read The Posts In The Thread?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 21, 2008 1:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this
Collapse -
Deleting shortcut of uninstalled program
by andyrey / March 22, 2008 1:52 AM PDT

I had a similar problem. My problem was that whenever I tried to delete the shortcut, Windows Explorer crashed. I solved the problem by installing ExplorerXP, a freeware utility available at http://explorerxp.com/. It did not crash when I deleted the shortcut.

Collapse -
Try this tool
by morrie 52 / March 22, 2008 2:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Choose to open
by Escience / March 23, 2008 8:31 AM PDT

If deleting does not work then try the REVERSE way. Check to see how intelligent WINDOWS is working. We all know that the program has been uninstalled but the short cut to the deleted program still exists and windows cannot let you delete the shortcut, WHY??.first thing, this will depend on how the program was uninstalled, number of programs which were using that shortcut and how that program has been operating.(1) User problem.... this is common as some users often ignore rules like restarting your PC soon after uninstalling/Removing a program.(2) Another program might still be using this shortcut if the shortcut has links to shared folder (s).To make it short, instead of deleting that annoying shortcut, right-click on the shortcut then click to open.Let windows search for what was uninstalled, It will fail to find the program to that shortcut then it will give you options whether to fix or delete because the shortcut may no longer work properly. Select to delete then let it take its time to delete it .... and it will delete the shortcut or display a message,,,,then write down that message and let me know....Good Luck

Collapse -
Orignal Post Was Solved...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Choose to open
Collapse -
Shortcut fixer
by frienley / September 13, 2009 12:34 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.