Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Deleting registry value file

by kevinallen12 / December 22, 2012 3:09 AM PST

I have an Acer Aspire 5610 Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. Every time my computer boots up I get this error "Could not load Users\Kevin\LOCALS~1\Temp\1f71ffe60019e08e.exe "

So I found the problem by going to "Regedit" then onto "HKEY _CURRENT_USER" >"Software">"Microwsoft">"Win NT">Current Users>Windows>Load> C:\Users\Kevin\LOCALS~1\Temp\1f71ffe60019e08e.exe I tried deleting this value but all I get is

"Deleting certain registry values could cause system instability are you sure you want to permanently delete this value?"

I then click yes and get "Unable to delete all specified values"

What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Regardless, the fact remains that I have a registry entry pointing to an executable that no longer exists.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Deleting registry value file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Deleting registry value file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use MSCONFIG, not REGEDIT
by wpgwpg / December 22, 2012 3:23 AM PST

Hold down the Windows key and press R. Type MSCONFIG and hit enter. Click the Startup tab. This will show the list of things Windows tries to start when you boot up. You can uncheck anything there but your antivirus program, but try to leave the hardware related things and only remove 2 or 3 things at a time until you find the culprit.
Be glad you were unable to edit the registry. You can easily cause yourself problems that're very difficult to diagnose doing that.

Good luck.

Collapse -
There's a bit more to this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 4:54 AM PST

Just like NTFS file permissions the registry keys have permissions as well. I see no problem in editing the registry but suggest better tools such as HIJACKTHIS to remove items like this to keep folk out of regedit.

But if you must, be sure to read an article about registry permissions first.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: executable that no longer exists.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 22, 2012 4:58 AM PST

Most likely causes:
1. Left over from an install of a (downloaded) program.
2. Malware that settled itself there (in that temp folder), but was removed by one of your security programs.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: executable that no longer exists
by kevinallen12 / December 22, 2012 12:22 PM PST

Could not find in MSCONFIG>startup Sad

Collapse -
(NT) Is it listed in the HIJACKTHIS log?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 2:01 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.