Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Samsung

General discussion

Deleting old Netflix account to activate new one on Samsung

by lunaticluna / April 1, 2011 11:06 AM PDT

I recently bought a new Samsung TV (UN40D6000SF I beleive). Well I set up a netflix account with my Mom's account while she was here. Well long story short now I want to set it up with my own account. Already have my new account set up online and deactivated the TV on the other account and all but can't seem to log off my Mom's account on Netflix app on Samsung to my own, searched the whole internet and tried mostly all buttons on my remote but nothing. Can anyone help on this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Deleting old Netflix account to activate new one on Samsung
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Deleting old Netflix account to activate new one on Samsung
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Deleting old Netflix account to activate new one on Samsung
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 4, 2011 6:21 AM PDT

lunaticluna,

De-activating the account that you no longer want to use on the Netflix website should have done the trick. When you disable or deactivate a device, it's no longer recognize when it connects to Netflix - it would then typically give you the opportunity to enter new code with the new account that you want to use.

But it seems that this isn't the case in this situation, and fortunately there is one remedy I can suggest.

With the unit powered on, press and hold the EXIT button on the remote control for 15 seconds. You should be prompted to "RESET?" Choose YES and [ENTER].

Now, log into your television and connect your Internet. By launching the Netflix App, you should be prompted to enter a code at www.netflix.com/activate or www.netflix.com/samsung

The television will now be referred back to its original factory settings, meaning that you'll have to go through the entire set up as well. If your television was calibrated, you may lose your picture and audio settings.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Got it to work days later but a new concern arrised
by lunaticluna / April 4, 2011 8:17 AM PDT

I tried both "soft" reset(unplugging the tv for a while) and "hard" reset(Holding the exit button 'til asked to "reset) but did not work after several attempts. Even live chatted with the tech guys(twice) but nothing and it did not even reset the setting on the TV (ie wireless password and Pandora remembered the settings after reset).

After I gave up I decided to try it some days later and low and behold it worked. When I checked Netflix app to see if it by luck worked it asked me if "I had an account" and gave me a new code.

So I guess it does not delete everything the day of but a day or so later.

My concern now is that if I decided to replace or sell my TV in the future the "hard" reset did not erase my settings as it was supposed to. That worries me a bit.

Collapse -
Got it to work days later but a new concern arrised
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 5, 2011 7:44 AM PDT

lunaticluna,

I'm surprised, because it's usually instant.

The best way to remove the devices to the activated from the Netflix website. You probably want to do a hard reset anyway if your desire television, because then whoever was purchasing it would have access to your other accounts as well.

Thanks for posting back, I'm sorry my post a solution didn't happen as quickly as I said it would.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same thing on un55es6820
by cool2be / November 25, 2012 6:38 AM PST

I have same issue to no end reset like 100 times. Did everything that customer tech told me still same.

Collapse -
re: Same thing on un55es6820
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 26, 2012 6:26 AM PST
Collapse -
deleting a neflix account from your samsung tv
by helpful_friend / February 15, 2014 7:55 AM PST

hi all,
this is what i discovered on another website and it worked so well..............

Simply on your remote control press in continuously: up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, up, up, up, up. (I am dead serious)......until deactivation page shows.

please try it... it works
thx

Collapse -
follow up from above post
by helpful_friend / February 15, 2014 7:58 AM PST

.......continuously:

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, up, up, up, up

and start over continuously without stopping

... it works
thx

Collapse -
Still doesn't work!
by Scootc7 / February 28, 2014 5:36 PM PST

I have done this but every time I turn my tv off and then back on to netflix, it brings up the old account... Very frustrating as I don't want to have to keep doing that sequence and the logging back in every time I want to use netflix!

Collapse -
If not, please call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2014 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: Still doesn't work!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.