Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Deleting items in the download folder

by texardon / August 24, 2004 7:22 AM PDT

Over time my download folder has grown quite large. Once these items have been installed, is there any danger in deleting items from the folder? I'm running out of space on my hard drive and this seems to be a way of gaining some needed space. Any thoughts? Thanks fo the help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Deleting items in the download folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Deleting items in the download folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Deleting items in the download folder
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2004 7:41 AM PDT

Start with Disk Cleanup and check off all the boxes.

Bob

Collapse -
by texardon / August 24, 2004 8:10 AM PDT

Unfortunately, I can't get to Disk Cleanup. When I go to My Computer, click on Drive C, click on File, the only active lines are New and Close. The Properties option is inactive, so I'm unable to go the the General tab to click on Disk Cleanup. Hope you can help. Thanks

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2004 8:19 AM PDT

That's only one of a few ways to get to disk cleanup. Try the other under Start, Accessories, System tools and such...

Bob

Collapse -
by texardon / August 24, 2004 8:50 AM PDT

Bob, not wanting to be a pest, but I routinely clean out stuff under the System tools option. This still leaves all those programs, etc., in my download file that are taking up 100's of MB. Since I've already installed these programs (or decided not too), is there any harm in just clicking on them in the download folder and deleting them to free up space? Thanks.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2004 8:56 AM PDT

It such are in a TEMP directory, then I clean them out manually if DISK CLEANUP doesn't do so. Temp is temp. And you can clean it if need be. I've yet to break something by this cleanup.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Deleting items in the download folder - Ive pondered....
by Mosonnow / August 25, 2004 8:02 PM PDT

this question and wonder if the answer is to download them to disk. Do you think this might be a good way of dealing with it, or are there copyright aspects, for example, which would mean that they could not be re-installed from disk if the original on the hard drive went wrong? (Unfortunately this is difficult to test in case it messes up the version which is happily running.)

I do happily delete any free software from the download file since it can simply be downloaded again in the event of a problem (assuming of course it has not gone payware in the meantime).

Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: Deleting items in the download folder - Ive pondered....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2004 10:06 PM PDT

Most are concerned that deleting files in TEMP will break some software. It shouldn't and for me never has.

If you have a download directory that has items you don't use and need to move to CD, then go ahead. Just sharing I have a tools directory with items that I use and also have a CD of same. At this point it becames a matter of orginizing.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Deleting items ... By jove she's got it - I think ...
by Mosonnow / August 25, 2004 11:53 PM PDT

Taking the thread as a whole, I think your advice in summary is:

1. Deleting temp files, of which download is one, will not, in itself cause problems, but it is our choice whether we do want to delete items or not.

2. Items can be saved to CD, and current programs can be moved to a self-created Tool Directory.

3. Items moved to a Tools Directory will not save hard disk space.

4. Programs downloaded, but not necessarily installed, can either be transferred to a Tools Directory for later us or deleted along with other remaining items which we've decided we don't need.

5. In this regard, I am assuming that all files which arrived in the Download file and which we have installed and are in use are scattered elsewhere and no longer link back to the Download file in order to keep them running?

Have I got it about right please?

Many thanks
Regards
Mo

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2004 12:15 AM PDT

I think that's a good summary. But I have no program that depends on what's in the Temp or Download directory to run/operate. You should be able to clean up with ease.

Bob

Collapse -
by texardon / August 26, 2004 3:12 AM PDT

I decided to "take a chance" and delete a couple of large programs (Norton security programs) in my Download Folder that I'd installed. Then I noticed different icons in my system trey and other wierd thintgs. They must have been linked as you suggested. Thank goodness I had "Go Back" to set things right again. I guess I won't try that again!

Collapse -
Hmmmmm....
by Mosonnow / August 26, 2004 5:22 AM PDT

Dear Texardon,

Probably best to wait for a further reply from Bob.

A couple of things in the meanwhile that I know:

If you delete anything, it will not put different things into your system tray. It may take things out, so that you have fewer icons, but deletion of programs or downloads will not put different things into your system tray.

You say: "They must have been linked as you suggested". Bob said that his running programs did not depend on the Download file - in other words, he specifically said that there was not a link.

As to weird things happening, you would need to be more specific.

"Go back" is not a feature in ME. The feature in ME is System Restore.

I had Norton Antivirus on my machine, but found that either it did not sit well with my O/S (i.e. ME) or was incompatible with other programs I had running. But deleting it did not - and could not - cause the specific problems you describe.

If you have used "Go back" (or whatever), you must now be back where you started.

Can I suggest you re-read this thread about taking back-ups via Tool Directory or via CD's before deleting anything else. Can I also suggest that you say more precisely exactly what happened, because your account so far is beyond my being able to make further comment.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
by Mosonnow / August 26, 2004 9:06 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.