Mac OS forum

General discussion

Deleting files on a cloned boot drive?

by gagetgirlG5 / March 8, 2010 6:02 AM PST

Computer: Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5, model PowerMac7,3, memory 3GB, Speed 2GHz
External HD: Fantom G Force MegaDisk with eSATA/USB/Firewire and connected via firewire.

Issue: After formating and partitioning the external HD, I used Carbon Copy Cloner 3.2.1 to create a bootable clone drive using one partition. But now I want to make space on the source drive by deleting some files, folders and applications that are taking up too much space. I realize that I cannot do this without deleting files from the cloned boot drive at the same time as it mirrors the other as in ghosting.

Question?: How can I work around this issue post cloning? I've tried to find the answer in the on-line guide, however it doesn't address this specific scenario. It only talks about deleting files that don't exist on the source drive, not the other way around. What happens to data already on the target drive? And, if you already have data on your target drive, the "Incremental backup of selected items" method will only delete those items if: You have selected the "delete files that don't exist on the source" option and
the file does not exist on the source.

Sounds as if this is a one way deal? I need to be able to clean off my source drive to free up hard disk space and really just need a backup of the original. I am running critically low on disk space on the source drive. If I can't delete files from the source without it deleting from the target, how can I erase or reformat just one of my partitions without erasing the entire drive? How can I delete from the target drive without reformatting it and erasing my source drive at the same time? Maybe I should have just backed up my source drive using backup instead of clone.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Deleting files on a cloned boot drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Deleting files on a cloned boot drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot to ask,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 8, 2010 8:09 AM PST

what OS are you running on that G5?

Collapse -
Re: Deleting files on a cloned boot drive?
by gagetgirlG5 / March 8, 2010 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: Forgot to ask,

The operating system I'm using: OS X Tiger 10.4.11 (older G5) can only upgrade to Leopard 10.5.6.

Collapse -
(NT) I only asked because this is the "Classic" System 9 forum
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 8, 2010 9:00 PM PST
Collapse -
Sorry, should I switch to OS X forum?
by gagetgirlG5 / March 9, 2010 12:40 AM PST

My mistake. I must have hit that one by accident.

Collapse -
Not a problem.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 9, 2010 1:45 AM PST

Getting an email reply together today.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.