Desktops forum

General discussion

Deleting disk space

by vt53040 / April 16, 2007 11:24 PM PDT

I have an HP Pavilion a6077c desktop w/an E4400 2.0GHz processor and 2MB RAM. I keep getting this message on my bottom toolbar that tells me I have low disk space on my D drive (recovery drive). When I go to free up space on it with Disk Cleanup, I can only delete my Recycle Bin , remove unwanted programs, or delete shadow copies and old restore points. I've done all this, and no disk space has been freed up and I still get the "low disk space" message. It's annoying.

Am I able to free more up on this drive? And if so, how? If not, how do I keep the message from coming up?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Deleting disk space
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Deleting disk space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2007 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Deleting disk space

For some that's the next step. After that you have to decide what else to delete.

-> You didn't mention if you use the Norton Recycle Bin. If so, empty that.

Collapse -
Norton recycle bin
by vt53040 / April 17, 2007 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at CCLEANER

I have the free subscription to Norton Internet security suitr 2007 for 60 days. I searched their options, and can't find the recycle bin. Does this progrram have that?

Collapse -
Sorry, I don't have any Norton product.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2007 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton recycle bin

Something I haven't used in years...

Collapse -
On your desktop..
by CrashT / April 17, 2007 4:00 AM PDT

When you've got Norton, it turns the desktop icon into "Norton Protected Recycle Bin". Just right click on the icon and there will be two "Empty" options, one for the standard bin and one for the protected bin.

Collapse -
Recycle bin..
by vt53040 / April 17, 2007 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: On your desktop..

I am running Vista, and when I right click on the bin, there is only 1 empty option, and nothing says "Norton".

When I go into the recovery drive D, it gives me a warning telling me not to delete anything in this partition because it contains files used for PC recovery, and any deletion/alteration, could prevent recovery later.

But the window on my toolbar is still popping up telling me to free up disk space....I'm at a loss. It tell me how to free it up w/Disk cleanup, but won't do it, and thens warns me not to alter the partition???? What am I to do???

Collapse -
(NT) Turn off System Restore for your 'D' drive
by linkit / April 17, 2007 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Recycle bin..
Collapse -
How do you turn off the System Restore for your D Drive
by bmpross / December 3, 2009 10:01 AM PST

Don't I need to back up my files? Is this D Drive the back up system?After Reading the remarks in the forum, I am little confused. I do have an external Drive but I don't keep it plugged up. Should I just go in to Recovery and delete all those files?

Specifically, HOW DO YOU TURN OFF THE SYSTEM RESTORE FOR YOUR D DRIVE?mY COMPUTER IS A dELL iNSPIRON 530; MY OPERATING SYSTEM IS vISTA hOME pREMIUM; I have service pack 2; processor Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU; Q660@2.40 GHZ

Collapse -
low disk space
by macdo014 / June 28, 2008 3:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Recycle bin..

this website was super helpful. in short your back up was going to disk D and it was too small to complete back up and filled right up. you need to change that so your backup goes to a disk. click start then on the right click on computer, double click on recovery D and delete everything except recovery. the link explains it more and how to set up the back up
hope it helps
it got rid of that annoying message about low disk space

as far as the norton recycle bin im not too sure. i run norton but have never encountered the recycle bin
Collapse -
Norton Recycle not part of the Security suite-
by tchristoff / April 24, 2007 7:27 AM PDT

I don't believe Norton Recycle Bin is part of their security suite. It's usually included in Norton System Works, so you most likely don't have it.

Collapse -
by vt53040 / April 18, 2007 5:46 AM PDT

Thanks to everyone for there input. After a lengthy discussion with an online HP rep (their getting better w/their customer service), a solution was found. It turns out Microsoft Backup Tool was storing backup files on D drive and running out of space, hence the "low disk space, drive D" error window. I must have inadvertently allowed this by selecting the D drive, and not recognizing it as the HP recovery partition. I went in and deleted the backup files, and all is solved!

Thanks again to all!

Collapse -
D Drive problem too
by clarkkent78 / April 18, 2007 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: SOLUTION FOUND!

Hi doodledog. I just bought my computer and have run into the same problem as well (I'm incredibly computer illiterate). Could you explain in more detail how you fixed the problem? When I went into my D Drive, it told me not to delete anything. Don't I need those back-up files (ie- what are they back-up's of?). Thanks

Collapse -
HP Support link
by linkit / April 18, 2007 4:38 PM PDT
In reply to: D Drive problem too
Collapse -
Low Disk Space HP link
by loveyoutodeathbut / September 11, 2007 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: HP Support link

Dear Linkit,

Thank you so very much for this link! Even tho I have Dell, it still worked after much teeth grinding and brow furrowing.

You helped me greatly!

Collapse -
Drive D...
by vt53040 / April 20, 2007 9:01 AM PDT

Go to the site linkit stated. that's where I went and I printed out the solution to keep for further reference. I found it not absolutely necessary to back up everything I do (I don't store much important info on my system as of now). This "back up" thing was new to me too. At the time and when you do it, you can select where you want files stored. You DON'T want the D drive, pick an exteranl drive (if you have one), or somewhere besides D, as it is a special drive HP pre-installs all the recovery software on. As long as you create back-up disks of the system files (the ones you get only 1 chance to create through Recovery Manager, using Recovery Disk Creator), when you first get your computer, you'll be okay if you need to go in and delete any additional back-up files you saved w/ Microsoft Backup Tool. It took me 5 minutes to delete, and i didn't need to reinstall any software. You'll be okay Happy

Collapse -
Drive D
by Theresanord / May 1, 2007 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Drive D...

Thanks Jennifer!

I just got my HP dv2216 in February and I have had nothing but problems..this is one of them...I had a Toshiba laptop for 5 years prior to this...I NEVER had to backup files!!!

Anyway....I printed the instructions from the website you gave....thanks Again!

Collapse -
d drive
by jlsb099 / May 16, 2007 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Drive D...

what is the website that you went to to clean your d drive? or can you email me directions on how to free up space on the d drive. this is crazy. i got this message after doing the back up disk. i would really appreciate it if you can help me

Collapse -
Here's the Link again (by Linkit)
by morninglory / May 17, 2007 1:10 AM PDT

Hi Linkit, the link only applies to Windows Vista. I have XP. Do you have a link for that? Thanks.

Collapse -
Here's the HP article on this error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2007 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: d drive
Collapse -
Oops, here's the OFF switch for this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2007 1:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
D: Drive problem... (Recovery Drive)
by LeeWilliams / April 20, 2007 2:42 PM PDT

You should be able to move the files from the D: to your C: drive and that should cleanup the Recovery drive (D:)......You can then delete them from the C: drive if in fact you don't need them...

Collapse -
D: Drive Problem...(Recovery Drive) - HP Support no help
by jemert2 / April 24, 2007 1:27 AM PDT

I also spent several calls with HP to no avail. Downloaded the "fix"...which didn't. Backups weren't to that drive. No extraneous "cleanup data" to be found. Finally took a Partion Manager software package and increased the size of the D: partition. That did the trick and I've had no further problem.

Collapse -
drive d
by compdrivingmemad / September 16, 2008 3:39 AM PDT

how do i transfer the files?

Collapse -
Microsoft Backup Tool?
by sbier / April 27, 2007 4:56 AM PDT

Jennifer...Re: the Microsoft Backup Tool, didn't your HP A6077C come with Vista Home Premium? And isn't Vista Ultimate the only version that comes with backup? Thanks, Steve

Collapse -
Drive D Full: low disk space error
by jeanielou4 / March 9, 2008 3:30 AM PDT

I too have an HP Pavillion model a720n. I just bought the Avanquest Professional System Suite 8 for the Anti-virus, spam securtiy. It did an diagnostic and I too got the low disk space on Drive D, which HP partitioned off for recovery purposes. I went to the HP website and typed in my problem and this thread popped up. I have printed this out and will try the remedies mentioned. I am not a geek so I am hoping I can handle this. Thanks to all for their input.

Collapse -
Internet History and VIrtual Memory
by gmh1977 / April 21, 2007 7:38 AM PDT

You may want to take the steps to clean your internet history and index.dat files. This can take a lot of disk space with unnecessary information. Index.dat files can also swell to more than a 100 megabytes. Not much but everything counts.

Also, If your PC is set to use its virtual memory, then can sometimes cause the low disk space error to appear. So, Also cleaning your history files can make for space for your Computer to dump excess info when you running a using a lot of RAM

Collapse -
hard drive problems
by YaMomma007 / April 28, 2007 2:09 PM PDT

i have read alot of complaints from hp customers saying that there hard drives sizes got screwed up or the drives where reversed (c drive had like 5 gigs and d had like 245) and they had to send there computers back to get the drives fixed. maybe that is what happened...

Collapse -
I have the Same Computer and Had the same thing happen when
by Galen20K / April 29, 2007 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: hard drive problems

I have this this same computer and the same thing Happened when I backed up on a DVD-R. What happens is that the Microsoft Backup Tool Creates a "SHADOW COPY" on Partition Drive D which Of course is the Backup Recovery Drive. Its not actually Backing Up or Changing the Partion and I dont believe you accidentally Chose D to backup, thats only the Fault of the Microsoft Backup tool that Came with Vista Premium. Its ok to delete the Shadow Copy from Recovery drive D and not touch the Recovery Program that HP had installed itself, just make sure you're ABSOLUTELY SURE that what you're deleting is the Shadow Copy of the Microsoft Backup and not the Official Software that came with the Computer. Its not really that Tricky to figure out, only a small deal you have when you First Backup for the first time. Hopefully Microsoft Changes that with an UPdate or a workAround you can do yourself otherwise I'm using a Different Program to Backup my Computer from Now on.

AnyWays I hope that Helped because yeah that really bothered me when I had first come across it.

I LOVE the Computer tho and its really a Great Machine!!!!

Take Care

Billy ^_^;

Collapse -
Reply to Galen20..
by vt53040 / April 29, 2007 11:38 AM PDT

Do you know if MSN has created an update to prevent MS Backup from putting shadow capies on D yet? Mine tried to do it again. I've quit running MSBUT till they fix this issue.

Collapse -
Re: Low Disk Space Warning on drive D
by Danni R. / May 14, 2007 1:39 AM PDT

This is what I did on my HP Pavillion Media Center Notebook PC which got the same annoying low disk space warning...

Step by step solution:
Before you get started make sure you know how to back up your registry. Do it! Then proceed as follows...

1.) Go to [Start] => Run

2.) Type into the Open field: regedit.exe

+ Software
+ Microsoft
+ Windows
+ Current Version
+ Policies
+ Explorer (open it!)

4.) In the right-hand window, dbl-click on "NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"
5.) Select Modify
6.) Set value data to "1"
6.) Hit "OK"

If "NoLowDiskSpaceChecks" value is NOT listed then you must add a new DWORD Value:

4.) Right-click in an empty space in the Explorer right-hand area
5.) Select New => DWORD Value
6.) Type NoLowDiskSpaceChecks and enter
7.) Proceed as above to Modify
8.) Set value data to "1"
9.) Hit "OK"

Reboot your system. The low disk space warning bubble should no longer pop up.

Hope you found these instructions clear enough to follow, and helpful.

Danni R.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.