Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Delete Prefetch Files

by slybo / February 17, 2010 4:07 AM PST

With xp and vista I would delete the prefetch files under windows about once a month and it did seem to help. I have just got a computer with windows 7 64bit and was going to do the same. When I go to the prefetch folder I see a small lock icon on the folder, what does that mean? Is it safe to delete the files under prefetch like it was under xp and vista? I have search this under google but only find people that say to do it and then others that say it will only hurt the computer. Hope to get a better answer here. Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Delete Prefetch Files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Delete Prefetch Files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To what end?
by Jimmy Greystone / February 17, 2010 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: Delete Prefetch Files

To what end? Prefetch is aimed at... well... prefetching data and loading it into memory before you actually need it. Deleting these files would likely hinder it's efficacy, since it's likely using some kind of machine learning system to do more accurate predicting.

It's highly unlikely you'll cripple the system in any way, but it seems a bit like shooting yourself in the foot before trying to make a quick getaway.

Collapse -
because
by slybo / February 17, 2010 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: To what end?

I guess because when I started doing this with xp I read how the files would become corrupted or the folder bloated and it was good to delete them and let windows rebuild them. Also the system was not perfect and the prefetch folder would not get updated as it should when you uninstall and installed programs. I notice that it did seem to make xp run better. But I know how things get improved and so wonder if I need to continue this practice of deleting prefetch on a routine. As I said doing a search I get different opions and just like the opions I usually get here. So do I delete them, I guess you are saying no.

Collapse -
If you research this
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2010 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: because

You should find two (maybe more?) lines of thought here. The bottom line is there is so little gain here and no upside.

I'd like to hear what you think about the WINSXS issue instead. What's that? Read http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19411_102-0.html?threadID=347654

That should blow away any of your prefetch concerns.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by slybo / February 17, 2010 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: If you research this

OK, so it seems this is leaning toward leave it alone and find something else to worry about. Thank you for your reply and link. If anybody else has an opion I would like to hear it. Thanks

Collapse -
I agree...
by CassandraF_WinTeam / February 19, 2010 2:50 AM PST

I agree to leave the prefetch folder alone. Each time you turn on your computer, Windows keeps track of the way your computer starts and which programs you commonly open. Windows saves this information as a number of small files in the prefetch folder. The next time you turn on your computer, Windows refers to these files to help speed the start process.

The prefetch folder is a subfolder of the Windows system folder. The prefetch folder is self-maintaining, and there's no need to delete it or empty its contents. If you empty the folder, Windows and your programs will take longer to open the next time you turn on your computer.

Resource: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-prefetch-folder

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

Collapse -
exactly
by electriclott / February 27, 2010 7:20 AM PST

Yes..I experienced the same with XP...however I noticed that it made my Vista machine run slower for a time until windows rebuilt the folder...so basicly it appears that this being a necessary step went out with xp...there is no longer any need to do it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.