Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Delete everything but Windows

by beeneeb / March 29, 2004 6:25 AM PST

My friend's computer is running horribly and I have tried everything that I know to fix the computer except deleting the hard drive and starting over. The problem is, she can't find her Windows CD or any of her startup CD's. Would it be safe to delete everything but the Windows folder? She is running Windows XP by the way.

Thanks,

Brian

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Delete everything but Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Delete everything but Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few choices
by LarryD / March 29, 2004 6:44 AM PST

Instead of deleting everything, you can download a utility that will find her XP Key (the code), with that and another XP CD (presumably yours) she can reformat and start over that way (although she may need to obtain the proper drivers for her PC, presuably available from the vendor's site).

Alternatively, she can buy a brand new box for well under $400 (budget permitting)

Collapse -
Retrieve the XP Key
by LarryD / March 29, 2004 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: A few choices
Collapse -
Re:Retrieve the XP Key
by beeneeb / March 29, 2004 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: Retrieve the XP Key

That would be fine & dandy...but I don't have an XP cd. I'm running off of Windows 98 (I just use the computer for the internet, don't laugh at me). I just want to know if it is safe to delete everything but the Windows folder.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Try this first
by LarryD / March 29, 2004 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Retrieve the XP Key
Collapse -
Re:Try this first
by beeneeb / March 29, 2004 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: Try this first

Been there...done that. I've done everything that I possibly know to do to this system. I run Windows 98 on about 200 MB of ram and it runs better than hers and she has a P2 on XP with 512 MB of ram. I've tried just about everything.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Try this first
by glb613 / March 29, 2004 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Try this first

Where are the installation CDs? I don't know of a company that sells computers without providing either restore CDs, restore ultility on the hard drive or separate CDs with the operating system and factory installed software. If you don't have the originals, see if she can buy replacement copies from the manufacturer.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Retrieve the XP Key
by Papa Echo / April 11, 2004 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Retrieve the XP Key
I just want to know if it is safe to delete everything but the Windows folder.

The straight answer is NO ! during installation, some files are put in other locations too. Without them, Windows will not work properly.
Collapse -
Re:Delete everything but Windows
by willeyram / April 11, 2004 3:22 PM PDT

Have you tried getting ahold of the manufacturer? A lot of the major manufacturers (ie. Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, etc) would be more than willing to provide you with another set of restore disks (usually costing around $10-12). In answer to your original question, I would NOT recommend deleting all of your other folders. The "other" folders hold your programs and even some of your system files. Deleting these might get rid of the program files, but it would leave a LOT of invalid registry entries in the registry. If worse comes to worse, contact Microsoft, once you prove to them that you have a valid copy (assuming you do) they should be able to send you out another copy as well. All should not be lost. Good Luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.