Computer Help forum

General discussion

delete duplicate files by date

by dodge440rt / September 12, 2012 12:44 AM PDT

I copied 8 hard drives to one big drive and ended up with 230,000+ files. There sometimes as many as 8 copies of the same file. They almost always have different dates. I want to if there is a duplicate file eraser that will leave the newest date.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: delete duplicate files by date
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: delete duplicate files by date
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: duplicate files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 12, 2012 1:00 AM PDT

- That 8 copies are in 8 different folders?
- And it's not important in that case from which 7 folders the file is deleted and in which folder the file stays, as long as it is the newest one that stays?
- And filename and filesize are the criteria to tell that files are identical? So if there are many copies of a file, say, admin.xls they can be grouped in groups with the same filename (admin.xls), but possibly different sizes (one group with size 12.786 bytes, one group with size 16.896 bytes, etc) and then in each group only the latest has to stay?
- And: what date has to be used for the comparison (creation date of modification date)?

Collapse -
dlete duplicate files
by dodge440rt / November 3, 2012 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: duplicate files

All that matters is that I keep the newest file. There are several duplicate file deleting programs. Which one should I use?

Collapse -
Then any will do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 4:11 PM PDT
In reply to: dlete duplicate files

Finding duplicate files is the easy step. What you decide to do is crucial. There is no app that can replace your decisions.

Collapse -
duplicate file finder
by LuiFigo / November 3, 2012 7:03 PM PDT

I have used advance care free version and duplicate files deleter that helps in finding duplicate files and deletes the file whether its mp3 format or any other and quite user friendly to use

Collapse -
try Duplicate Files Deleter
by lumilonar / November 18, 2012 1:11 PM PST

This is free software that can be downloaded on to your computer, it finds and deletes duplicate files from hard drive. The Duplicate Files Deleter is extremely effective software that will not only free up your precious storage space, but will also give a boost to the performance of your PC.

You can Sort and organize your media collections and Find duplicate files by content!

Collapse -
duplicate files
by dodge440rt / November 19, 2012 5:07 AM PST

All files are estentially the same size. But size is not what matters. For the most part they are Excel file. All I want is to save the newest one irrgardless of any other criteria. I want software that can do that for me.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.