Laptops forum

General discussion

Delayed typing and unresponsive programs

by davidmccrea / February 22, 2008 6:51 PM PST

I have owned an Dell Inspiron 1501 for a year with no issues. Last week I decided to format the hard disk and install a fresh copy of Windows XP as I have done numerous time before. A problem has occured. Despite the fact I have installed zero programs on the fresh OS and configured nothing, I am experiencing delayed typing. The problem exists in every program - IE, Firefox, MSN, everything. For instance, I type a sentence into a web page and have to wait 30 seconds for the enter text to slowly make it's way across the screen. During this time the computer becomes unresponsive. Furthermore, I decided to install some programs including iTunes, Photoshop, Firefox and Office. iTunes and Photoshop are completely unresposive. They open up but whenever I try to click on something within the program, it freezes!

To try and fix the problem, I have repeated the format of my hard disk twice and reinstalled XP. This didn't work. Then, I tried to run DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) to completely nuke the hard drive incase it was some sort of virus but this wouldn't run becuase of something to do with 'bad sectors' on the disk. Is this causing the delayed typing? Will I need to buy a new hard drive? I have consulted Google, but no solutions I came across were of any benefit.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
David McCrea.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Delayed typing and unresponsive programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Delayed typing and unresponsive programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2008 10:59 PM PST

"I have installed zero programs on the fresh OS and configured nothing,"

Until the supplemental CD Dell provided is used, that's quite normal.

Collapse -
Very proper?
by davidmccrea / February 25, 2008 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: Very proper.

Erm Ok. Anyone got any useful suggestions as to the delay in typing on a fresh windows install?

Collapse -
Finish the install with the Dell supplemental CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2008 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: Very proper?

It comes with the units we get so that's what we use.

Collapse -
What CD?
by altctrller / February 26, 2008 9:35 AM PST
In reply to: Very proper.

Hey, I'm new here on the forum. I had a corrupted hard drive because of a trojan horse, apparently. Thats what the computer guy told me. So, he did a full system restore, deleting everything off the hard drive, and reinstalling windows XP (apparently).
I got it back today, and it seemed to be working fine, until I tried to type in IE. There was a delay, so I downloaded firefox, and tried it. It still had the delay. I opened up notepad, and there it was again. Later, programs began getting non-responsive, too, just like the above user mentioned. It's really pissing me off, I paid $100+ to get this damn computer fixed, and its still messing up.

System info:
-Dell Inspiron 1501 WinXP
-had the comp for a year w/ no issues
-3 weeks ago had a trojan, got the guy to fix it couple days ago
-got the comp back today, experiencing probs still.
I'd give more info, but I'm not on that computer now, as it's screwing up.

Collapse -
What did the repair person use to reload this OS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 9:37 AM PST
In reply to: What CD?

For XP Dell supplies 2 CDs.

However some shops install a pirate XP and the troubles begin. Did you supply the CDs or not?

Collapse -
He used:
by altctrller / February 26, 2008 10:13 AM PST

For the restore, he used the CD's that came with the computer. Whether he actually used those or not, I have no clue. He seemed like a nice guy. However, I am frustrated that he can't seem to do what you ask. I asked him to keep the folders on the laptops desktop, but he didn't. He even wrote down that he was supposed to do that. I was not happy with his service before, either.

ALSO, the computer seems to be using more of the CPU and memory now that I got it back. It almost seems sluggish. No idea if this is really true, I just glanced at the thing on the Task Manager.

Normally I wouldn't freak out about this, but I have a school project that I have to do using that computer soon. It has to be fixed in order for me to use it, because Sony Vegas is likely to (and has in the past) cause my computer to freeze up. (by "past" I mean since I got the trojan horse. Prior to that it worked fine.)

I know the basics about computers, but not much other than that, BTW. Oh, and thanks for the quick response!

Collapse -
This is exactly what I see after the use of the first OS CD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: He used:
Collapse -
Resource CD?
by altctrller / February 26, 2008 9:16 PM PST

The only other CD I know of is the Drivers And Utilities CD. There MIGHT be another, but I didn't see it. Well, there is one other of the blue-colored CDs. It says "Application" on the top, then a little further down it says "for reinstalling cyberlink powerDVD 5.7 software" I seriously doubt that this is the CD...

thatnks for the help so far!

Collapse -
Problem still persists
by davidmccrea / February 27, 2008 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: Resource CD?

I have all the appropriate CDs and drivers installed but yet the problem of delayed typing persists!

Collapse -
Email me your hijackthis log for a looksee.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 1:38 AM PST

There are other issues such as the laptop didn't get it's yearly cleaning so comment about that please and try an online scan at

Please comment why you think a new drive is needed. Did the laptop suffer a drop or fail a diagnostic?

Collapse -
No viruses, spyware etc
by davidmccrea / February 28, 2008 3:27 AM PST

Thank you for your help so far.

There are no spyware or viruses on the computer, it did not experience any fall that I am aware of. All I can say is that the typing is delayed in XP for some unknown reason after I formatted my hard disk and reinstalled XP. This has never happened before and I'm pretty baffled to be honest!

Collapse -
Just checked email. No HIJACKTHIS log.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2008 3:37 AM PST

Post here so I can look.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.