Windows Vista

General discussion

Defragmenter won't start

by OzBo / May 13, 2008 1:05 PM PDT

Hello,
The Windows Vista defragmenter suddenly doesn't start any more. I know you cannot follow what it is doing etc., but it really doesn't start at all any more. What can be wrong? I should probably use another tool anyway, but I would just like to know what happened so suddenly???
Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Defragmenter won't start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Defragmenter won't start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Variety Of Reasons Why...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 13, 2008 2:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks, but...
by OzBo / May 13, 2008 2:55 PM PDT

I actually have more than 110 GB of free space and ran chkdsk the other day. I might try the third option, but out of stubbornness I wanted it to start normally. I have found this on the net, but it is for XP:
http://www.andreasroom.com/blog/archive/2004/01/18/defrag.aspx

Anyway, I don't have the inf file they mention at all!!! Or maybe it has another name in Vista? There is nothing with even a similar name in the inf folder!!!
Do you know what the inf file for defrag is called in Vista?
Thanks.

Bo

Collapse -
I found out what it was!
by OzBo / May 13, 2008 3:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, but...

The Task Scheduler was disabled.
You have to start it in order to run defrag...

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back With the Fix
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 14, 2008 12:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
vista defrag
by tw111 / May 23, 2008 12:45 AM PDT

I have received my last Windows error message......
my new MacBook is the best Mother's Day gift ever!
Just wish I hadn't fought it for so long.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.