PC Applications forum

General discussion

Defragmentation: Perfect Disk or Auslogics?

by susanherna / June 7, 2009 12:35 AM PDT

I have Auslogics Boost Speed. I downloaded the trial version of PerfectDisk. After I run PerfectDisk, if I check BoostSpeed it tells me my disk needs defragmentaion. My computer seems to be faster after using Perfect Disk. Is there a defragmentaion program that is better than these two?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Defragmentation: Perfect Disk or Auslogics?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Defragmentation: Perfect Disk or Auslogics?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is a matter of opinion...
by John.Wilkinson / June 7, 2009 4:04 AM PDT

I prefer Diskeeper, with a much older version being the basis of Windows' defragmenter. Diskeeper's marketing dept claims it is better than PerfectDisk. Of course, PerfeckDisk's marketing dept claims it is better than Diskeeper. There are no conclusive results from independent, unbiased third parties so it is hard to tell which is correct. Regardless, most would agree there isn't a significant difference, so either one would be sufficient. Just do not defragment excessively, as that can wear out a hard drive.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Same here.
by SerengetiValley / June 9, 2009 2:40 AM PDT

I prefer Diskeeper too. I am using DK 2009 pro on XP Pro SP3 machines currently, and it works flawlessly.

Collapse -
Best Defrag Progam?
by edbrady / June 26, 2009 12:00 PM PDT

It's a question that has millions of answers--and all of them end up leaving you confused.

I find that using something that both defrags and optimizes helps some. There are both free and paid software to do this.

Auslogics had one, but their new version does not optimize unless you pay for it.

So, I use Auslaogics for defrag only. And, I have a really old version of System Suite to optimize. Using them together seems to help my computer.

Oh. XP with SP3.

Collapse -
Neither
by rbsjrx / June 26, 2009 12:08 PM PDT

Auslogics is OK, but that's about it. For my and my wife's computers, I have a 3-machine license for Diskeeper which is significantly better than any of the free defragmenters if you need it. That last phrase, "if you need it", is crucial. Most casual Windows users can get along quite nicely without something as powerful as Diskeeper.

In the realm of free defrgmenters, I recommend IObit Smart Defrag. It's faster and more effective than Auslogics and Glary (I never tried PerfectDisk).

As has been previously mentioned in the discussion on registry cleaners, take their "reports" of what's wrong and well they can, or have, cleaned it up with a grain of salt - it's all marketing. The only thing that's significant is whether you notice any speed improvement after using it.

Collapse -
Perfect Disk
by mikebliv / June 26, 2009 6:36 PM PDT

I have used Perfect Disk before after finding the explanations on their defragmentation logic convincing (free space optimization). This was a few years ago and the equivalent DisKeeper did not have a similar feature at the time (They to have it now). JKDefrag was also a very good free alternative. Here's a good defrag comparison site (http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/2007/06/great-defrag-shootout-all.html). Bear in mind that Windows Vista and 7 have a defragger built-in, with 7 maybe being a bit more intelligent too (e.g. there is diminishing returns as a fragment gets larger, the break even point being at 64Mb according to http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/01/25/disk-defragmentation-background-and-engineering-the-windows-7-improvements.aspx). I don't trust XP's defragger but I won't bother for Win7.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.