Windows 7

General discussion

Defragging Windows 7 64 bit

by foxygrandma / December 10, 2010 7:02 AM PST

My hard drive is 451 GB. Two days ago I tried defragging with Smart Defrag but it ended up taking so long. It had been running for six hours and was at just 31%. I uninstalled that and installed defraggler. I started that defrag at 2 AM December 10. I checked it at 8 AM and it was still running and was at 32%. I left for the day and returned at 4 PM and it was still running and it was still at 32%. I stopped it. What would cause it to run for so long and not finish? Thanks much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Defragging Windows 7 64 bit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Defragging Windows 7 64 bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The simple answer is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2010 7:14 AM PST

The drive is big and it will take a long time.

Collapse -
The simple answer is
by foxygrandma / December 10, 2010 9:24 AM PST
In reply to: The simple answer is

Thanks, Proffitt. I had this large a hard drive on Vista and it would take no longer than 1-1/2 hours. So I just do not understand and thought something could be wrong. I always used Smart Defrag. Thanks again.

Collapse -
All it takes is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2010 10:51 AM PST
In reply to: The simple answer is

Some largish file and it will look like its stuck. I didn't find defrag on 7 to be speedy but it eventually gets done.

This is bad news for folk that like to defrag.
Bob

Collapse -
Defragging Windows 7
by foxygrandma / December 11, 2010 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: All it takes is

Thanks, Bob. What do you use for defragging? I defrag maybe every two weeks depending on how much I have downloaded and installed. But if it is going to take that long - 14 hours and still has not finished, maybe I will just do it once a month. One should not use the Web when defragging, right?

Collapse -
I use the defaults that 7 setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2010 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Defragging Windows 7

I left it on automatic. All I can say is that this is going to pain those that want to defrag the machines. You can look at alternatives but be sure to backup and test what you choose.
Bob

Collapse -
Defaults that 7 setup
by foxygrandma / December 11, 2010 2:53 PM PST

OK, thank you, Bob.

Collapse -
Auslogics
by PKsteven / December 11, 2010 3:48 AM PST
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/

It's what I use for a few reasons.

1. Never had an issue with it.

2. Free

3. Faster than Windows Defrag or some others

You have an option to defrag or defrag and optimize. The latter of the two takes a bit longer but nowhere near what you are timing right now. I have a 1 Tb drive and do a lot of video, graphics, install, uninstall, etc... so yeah, I get a lot of fragmenting and usually only use it when I get some slow downs or "noticeably" longer load times.

Even at that, it takes a while to get to that point before I defrag. Takes about an hour if badly fragmented.

It says defrag and optimize (once a week) although I find a month would be better. It's not necessary to defrag all the time and as stated, only if you experience a lot of slow downs or app time loading.
Collapse -
Defrag
by bob b / December 11, 2010 6:21 AM PST

W7 comes with a defrag tool.

The tool has an analyze button.

If you push the button what % does it show?

I rarely see that number get above 5% and that's only because I went nutty with install/uninstall.

Even when it's above 5% defrag runs in 10+ minutes.

Have you tried the w7 tool?

Have you tried to run defrag in safe mode?

Just maybe this is an issue with files being changed and defrag having to restart over and over.

Collapse -
defrag
by foxygrandma / December 11, 2010 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: Defrag

No, have not tried the W7 tool yet. Forgot to do it in Safe Mode early this morning. Will try it again tonight in Safe Mode and see how it does. Thank you.

Collapse -
Auslogics
by foxygrandma / December 11, 2010 3:02 PM PST

Thank you comicfan. I have used other Auslogics things but not the defrag. Will try it. Maybe it has a Turn Off After Defragging button like Smart Defrag does. In Smart Defrag I usually chose the Defrag and Optimize button. But not going to try Smart Defrag again because of the long time it was taking.

Collapse -
Yep
by PKsteven / December 11, 2010 3:16 PM PST
In reply to: Auslogics

You can choose to shut down the PC when it's done. I try not to get too opinionated on software, I've learned over the years everyone has an opinion on what they like, but I don't like Smart Defrag and have removed it from quite a few computers for others for different complaints.

When you defragment, you are not choosing recovery drives are you? Just C:\ is what I suggest or at least, one partition at a time. Also, if you have sleep, hibernate, or screensavers enabled, this will stop a defragmenter from doing it's job in a lot of cases.

Just a few things to think about.

I hope you have better luck with Auslogics.

Paul

Collapse -
Auslogics
by foxygrandma / December 11, 2010 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: Yep

Thank you,Paul. Smart Defrag seemed to work on Vista but not on my Windows 7. Last night, or at 2 AM this morning, I did try the Auslogics, and it was still running at 9 AM. But I did have a screen saver running and I forgot to do it in Safe Mode. I think staying up too late is dulling my brain.:) So tonight I will try it again, this time with no screen saver and in Safe Mode. I am learning, thanks to you all. I always just select the C:\ Drive but sometimes wonder if I should do the Recovery or my other drives. But with the other drives, I guess a CD or DVD would have to be in the drive, except for the Recovery?

Also, when I stop Defrag like I have a few times, am I harming anything?

Collapse -
GOOD CLUE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2010 10:33 PM PST

I ran across a few screen savers that would write something to the HDD and trigger the defragger to re-start and move what was written around along with some other things.

If there is a way to stop, the defragger should show a stop or cancel or exit button to press.

But that is a GOOD CLUE you dropped there.
Bob

Collapse -
Good Clue
by foxygrandma / December 13, 2010 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: GOOD CLUE.

When I reply, am I supposed to use the same You Are Posting a Reply to: subject? Sometimes I have and sometimes I have not. Anyway, around 1 AM I ran the Auslogic defrag in Safe Mode, and it only took five minutes! Now, I am confused - that one defrag can take six hours and not finish and another one can take 14 hours and not finish. And this one took five minutes. So I guess it was running it in Safe Mode that did the trick and maybe turning off the screen saver. Guess I should just be happy that it worked. Happy

Collapse -
But I did have a screen saver running
by PKsteven / December 12, 2010 5:05 AM PST

Yep, many people do and why I thought I'd throw that out to you. I have seen it not only stop defragmenters but AV or malware scans, video rendering, and a few other things as well.

Aside from screensavers being "nice to look at" the old screen burn hasn't been an issue for a long time.

Collapse -
It isn't pretty and it isn't really designed ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 12, 2010 5:45 AM PST

for whole drives nor a perfect defrag but if you really must defrag this little command line utility does the job quickly and efficiently.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897428

Just unzip it to any directory in your Path (I usually simply add it to the Windows folder) and it is ready to do its work.

To use it to analyse the C: drive you open a command prompt and use the command contig -s c:\*.*

Naturally, being a command line utility you can also create batch files for running it on various drives and a batch file can also be run as a scheduled task and if desired you can even make use of shutdown.exe in the batch file to shut down when the task completes.

Collapse -
Defrag
by foxygrandma / December 11, 2010 3:05 PM PST

Thank you,Bob. No, have not tried it as read somewhere it took so long. I forgot about trying in Safe Mode. Thanks for the reminder - something else I can try.

Collapse -
my preference
by bigpygme / December 13, 2010 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: Defrag

i too like and use Auslogics Defrag, and i've tried all the free ones that have been mentioned and more. i see no need to pay for defrag.

Michael

Collapse -
FYI
by Greenhaze80 / December 13, 2010 12:01 AM PST

Smart defrag is made by the same folks who blatantly stole IP from Malwarebytes for their 'security' products. Just thought I'd let you know.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10389650-245.html
To each his/her own, but I'd be very wary of using any application that has full access to all your data on the HDD. Maybe I am just paranoid lol.

As for the Windows defrag, yeah it's slow and not very clear about what it's doing. For faster/efficient defragging third party utilities are better, but usually it's the commercial defragmenters (not free) that have advantages over the freeware utilities in performance. The latter lack some important features like defrag of pagefile/MFT and protection of restore points during defrag.

Collapse -
I would use PerfectDisk
by Dragonette1218 / December 13, 2010 1:19 AM PST

I use PerfectDisk for defragging in Windows 7; it is certified by Microsoft and works well for me, works good on large drives, etc?

I find it to be a great price and the best defragger out there in my opinion. You could argue that there are plenty of free defraggers available, but there really is no comparison, you get what you pay for, and you really can't beat PerfectDisk for quality, reliabilty and just the customer service/tech support the company offers in general.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Screen saver running
by foxygrandma / December 13, 2010 7:06 AM PST

Thank you, PK. I guess you can see my reply abour my running it in Safe Mode and it worked. Yes, I know screen savers not necessary any more but some of them are so happy sounding, like the Christmas one I have now.

Collapse -
By all means
by PKsteven / December 17, 2010 1:00 PM PST
In reply to: Screen saver running

run them. Just not when defragmenting or virus\malware or other scanning is going on.

Just glad your issue is solved and that you can watch your Christmas screensaver. Take care, happy holidays Happy

Collapse -
Screen saver running
by foxygrandma / December 18, 2010 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: By all means

Thanks PK and Merry Christmas.

Collapse -
isn't pretty and it isn't really designed ...
by foxygrandma / December 13, 2010 7:09 AM PST

Thank you for the information, Edward, I sure appreciate it.

Collapse -
Auslogics Defrag
by foxygrandma / December 13, 2010 7:11 AM PST

Thank you, Michael. Guess you saw where it woked for me okay in Safe Mode.

Collapse -
Defrag
by foxygrandma / December 13, 2010 7:14 AM PST

Thank you, Greenhaze. I just went to the link and read it.

Collapse -
Defrag
by foxygrandma / December 13, 2010 7:16 AM PST

Thank you, Dragonette. I appreciate the input.

Collapse -
Defragging Windows 7 or Vista
by Grey Swede / December 17, 2010 7:34 AM PST

When you want to defrag, ALWAYS boot into Safe Mode. Then all of the extraneous I/Os that Windows likes to run, don't run. So, while in Safe Mode, then run the defragger of your choice. It won't have to buck all of the Windows 7 muck that takes so much CPU time that the defragger gets what's left over.
Try it. I have always done this with XP and Vista. It runs much quicker!

Collapse -
Defragging Windows 7
by foxygrandma / December 17, 2010 12:35 PM PST

Okay, Grey, will always do it in Safe Mode. Many Thanks. Merry Chrismas to all of you great people out there!

Collapse -
Norton Utilities
by mthtop1 / December 17, 2010 9:49 PM PST

I have been using Norton's since the DOS days and find it to be the best at degfraging.Norton's Utilities 2010 defrags in the back ground while you are on the computer.I like this because I don't have to worry about it.I have it set to defrag once a week and it only takes about an hour.If you only defrag say once a month or less it will take longer that's why mine is set to once a week.Hopes this helps you.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.