Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Defrag freezes

by compbugs / January 19, 2005 5:38 AM PST

Defrag runs for 2-3 minutes maybe and the computer freezes or defrag stalls. I have checked for viruses. I have run defrag in safe mode. Suggestions for an amatuer?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Defrag freezes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Defrag freezes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
do a disk clean
by schlicktaco / January 19, 2005 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: Defrag freezes

try disk clean first ... then defrag.. also please make sure every application is closed before... then defragger see how it goes

Collapse -
Especially
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 19, 2005 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: do a disk clean

close down any screen saver, and firewall, but disconnect from the internet before closing down the firewall.

Mark

Collapse -
More Ideas?
by compbugs / January 19, 2005 7:37 AM PST

In safe mode with disks cleaned and screen saver off and firewall off defrag now gets to "50% compacting files" and stalls.

Collapse -
Now remove the case cover...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2005 11:41 AM PST
In reply to: More Ideas?

It can reveal if there is a heat buildup issue.

If that doesn't make a difference, the DRIVE FITNESS TEST would be run. ONLY DO THIS IF IT OFFERS A NON-DESTRUCTIVE MODE!

Bob

Collapse -
DRIVE FITNESS TEST ?
by MobileTech / January 26, 2005 12:59 AM PST

What is a "Drive Fitness Test"?

Collapse -
Google about it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2005 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: DRIVE FITNESS TEST ?
Collapse -
Defragger
by murman / March 2, 2005 5:26 PM PST

Sorry to butt in, have you heard of Diskeeper? What is your opinion of it?

Collapse -
Maybe just a little patience
by Big_Owl55 / January 21, 2005 12:13 AM PST
In reply to: More Ideas?

I saw the same thing on my XP Pro over the holidays. After extensive deletions and conversion CD's to MP3 files I had really fragged my disk. I ran defrag and it just sat at 50% for almost an hour. Since nothing appeared to be wrong, other than the excessive time it was taking, I just let it run and it eventually went to 51% and stayed there for a fair amount of time. Then after one quarter of NFL it was finishing up. Due to the overnight defrags that were necessary on my ME machine I have become a very patient man. I realize tha you would expect more from XP, but this could be what you are seeing if you have not done a defrag in a while. Just start it up and see if it finishes in two or three hours, provided of course, you are also following the other suggestions, which were all good and seem to indicate that there is no real problem with the drive.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
Things to try:
by sp_100 / January 19, 2005 8:12 AM PST

Disconnect from the Internet.

Check Event Viewer (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer) for possible errors.

Disable all system utilities you may have (Norton System Utilities, etc.)

Clean disk:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowstempfiles.htm

Scan it for errors, and try again (in Safe Mode):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindowsharddrive.htm

It may also be a hardware problem ? In that case you?ll need to get a drive diagnostic utility from your disk/pc manufacturer/website.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
P.S.
by sp_100 / January 19, 2005 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: Things to try:
Collapse -
Do you have enough room?
by strickjh2005 / January 19, 2005 10:39 AM PST
In reply to: P.S.

How much HD space do you have? You need about 20% free to do a defrag.

Collapse -
Another idea...
by Papa Echo / January 19, 2005 12:03 PM PST

In additional to what has been suggested, try a chkdsk /r before defag, and if you have a Quick Launch bar, choose not to have it shown.

Collapse -
Possibly a hard drive problem
by Berndo / January 20, 2005 8:03 PM PST
In reply to: Another idea...

In addition to trying chkdsk or other utility you can also schedule scandisk to run on restarting windows to find any bad sectors, if you do have enough space and disk cleanup doesn't improve anything.

Collapse -
Defrag freezes
by k4cdm / January 20, 2005 6:40 PM PST

I find that being on cable modem causes the computer to be "hit" by packets of info, and it causes something called system write, thus making defrag start all over again. So I disconnect the cable modem whenever I do a defrag. See if that might help. I'm not sure if this is the same problem you're having or not.

Collapse -
DEFRAG FREEZES
by yik54 / January 21, 2005 4:13 PM PST

I notice while running my cleanup, scan disk, THEN defrag AFTER them; seems to help than just doing a defrag. I totally agree with k4cdm! I have DSL & also notice that there's some activity going on while trying to defrag. So, if you have the cable modem or DSL as well, SHUT THEM DOWN & just let it ride. Sometimes it may take hours to finish, as when I first ran mine. Now, I make a habit of running it once a week! Depending on your usage of your PC also depends on how much & often you should run these! I hope some of this helps!

Collapse -
defrag freezes
by flyguy / January 20, 2005 10:12 PM PST

if your defrag freezes try running chkdsk first. start then run then type in "chkdsk"

Collapse -
Defrag Freezes
by larryfil / January 21, 2005 1:38 AM PST

Have you tried running Ad-Aware or Spybot S & D before attempting the defrag? Spyware can cause the defrag process to freeze. Both applications are free and effective at rooting out spyware and removing it.

Collapse -
Defrag freezes
by WiBrid / January 21, 2005 2:44 AM PST

This will sound strange, but- have you ran any error checking software i.e.: scandisk, or norton disk doctor ? If not then run either of those that you have and then try Defrag again. Of course if Defrag works then you'll know it was soft/hard errors on your hard drive.

Collapse -
Defrag
by rub / January 21, 2005 3:01 AM PST

I tried to do a defrag with about 90% of the disk full. XP said it needed a lot more empty space. Knowing MS, they probably need 50% empty ( they're really not too sharp on storage techniques - they just tell you to keep putting more storage capacity in ). It's obvious that 50% empty is the easiest solution. I suggest you either delete all surplus files\folders or install big files\folders to another HD, the latter being the easy option ( just saw a 120 Gb Maxtor for $76 at Ecost ). I hope that transferring big folders\files is a defrag process, since you have an equal amount of free space to organize the file structure. Only an idiot would design it to be otherwise, but you know Microsoft.

Collapse -
Why DEFRAG?
by rub / January 21, 2005 3:19 AM PST

Having to put up with defrag seems to be a given, judging from the replies. Only a stupid software outfit would sit on its butt and ignore the obvious. Defrag could be run in the background, by a clever designer, by keeping track of the fragments and reassigning their locations during normal operation. It could respond to the load demands and suspend when file access was peaking and probably not even make the slowdown apparent. Like Google desktop search. Too bad Google wasn't doing a defrag package. Basically, all the problems stem from Microsoft's overwhelming paranoia about all the other , much more clever designers out there pushing them off the top of the hill, so only the immediate concerns, never the basic, get addressed.

Collapse -
Defrag Problems
by sbilokury / January 21, 2005 3:24 AM PST

Found the following tip at Microsoft--works great. Your temp files may have a corrupt file contained within. Not all Temp files are deleted by Disk Cleanup, so do the following:
Go to RUN
Type in %temp% (yes, use the percent signs)
Click OK
DELETE ALL
There may be 1 to 3 files that will not delete-that is OK-delete all you can.

Collapse -
worked in 98
by fagers / January 21, 2005 3:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Defrag freezes,I had the same problem.
by fer1065 / January 21, 2005 5:47 AM PST

After lengthy investigation I found it always froze up during the "compress old files" part.Then the search on the internet for info about it gave me the cure.Go to
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
And then down to line 48 on the right hand side.It says "Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes-Undo".You don't want the undo part,this is a visual basic script that you must run(they tell you how,then restart.Try it,it worked for me.Just "click" on the part that says"Disk Cleanup-" to download. It saved my sanity last year!
Good luck

Collapse -
get another
by Grady Powell / January 21, 2005 5:56 AM PST

Window's Defrag has never been much good. Go to executivesoftware.com. and checkout Diskeeper. Diskeeper has got Window's defrag beat hands down. It does a much faster and very thorough job on Defragmenting. You can set it to work while your screensaver is on, on bootup, or any time you want. I've got Diskeeper 9 now, and it really does the job. Windows doesn't get in the way because it's a program by itself. It costs around $30-$40, but it's well worth it. You will never have that problem again.

Collapse -
Defrag Freezing
by zzero / January 21, 2005 7:02 AM PST

The same thing happened to me too. Try running the Win-XP utility scandisk. Just right click the problem hard drive in My Computer and go to tools and select check this drive. I did it and it found errors and it fixed them and I was good to go to defrag. I run scandisk once a week now. Hope this helps, because it helped me.

Collapse -
Turn off
by CKinVA / January 21, 2005 8:50 AM PST

Defrag needs the 100% current disk file directory (names and hardware addresses) at all times, so when defrag is started it 'analyzes' the disk drive fetching the current directory.
But a (supid little, often overlooked) Microsoft utility may be running in the background and killing you effectively by constantly updating the directory.
Look for "Find Fast" in your system settings via: Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Find Fast (I believe I remember the name right). I know it exists in older operating systems (ie: Windows 98), but I'm not sure about Win-XP/2000.
If you see it, check/open it and disable it ... the reason:
"Find Fast" may be indexing your disk files for quick access ... this is good (only!) if you do a lot of disk 'searches' for files because you cannot remember where you saved them.
What defrag does is: moving files that were split into a bunch of peices to a location on your disk drive that will hold the whole file as one peice (ideally).
As files are moved (& defragged) the "Find Fast" indexing process keeps updating its own directory (another disk file containing the names/hardware address of each file in your operating systems master disk directory) to keep it current ... thus,

The O/S master disk directory is changed to have the revised "Find Fast database" location corrected (that file will have changed in size and physical hardware location) ... but,

Defrag needs the 100% current disk file directory (names and hardware addresses) at all times ... so,

Defrag restarts itself (refetching the updated O/S master directory), cleans up one file ... thus,

The disk directory changes (again) ... so,

"Find Fast" re-indexes, changing its directory again ... so,

Defrag re-starts again ... etc, etc, etc ...

Like a loop forever!!!

The process repeats at least once for each file that has to be defragged, I believe. You'll get a warning after every 10 restarts of defrag, but most people just tell defrag to quit showing the warning and then they wait, and wait, and ...
Basically if any file is updated while defrag is running, the defrag process restarts. This is also why you want to disconnect from the internet (your firewall/virus/etc software may be posting records to their logs, etc) and stop all other programs from running if you can before starting defrag.
Note: Cleaning your recycle bin, deleting undesired cookies/spyware/adware, etc. will improve performance by freeing up work space, but no vendors defrag is very quick anyway so be prepared to wait ...
I:
1) disconnect from the internet,
2) clean out trash (disk clean, spyware, adware, cookies, etc),
3) shut down everything (firewall/virus scanners, etc),
4) and only then start defrag, and finally,
5) leave it running, go to bed and reboot in the morning Happy

Collapse -
Reply title should be ... Turn off FIND FAST
by CKinVA / January 21, 2005 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: Turn off

Whoops ... title on my reply got cut off.

Collapse -
Defragging XP
by Leann Rowe / January 21, 2005 9:08 AM PST

Sounds like you may need to run a Scan Disk to have it check for programs that may have errors. There's just one problem. Maybe someone in the CNET community knows how to access Scan Disk on XP. In '98 that was part of System Tools. However XP does not have this feature. I sometimes had that problem in Windows '98 and if I ran advanced Scan Disk it would fix any problems and/or allow me to delete fragmented files, then Scan Disk would run normally. Think I'll ask about Scan Disk in XP. Good Luck.

Sincerely,
Leann Rowe

Collapse -
Defrag freezes
by rick horn--2008 / January 21, 2005 9:53 AM PST

If you have any screen saver or desktop photos that cycle (e.g., Webshots ), turn them all off as they interfer with the process. You will reach a certain point, be it 50% or another figure, and a new photo will cycle through and push your defrag back. The same thing happened to me, and this solved the problem. When done, turn back on any such program you want.
Good luck

Collapse -
Defrag freeze
by zzz1 / January 21, 2005 10:13 AM PST

Have had the same problem in the shop where I work. Three things can cause it, an extreem defragmented drive, A bad cluster on the hard drive, or a software problem. Go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f, and restart the computer when told. Windows will run the type of scandisk, or chkdsk (old dos type) to fix the files on the drive. It may take awhile.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.