Phones

Alert

Defective gorilla glas on Droid Razr/Maxx?

by philrobj / May 4, 2012 12:31 PM PDT

Has anyone had issues with gorilla glass breaking without any kind of abuse or rough handlling? Many instances of Razor glass breaking without dropping the phone or with very short drops onto carpet. Verizon won't take ownership nor will Motorola. they both say they have never heard of the issue even though everyone has contacted them repeatedly. Verizon advertises gorilla glass and Kevlar, misleading consumers into thinking their new $300 device is tough yet it does not even hold up to normal everyday use. Granted some of the claims are probably dubious but there does seem to be an overabundance of claims all very similar. I just did a Google search since my screen cracked while sitting on the kitchen counter.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Defective gorilla glas on Droid Razr/Maxx?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Defective gorilla glas on Droid Razr/Maxx?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2012 1:30 PM PDT

But there are only a few around the office. The sad thing here is that you can find similar claims on laptop and HDTV screens.

Maybe we do need 100 pound nearly bullet proof CRT displays to come back?
Bob

Collapse -
This is news to me.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 5, 2012 6:40 AM PDT

I understand the frustration, but if the manufacturer won't acknowledge the issue, the cellular carrier can't eat the replacement/repair costs on their own. Motorola would be the one to blame, not Verizon. Verizon markets the product for use on their network but they don't make the phone.

Collapse -
Verizon has responsibility as well
by philrobj / May 5, 2012 1:12 PM PDT

They market and sell the phone. Just like an automobile, a dealership has to go to bat for the customer when dealing withe the manufacturer. Not asking for Verizon to eat any costs but to simply look into the issue sincerely, back the products they sell and ask Motorola to do the right thing instead of washing their hands of the matter. Verizon can flex their muscle, without Verizon, Motorola sells virtually no phones. That's the problem these days, everyone points fingers at everyone else and no one takes responsibility.

Collapse -
Not exactly......
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 6, 2012 9:53 AM PDT

I visited the Verizon chat room and there was only 60 posts of damaged phones, barely a fraction of 1% of total devices sold. Verizon merely acts as an intermediary for the manufacturer for warranty service. Your anger needs to be focused on Motorola in this case.

Collapse -
You might do better...
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 6, 2012 10:02 AM PDT

.....complaining to a consumer internet site or the BBB. Complaining here won't accomplish anything. As a recent purchaser of the standard Moto Razr I am just as concerned about my phone.

Collapse -
Yes, I have and many others have too
by draythomp / May 17, 2012 1:22 PM PDT

I lost mine taking a picture. Yes, taking a picture; a single line straight across the screen. Notice I didn't say anything about dropping it. Had to have insurance replace it and now I have the phone in an otterbox.

The problem is that any physical damage voids the warranty. If they were to put a switch on the phone that fell apart when you pressed it, that would be physical damage and void the warranty. No matter that the switch was bad, it would still be called physical damage. So, they put a display, screen combination that breaks for no reason and they call it physical damage. These phones are not ready for prime time and Motorola, Corning, and Verizon need to step up and look into it seriously.

However, I think this site can be of help in this. How do I contact one of the reporters that reviews these devices. I'm sure they can verify the complaints out there. It would make a really good story. A few of the people have lost their phone to a phone call where the vibrator shattered the screen. That's more dramatic than my taking a picture and obviously not something we want to go unnoticed.

Collapse -
Channel 9 news.
by rweathers07 / August 9, 2012 11:39 AM PDT

Channel 9 news has a reporter that might be intetested. I will contact her tomorrow and let her know. She has a lot of stories right now so it might be a while until she could get to it.

Collapse -
Channel 9 news ??
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 9, 2012 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Channel 9 news.

What market/city is that particular station from ??

Collapse -
This just happened to me, my phone is less than 90 days old.
by LCStark / July 23, 2012 7:00 AM PDT

I'm not getting any help from Verizon even though the store staff told customer service that there was no external damage and my phone has been getting hot since my last update. It cracked internaly and there is no outside damage, it happened when I was asleep and not using my phone. What was the outcome of your situation?

Collapse -
You need to....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 23, 2012 7:50 AM PDT

...put pressure on Motorola since they are the manufacturer. Verizon doesn't make the phone and doesn't recognize it as a known issue at this time.

Collapse -
Don't forget.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 23, 2012 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: You need to....

....that until the manufacturer admits there is a product defect, Verizon will not replace the phone.

Collapse -
YES
by suade907 / July 31, 2012 2:12 AM PDT

My dad's just broke in his pocket. He said it had no impact whatsoever.

Collapse -
Contact Motorola directly
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 31, 2012 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: YES

Verizon will not assist with warranty service until Motorola acknowledges there is a known defect. I know it sucks but that is your best option.

Collapse -
Do agree with you
by shoopt / July 31, 2012 7:00 PM PDT

Due to the competition of capturing the market of smart phone devices, android phone manufacturers are not concerned a lot about the quality of the devices. There are always some or other issues coming into existence.

Collapse -
RE: I absolutley know this is the case..
by rweathers07 / August 8, 2012 9:48 AM PDT

Hi. I have a new Droid RAzr and my phone was dropped from a space of maybe 2 feet if that. My screen shattered on the left hand side and cracked in 3 places all the way up the phone...I can't get any help from Verizon and even though I have contacted Motorola, I doubt I will get any satisfaction from them either. EVERYONE is complaining of the same issue but we are getting no where. Let me know what you finally did please. I am looking into replacing my screen myself.

Collapse -
Wrong.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 8, 2012 10:33 AM PDT
Everyone is not complaining of the same issue. You are exaggerating. This seems to be a small percentage of users at this time. It is possible there was a bad batch of devices manufactured during a short period. You will not get any resolution from Verizon until Motorola admits a known defect.
Collapse -
Wrong?
by philrobj / August 8, 2012 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Wrong.....

How can you say that it is only a small precentage of users at this time? Only a small percetage of users that have found this forum and have posted here maybe, but you have NO idea if it is a small percentage or not. I agree NOT EVERYONE is complaining of the same issue but until you can actually throw real numbers at me that aren't simply based on the number of posts on this forum, you may want to hold your posts.

I do agree that Motorola has to admit there is a problem but Verizon can surely pass along all of the complaints it has been receiving and not simply point at Motorola as if they didn't sell the product. If I buy something at Target and it breaks, they don't point the finger at the chinese manufacturer and say you have to contact them directly. Target takes ownership and takes care of its customer, regardless of the chances that they will recoup the cost of the item. They rely on the their purchasing power to convince the manufacturer to do the right thing.

That's all we are asking.

Collapse -
I understand where you are coming from....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 8, 2012 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Wrong?

....but I have not seen any significant numbers of users reporting the same issue. If you can show a consistent pattern of defects you might have a case. If it were a consistent issue, there would be numerous reports on internet sites, news stories on TV, and magazine articles about the problem. I am not referring to a few internet blogs who might have sporadic reports.

I own a Droid Razr and I am concerned that there might be an issue that could affect my phone, but I just don't see it at this time. When it comes to equipment valued at several hundred dollars apiece, you can't assume that any cellular carrier will eat the replacement costs without approval from the manufacturer.

Bottom line is complain to Motorola and to consumer protection agencies until it becomes a recognized issue. I am not suggesting that there is no issue, just not that as common as you think it might be.

Collapse -
Not one failure here either.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2012 2:52 AM PDT

I'll find it online but in real life not one failure. Sorry to read about your loss but for now you know what to do and in the future be even more careful.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you...
by rweathers07 / August 9, 2012 7:17 AM PDT

I actually was able to get through to the retention dept. of Verizon and while I didn't have insurance due to Verizon telling me that I had everything I needed with regards to warranties, etc. I did manage to get a replacement phone BUT and this is the kicker...they were able to allow me to make an "in house" claim. I had to pay 99.00 but even that is cheaper than the 199.00 that the first 2 people stated to me. They will work to make you happy if you call Retentions and let them know you are willing to walk even with a canceled contract. I told them and I meant it that I would walk and they could attempt to get it back from me through collections.

Thank you for stating that it is a problem. I love how you used Target as an example. Walmart is in the same boat.

Collapse -
RE: Umm..have you actually read any of these posts???
by rweathers07 / August 9, 2012 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong.....

Have you read anything that is posted here? Obviously not or you would not have stated I was exaggerating. Have you searched the Net for other forums? How about this...try looking on VERIZON'S site then you may be qualified to get back with me.

Collapse -
Perhaps you didn't read the posts....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 9, 2012 7:51 AM PDT

I was the third post in this thread and despite 1 previous mention of the Verizon forum (that I already commented on) nobody has posted any other sites of a massive product defect and related customer backlash. Take some of your own advice and direct your anger where I have suggested multiple times in this very thread.

You are exaggerating on the amount of customers having the same problem with their Droid Razr phones. You are the one who stated "EVERYONE is complaining of the same issue but we are getting no where."

Collapse -
Please read this....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 9, 2012 11:25 PM PDT
Gorilla Glass features exceptional damage resistance to the scratches, drops, and bumps of everyday use. It's cool to the touch, and cleans easily - making it the perfect solution for sleek, seamless designs. And it's sensitive enough to enable today's most sophisticated touch applications.

This directly from the Corning (manufacturer of Gorilla Glass) internet site. Please take note that nowhere does it state that Gorilla Glass is impervious to damage, they say "more resistant" instead. No phone is "bullet proof" and nobody should assume it is. Ever here of bullet proof glass ?? Here is a hint, it isn't bullet proof the manufacturers use the term "bullet resistant" instead.
Collapse -
Please read this one also
by philrobj / August 10, 2012 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Please read this....
Built to Take a Beating
Defend against dents and dings with a KEVLAR® fiber backplate. Suppress an onslaught of scratches and scrapes, reinforced by Corning® Gorilla® Glass. Take whatever the world throws at you and throw it right back. Almost nothing brings this mobile juggernaut down.

This is driectly from the Verizon website, so maybe you'll see that Verizon has a little more culpability now. "Take whatever the world throws at you" except maybe a phone call or a photo, or some idle time on the counter. "Almost nothing brings this mobile juggernaut down" except internal heat generated by the battery that causes it to expand and crack the glass from the inside.

Obviously no one expects the glass to be "bulletproof." Bulletproof glass does not exist nor would it ever be able to be used in a phone that you would want to carry around. Most people's complaints here have to do with NO damage to the phone and finding cracks in the glass. I never would have made the initial post if there was something I had done to the phone to cause the crack. You must work for Verizon, Motorola or Corning.
I don't care if there is only one instance of this happening. If it happened once, Motorola or Verizon should make it right irregardless (or you could argue moreso, because of) the price of a single unit.
Collapse -
Not really
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 10, 2012 7:33 AM PDT

Verizon's statement might be considered "puffery" at best but not misleading. I have never worked for Verizon, Motorola or Corning so I have no stake. I am an owner of a Droid Razr and that is my only connection.

Collapse -
I like that word.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2012 8:04 AM PDT

"Puffery."

Collapse -
Fracture of gorilla glass
by dmrrmd / August 15, 2012 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: I like that word.

I received a replacement Razr and while I was placing it in my docking station, for no apparent reason, it just cracked from corner to corner on a diagonal. This is my third Razr which cracked for no apparent reason. It is still within the 14 day window on the replacement warranty, so, hopefully, I will get ANOTHER one, but I have about had it with the gorilla glass.

Collapse -
Sounds like there may be hope
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 15, 2012 1:55 AM PDT

...for folks with cracked Gorilla Glass who are still under warranty. Sorry to hear that you have had 3 devices with cracked displays though.

Collapse -
birdmantd - Verizon Plant
by yogi1961 / December 27, 2012 10:33 PM PST

Birdman, I purchased the product from Verizion. Verizon had the comercial with all the claims of Gorilla glass and Kevlar Backs.... I never saw one claim from or by Motorola. When I contacted Verizon the person from Verizon asked me to contact Motorola as they have received a ton of calls and are directing their customers to call to Motorola direct. Verizon Passing the buck so to say.

I will have been a Verizon customer for more than 12 years this coming November and I will be sending my money elsewhere. I can get treated like **** from any carrier. VERIZON SUCKS!

Collapse -
Calm down....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 12:56 AM PST

I have no stake in Verizon and I do not work for them. I am a moderator and it is my job to keep these forums managed. Don't believe everything you see on the internet and/or TV in an advertisement. If you plan to leave Verizon, I don't care and won't lose any sleep over it.

I do use a Droid Razr and Verizon cellular service and have not had any problems with my phone cracking or breaking. You do have unrealistic expectations of Verizon.

A solution has been offered and there is no need to discuss this further. This thread has served it's purpose and is now closed !!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.