Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Dedicated Graphics or Integrated?

by techmachines / December 27, 2008 1:59 PM PST

I have a couple of questions regarding when dedicated graphics are needed and when integrated is enough? I am shopping for a laptop and a desktop for "home users". They will likely only surf the net/email and probably like to watch an occasional dvd movie or one of those online rental movies and also there's the msn news videos and the like. No gaming. Also maybe storing photos and streaming music. I was thinking that I would always need a dedicated card but have read that integrated is enough for the preceding needs. Please let me know which and by the way, if you think I need a dedicated card, please include the size memory for the card as well. Not the main system ram but the dedicated card ram. Also, they will have Vista Home Premium, so does that automatically mean get the minimum system requirements for running that OS and that would therefore take care of any other home use graphics needs?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dedicated Graphics or Integrated?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dedicated Graphics or Integrated?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The breaking point appears to be GAMING.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2008 10:34 PM PST

Games are where the dedicated graphics pay off. There is not much payoff for video or photo editing so that's not it.

And for now, for today, both solutions on today's hardware and PC/Apply machines will play DVD, video with the right software. Why I must write that is that XP for example does not come with DVD player software. We can fix that for free with VLC PLAYER.

Collapse -
Dedicated Graphics vs Integrated continued...
by techmachines / December 28, 2008 12:39 PM PST

Thanks for that info! I need all the help I can get on making a "value" decision.

Thanks again,

Collapse -
I see you have not done very much photo editing! Intergated
by JC1st / March 27, 2012 3:39 AM PDT

Integrated is a poor choice for photography buffs ! Also a HA should be 7200 not 5400 and lots of ram , You might say that if you are a serious photographer that a gaming PC or Lap top with Big hard drive and big screen is very close to a gamers choice!!

Collapse -
Sadly I've done too much.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2012 3:42 AM PDT

But am not as buff as you!

Collapse -
dedicated verses intergrated
by JC1st / March 27, 2012 9:14 AM PDT

hi ! I was not attacting you just made a statement as to which a photographer would prefer ! Most of the info I have read on photographer's forums agree that high HD deicated graphics lots of ram as photoshop alone chews up ram , and 17 inch screen and up, thats pritty much what you will find in a gaming PC , No? I am not as much of a buff if it means tech smart, But it is my passion ! John Take care!

Collapse -
Re: dedicated versus integrated
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 26, 2012 7:46 PM PDT

Good screen, enough RAM, good CPU, that's fully true.

But where does the need for a dedicated graphics come from for doing photo editing? Baisc photo editing is all about calculating pixels (by the CPU) in a bitmap (in the RAM). The graphic card doesn't do anything special; just showing the bitmap on the screen.

For games and 3d design programs it's another thing.

Collapse -
ya i will suggest
by Hardwareplanet / April 26, 2012 7:30 PM PDT

dedicated graphics is sufficient for you as i have 256dedicted graphics and its well proper for me to have it as to play games also and for photoshop and all its more than enough .

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.