Windows Legacy OS forum

DecodePointer - simple question

by sb44663 / November 13, 2012 7:24 AM PST

Hello All,
I bought Windows XP to run using virtual box on my mac book pro so I can play pc games. My game installs fine but when I attempt to run it I get an error message saying: "The procedure point DecodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll." I have done some reading and my understanding is that DecodePointer was added in the second service pack. Is that all you guys think needs to be done? Does anyone know where i can get DecodePointer/SP2?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DecodePointer - simple question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DecodePointer - simple question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Just checking did you try this on google?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 8:27 AM PST

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / November 13, 2012 10:51 PM PST

Also, Windows in a VM will not be suitable for much in the way of gaming beyond the likes of Solitaire.

Collapse -
i hope not
by sb44663 / November 14, 2012 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: Also

I very much hope that the solution to my problem is that XP cannot run the game within a virtual environment. Can anyone think of a reason why this would be the case?

Collapse -
Why hope? Why not try? Why not do the SP2?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2012 10:53 PM PST
In reply to: i hope not

And why stop there? Even in a VM I let Windows Update update this. Why not let it update?

Collapse -
I have
by sb44663 / November 16, 2012 9:18 AM PST

I am currently updated to sp3. I game begins to run but cuts out in its title screen.

Collapse -
The VM is going to be limited.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2012 1:43 PM PST
In reply to: I have

In some VM's I've had some luck if the VM allows me to allocate more video memory.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.