Cameras forum

General discussion

Deciding Between Sony Cybershot T100 and Canon Powershot SD

by just89135 / June 14, 2007 10:36 AM PDT

I am trying to pick between these two cameras. I can not decide. Please let me know which one you guys think takes the best overall pictures. The camera will mostly be used to take pictures of my year and half old kid.

Thanks for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Deciding Between Sony Cybershot T100 and Canon Powershot SD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Deciding Between Sony Cybershot T100 and Canon Powershot SD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry the title of the Cannon was Powershot SD850 IS
by just89135 / June 14, 2007 10:40 AM PDT

The title got cut off and I posted before I noticed it.

Collapse -
Canon Sony
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 14, 2007 11:57 PM PDT

There is not much information available about either camera.
Neither has been reviewed by the professionals yet.

Here is a link that shows the specifications:

Note the red stars.
That is the rating given by the owners of the cameras.
Right under the red stars is a link to "owner's opinions".
Click that link and see what owners think.

There are so few opinions listed for the Canon SD850, that you can not really draw a conclusion. There is one bogus listing where some guy rants and raves about the shortcoming of the camera, but the camera he is describing is not a SD850, because he gripes about a wide angle lens that the SD850 does not have.

There is usually a crack pot or two in owner's opinions.

But there are enough opinions for the Sony T100 that you should get a feeling for that camera.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the help
by just89135 / June 15, 2007 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon Sony
Collapse -
Avoid the Sony Cybershot!
by Asahina Kazuma / June 16, 2007 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the help

My recommendation is to avoid the Sony Cybershot if you are going to use your camera for mostly indoors.

I made the mistake of getting the Sony thinking it was great-all-around camera. Nope, I noticed that the pictures looked fabulous on the lcd and the overall design feature is just great. But it just comes down to how your pictures look good on the computer and print. Guess what? The pictures are grainy and cheap looking. Not what I expected.

If you are planning to use it mostly outdoors with a lot of light, then it takes incredible pictures. Indoors, look for a Canon Powershot instead. I recommend the SD800, SD850, or the SD900. They take amazing pictures.

Collapse -
Avoid the Sony Cybershot
by just89135 / June 16, 2007 3:53 AM PDT

Thanks for the help

Collapse -
Sony T-100 vs Canon SD850 IS

Dear Just,
I just got the Canon several days ago and have played with it enough to know that it's the best SD thus far. I also have the Sony T-100 and it seems to focus more quickly and accurately. The Sony works better in good light. The Canon takes better shots in low light situations. Both take amazing videos with excellent sound and you can zoom with both in the video mode but the canon seems to take a bit longer to focus. The Image Stabilization on the Canon works better than on the Sony. Both have execellent battery life.

The reviewer that stated that the Sony pictures look cheap and grainey is doing something wrong.

I know this isn't that helpful but in this case, both cameras are really good. This is actually a situation in which you can't go wrong either way. I use the small cameras when I don't want to carry around my Nikon D80.

I would get the Canon 850 IS. I think it would be best for what you want to do. It's somewhat easier to manipulate the settings. The Sony requires that you go into the menus which is harder to do quickly. With a 1.5 year old, you don't have that kind of time!

Good Luck!

Collapse -
re cybershot vs sd850
by Quixotic115 / June 21, 2007 3:28 PM PDT

I have the same problem; i have to decide between the sd850 and the cybershot. I think that the cybershot looks better in terms of style vs the sd 850. But it seems like it would be a good idea to buy a camera from a company that specializes in cameras rather than just general electronics like Sony. I'd like to hear some more opinions because I'm really stuck. They're both 400 and have pretty much the same stats right?

Collapse -
by Snow Princess / June 21, 2007 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: re cybershot vs sd850

Check out this comparison of the two items:

You're right, the Sony looks better designed and it's OK to choose a product on that basis if they both produce about the same image quality. I personally don't like the lens protruding from a point and shoot camera but I purchased the SD850 IS as a second point and shoot and because I like the color swap creative feature that Canon cameras have. The Sony produces remarkable images, focuses fast and takes some amazing macros. The Canon is just somewhat better in low light and indoor situations.

This will be a hard decision because both cameras are really good. Go to a retailer and try out both. Also, I've had the SD700, SD750 and the SD900 and the SD850 IS is quite better than all the above except for the SD700 which it replaces.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
by Snow Princess / June 22, 2007 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: re cybershot vs sd850

I played with both cameras extensively today and my new recomendation is get the Sony. The images are so much sharper, and more vivid.

Collapse -
Regarding Canon SD700...
by lisab6184 / June 24, 2007 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: sony/canon

Hello Snowprincess,

I'm looking for a camera with higher than 3x zoom capability and am leaning toward the Canon SD700. Since you have this camera I'd like to hear what you have to say about it vs the Sony T100 which has less zoom. You say you're leaning more toward the Sony now due to image quality but how does it compare to the Canon SD700?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Collapse -
Canon SD700 vs SD850 vs Sony T100
by Nathan131 / June 30, 2007 4:14 AM PDT

Great question! Can you help, Snowprincess? Given the reviews of all three cameras, and given that I recently went to Bestbuy to look at the 850 and the display model had a lens mechanism that was jammed in the half-open position, I'm leaning toward finding a 700. It doesn't have the technical advancements of the 850, but it seems to win in the image quality category. But I'm also interested in why you changed your mind about the Sony. Did you solve the low light/grainy/poor contrast problems? If the image quality matched the 700, I might put up with Sony proprietary issues and get the T100.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.