Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Debating Windows Vista

by Tracerbullet7 / September 24, 2008 1:45 PM PDT

I recently purchased a new computer that only came equipped with Windows Vista. I bit the bullet and decided that I could except such a buggy OS for the fancy new features my computer has. Now, I routinely get 5-10 Blue Screens of Death per day. Combine that with the fact that many of my programs consistantly crash and the OS doesn't boot correctly 25% of the time, and I am done. I wish to get XP on this system. So I have 2 questions:

1) I have an old "Gateway XP Installation" disk from my old computer. My current computer is an HP. Is it possible to download this on my computer?

2) If I do just have to purchase XP, how dificult is it to install on and take off Vista? Is there a site that walks me through it? Or is it rather simple? Please help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Debating Windows Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Debating Windows Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No and Depends
by Jimmy Greystone / September 24, 2008 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Debating Windows Vista

No and Depends are the answers to your questions.

Long story short, you can't always install XP on newer computers because there aren't any XP drivers for the hardware. So, before doing much of anything, you will probably want to make sure there are XP drivers for your system. If there aren't, you're just out of luck and will have to either use Vista or look into something like Linux.

But installing Windows is not that difficult overall. Put the disc in the drive, reboot the system, follow the on screen instructions. If you have a SATA drive, there's an extra step where you have to load a SATA driver, but it's not that difficult overall.

Collapse -
by Tracerbullet7 / September 24, 2008 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: No and Depends

Is there a particular place I can find if Drivers are available for my computer? My comp is a HP Pavilion Dv9700 Notebook PC.

Collapse -
HP may HIDE THE DRIVERS on some FTP site.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2008 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Hrm..
Collapse -
For That dv9000 Series..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 25, 2008 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Hrm..

A few of the drivers are located at the link below. Still, you'll need to verify each and everyone is comparable to the devices currently installed on your machine.. They may, or may not be the correct device.:

HP Pavilion dv9000

In order to verify the devices and their drivers, you'll want to check the Device Manager, then write down ALL of the names of the devices, processor type, etc., their manufacturers and their version numbers so you can compare them to the XP version..,

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Expanding on that...
by John.Wilkinson / September 25, 2008 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: No and Depends

1.) The OEM EULA prohibits using the copy of Windows for your old Gateway on another computer, so you'd have to purchase a retail/OEM copy of XP, regardless of driver availability.

2.) The installer guides you through it, with Vista's being much easier to follow along with. However, note that you can upgrade from XP to Vista but you cannot downgrade from Vista to have to wipe the hard drive, losing all of your personal files and programs, and start from scratch with a basic OS. Remember to backup what you cannot lose!

Collapse -
The problem is more than Vista
by Precede / October 5, 2008 12:38 AM PDT

I read field a lot of questions regarding Vista through my IT business. Customers that have solid hardware builds don't tend to have problems with Vista. Most users have problems with Vista when they have applications and/or hardware that are clearly uncompatible with Vista. Although you bought a new computer, the chipset of your motherboard and the hardware components could be 1 or 2 generations old. In that case, you will have problems. Most of my clients use Vista. I also use Vista Ultimate SP1 on a 2 year-old whitebook that I built and I have no problems. I think you verify that all of the applications you are using are compatible with Vista. If so, you should return the computer. Buy a system with the Intel 4 Series chipset. At the end of the day, I think the manufacturer's build is probably the problem; not Vista.

Collapse -
by JJ / October 7, 2008 6:00 AM PDT

Vista flat out sucks! I have not installed Vista on my computer because of "all" the people that I know have had problems installing software or adding a plug in device. It is like flipping a coin when installing something. The window will come up not recommending installing and when you click install anyway it flat out refuses or sometimes you get lucky and it works. Vista is not an upgrade to XP since it can't do what XP can do. I am sticking with XP. If I was to buy a Laptop, I would only buy one that has XP since as one of my friends found out that Laptop manufactures don't make XP drivers. My next computer I build will have XP and not that stubborn Vista.

Collapse -
It's funny
by Jimmy Greystone / October 7, 2008 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

It's funny, because when XP came out, people said a lot of the same things about it, and how they were sticking with Win98/Me/2000.

Yes, the uptake for Vista's been a bit slow, but it was so long in development that XP had a good long time to become entrenched. People are creatures of habit, and we tend to resist change, even when that change is for the better.

Truth is, Vista's not all THAT bad if you just make sure to run it on decent hardware. It has its share of warts, but so does XP and every other version of Windows. Frankly, IMO, it's been downhill ever since Windows 3.1. I'm not a big fan of this desktop metaphor crap that Microsoft has never managed to do even half as well as Apple. Frankly, I'd like to see some actual innovation in the market, not just gradual evolutions of an existing idea with more features tacked on. I pretty much gave up on Microsoft being this company about 13 years ago when they came out with Windows95. At least the Windows 3.1 Program Manager was different. Mac OS X was only moderately different by including the NeXTStep Dock to what is otherwise largely the same UI they've been using since around the Apple ][ days. And sadly the open source world seems intent on copying whatever Microsoft and Apple are doing.

In any case, 3-4 years from now, everyone will be talking about how they're not going to upgrade to Windows 7 (or whatever it's called then) because there's nothing wrong with Vista. This has been going on with every single Windows upgrade for over a decade. It's a little sad really when you think about it. Especially people who make up their mind about things without having even tried it, but rely on second or third hand information. That really is one of the saddest things of all. For all you know, Vista could be the perfect OS for you, but you refuse to even give it a chance. Truly a pity.

Collapse -
Re: It's funny
by JJ / October 7, 2008 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: It's funny

You are wrong about XP. I got it after about a month it was out. I installed it and everything worked. Try that with Vista that has been out much longer than than XP was out when I installed it.

Collapse -
Where exactly
by Jimmy Greystone / October 7, 2008 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: It's funny

Where exactly did I say that YOU specifically made those claims? I just said that people, referring to the amorphous group of all computer users, were saying the same things about XP as they were about Vista.

More than that, while Vista is hardly the upgrade promised years ago, I look at it more as an interim release that lays a lot of the foundational groundwork for future releases. Aero is one such example. It has yet to be seen whether or not Microsoft will do much of anything with Aero, or even third party developers, but it allows any desktop app to utilize DirectX features which is a huge thing. It opens up all kinds of possibilities. How many of them will actually be realized is unknown at this point in time, but future releases of Windows could use the foundation that is Aero, and build upon it.

And so far I haven't had any problems with getting my stuff to work on Vista. I'm even using the 64-bit Vista, so that should complicate things further. I just haven't had any significant problems getting things to work period. Hardware, software, all of it works just fine. Had some minor issues getting my Xbox 360 to be able to stream media off of my desktop, but that's just because Microsoft insists on you having to use their software for everything. And considering it doesn't hold a candle to Xbox Media Center for the original Xbox, unless I start running across a lot of 720p and 1080i/p content, doubt I'll be using it much.

How much have you actually used Vista personally? If you've used it a fair amount and don't like it, that's fine, but to claim to hate something you haven't even used is just stupid.

Collapse -
Re: Where exactly
by JJ / October 7, 2008 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Where exactly

I have used it on family and friends computers. I don't like the UI especially how you get it to shut down and I have spent many hours trying to get the damn thing to install software and hardware. It is like flipping a coin.

Collapse -
i dont get the criticism
by phillongtran / October 11, 2008 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Where exactly

i've been using vista for almost a year...i have both a vista laptop and my older one with xp...the xp unit is now a dust collector...not that it doesnt work...but vista for me is so nice to work with...i'll stay with the new stuff thanks...

Collapse -
Really Is Funny
by Phil411 / October 18, 2008 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: It's funny

I was one of those who despised Vista, but now having upgraded to the new OS, I've had nothing bad to say about Vista. Runs perfect on my 4 year old laptop, with no major problems.

Looking forward to Windows 7...

Collapse -
by husker86 / October 7, 2008 6:40 AM PDT

In correlation with your questions:

1. It might be possible to install XP using the disc you got from your Gateway machine on your HP machine because more-in-likely it is a OEM disc. The problem is that usually those type of disc's that come with a machine are for that company's brand so although it may install fine it might not automatically activate Windows so you might need a valid XP CD key anyways or just call Microsoft with the number it gives you if activation fails.

2. If your computer comes pre-installed with Vista on it and does not come with a XP rollback disc (Like Dell does or did offer) then more-in-likely you will need to reformat the hard drive, which will wipe Vista off and then you can install XP. You can upgrade from XP to Vista, but not downgrade from Vista to XP. Unless something has changed that is your only options I think.

I have used Vista since it came out in 2006 and early on yes it had a lot of bugs and problems, but now two years later sure it still has it's faults but it as greatly improved since. I use it and have no major errors, but encounter the occasional minor ones.

Collapse -
If you just bought it return it.
by Dango517 / October 10, 2008 11:49 AM PDT

This maybe more of a PC problem then the OS problem. I think I've had only two Blue screen in the two years I've owned this Vista compatible PC and this was one of the early models known for driver problems.

You have a problem but it isn't Vista.

What are those Blue screens saying? Be exact, the words, numbers and symbols are important.

Collapse -
Debating Windows Vista
by clhd / October 10, 2008 11:58 AM PDT

Before un-installing Vista and re-installing some flavor of XP (by the way I don't think the Gateway rescue disks will work. Gateway "builds" the disks for the hardware on that particular system) try to do a little research on what is actually causing the problems. Look for updated drivers and such from HP and also look for software patches and such. HP usually will not release a laptop without testing and retesting the hardware for Vista compatibility.

Also check the XP/Vista compatibility for your older software that ran on XP. Sometimes there is a patch and sometimes not. You can usually solve the problem by running the software in compatibility mode(right click .exe and select compatibility).

I built my computer to Vista specs when Vista was a brand new OS and have VERY good success with it. In two years I have had to reinstall twice, both due to hardware changes. I personally love this OS although the 64bit drivers where hard to come by at first.

Collapse -
Stick with Vista
by mwooge / October 10, 2008 11:10 PM PDT

Switching to XP would be a new can of worms, with its own problems.

My advice is to try to fix what you have rather than try a radical solution.

Note that if you're considering returning our machine, do so while you can. There's a very short time limit.

Collapse -
New OS won't fix your problem
by jjacobus / October 11, 2008 8:14 AM PDT

I doubt putting a new OS on the PC will help. If you are getting "5-10" per day plus programs "consistently" crashing. You have a hardware problem. I have 3 different HP laptops all running Vista and have never seen a Blue Screen of Death. I know it if popular to bash Vista, but the OS is fine when running on the right hardware. If you have a new HP, you should take it back to your dealer and get it checked out. You are wasting your time to try to retrofit a new os on bad hardware.

Collapse -
Most Likely Hardware
by Phil411 / October 11, 2008 12:53 PM PDT

This sounds purely to be a hardware issue. You say the computer "Blues" multiple times a day with program crashes. If this is a new system you should return it and have it checked out.

Another possible problem could be a faulty install of the OS, as what happened when I first installed Vista. If this is a brand new computer it should have came with HP restore disks, or may have a partition on your harddrive containing restore data. You can find help with this on the HP website, just run a search on your computer model.

Personally I've been running Vista Ult. SP1 for a few days now on an '05 model HP laptop without any problems, other than finding compatible drivers for both my aging hardware & Vista. However my system is surprisingly Faster and More RELIABLE now than it ever was with XP. Of course I was reluctant to purchase Vista when it first hit stores but two years on the OS is much more stable, so stick with Vista and have your computer checked.

Collapse -
xp on a vista machine
by cyclonica1980 / October 13, 2008 6:02 AM PDT

sadly it is becoming increasingly hard to put XP on newer machines. Driver support is limited and XP is no longer in production. However do not fear. Vista is going bye bye really soon Happy thats all i will say.

Collapse -
by zgreenwell / October 14, 2008 8:00 AM PDT

If you're getting blue screen then there is something royally screwed up with your computer. Since you just bought it, take it back where you got it from and get your money back. If you're buying a new PC and it has Vista, use Vista. Your OS is not your problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.