Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

debate is between wii and 360, just forget ps3

by damavandeh7 / December 14, 2006 10:10 AM PST

The main thing I was really caring about was the games, not the dvd and other things. I'm buying a gamesystem aren't I ,who really cares for all the extra stuff. The ps3 really doesn't have that a lot to offer dealling with its games. Cause it doesn't really have much more the the 360, but a really high price. The 360 has just as good graphics, if not better, and definetly a lot of better games. Allthough neither the 360 or the ps3 are my first choise for a new system. My debate was between the wii and 360. I thought the games for the wii looked a little coller than the games for the 360. Because of the motion control, which makes it a lot cooler, and over come 360's awsome graphics. Also I allready have a gamecube, so if i get a wii, I can sell my gamecube, but still be able to play all my games. My freind has a 360, and I do think its awsome, but all his good games are shooters. And I'm not saying that they aren't awsome, but you kind of get tired of the. While the wii has a variety of types of games, that use motion control making it the first system on my list to buy.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: debate is between wii and 360, just forget ps3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: debate is between wii and 360, just forget ps3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't understand
by crugg / December 15, 2006 2:03 AM PST

Why people would even want to buy a ps3. It costs over a half a grand and at the moment you can get many of the popular games for the PS3 on XBOX 360. The Wii just makes my gaming days filled with fun while my xbox 360 is the large and powerful machine for games like halo, gears of war, and call of duty.

Collapse -
Go with Wii.
by freakwithahat / December 16, 2006 4:39 PM PST

As you said, you are going for the games, and the Wii will definitely deliver. It's a fun, interactive system that is more about having fun than being blown away by graphics. As for me, I'm buying a PS3 ( eventually, no rush here ) because right now, it's the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market. Plus, I just can't wait for God of War! It's true that right now the 360 is on par with the PS3 for graphics, but in the future, the PS3 will pull ahead. As it is with most technology, it takes a little bit for developers to harnes the power of the device. Think about Halo compared to Halo 2 graphics wise, Halo 2 blows Halo away, still on the same system. The PS3 has more raw processing power, and outputs at 1080p, so it has the advantage on paper.

Collapse -
hmm...
by ernieve / December 22, 2006 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: Go with Wii.

i think the 360 rocks, but eventually i will get a ps3 because (like u said) it is the cheapest blu-ray player and i can just see blu-ray do real amazing stuff (sry, that was really dumb, but you know what i mean). and to add to my confusion, i love halo! halo is just about one of the best games ever made. and, i hate the playstation controllers!!! my newphew has a ps2 and i hate the controller! it makes my thumbs hurt. i wish sony would have changed the controller on the ps3. i really do. so, for me, its either halo and no blu-ray, or blu-ray and sore thumbs. i will get both of them someday though. 360 being first on the list.

Collapse -
PS3 is b etter than 360
by hermandic / December 28, 2006 3:51 AM PST

the PS3 has tons more things to offer, it has better graphics, its got blu ray disc which has 40GB of memory while the normal DVD which the 360 has only has 4GB of memory, the PS3's cell processor is tons stronger than the 360, and also theres supposed to be a big price drop sometime after april, it'll be the same price as the 360, so that knocks out the 360, and the Wii is more fun and stuff and i have one and a ps3 and i like the wii more, but i'd have to say... Wii = PS3 > 360, the 360 is just a bunch of crap into a box which is actually more expensive if u want all the features, the xbox live is 5 bucks a month ps3 = free, the hddvd extension is quite a bit, the wireless adaptor is alot and not to mention the HDMI output, i know u have to buy one for ps3 also, but all togetehr its about 700 something for the 360

Collapse -
You are wrong
by ernieve / December 28, 2006 7:21 AM PST

The PS3 is weak sauce. The xbox 360 has a HUGE library of the best games ever made (aka: HALO!!! and Gears of War). But, the PS3 has.....hmm.....what does it have? Oh yeah! Nothing.

Collapse -
Yeah
by crugg / December 28, 2006 1:06 PM PST

Even if you came back with some crazy stunt like guitar hero. Oh wait, 360 gets that next November as well. Nintendo already stole Snake for its Super Smash Bros. Brawl title also. What does Ps3 have anyway that another system won't get or already has a similar and competitive game already?

Collapse -
...the 360 is not crap...
by pisces03x / January 4, 2007 10:39 AM PST

Both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 have Composite, Component and HDMI-capable cables; the graphics are basically similar. I myself own an Xbox 360 and it is the best system I've ever owned.

Sony marketed the PS3 as "the cheapest Blu-Ray Player on the market". Right now, the DVD wars are in midst. Can you imagine spilling one grand on a PS3 for the Blu-Ray Player... and then finding out HD-DVD is more popular? The PS3 has a very low amount of quality-games compared to the Xbox 360 and even the Nintendo Wii, in addition to the fact that Sony only made about 400,000 units for North America.

The Wii is in NO way equal to the PlayStation3 compatibility-wise, it far surpasses it. The intuitive features that the Wii holds are part of an effort to keep people active.

Right now, the only console worth buying is the Xbox 360; the launch units of the Wii and PS3 may be bugged. My friend purchased a PS3 last week and the system overheated after 20 minutes of game-play. Nintendo recently announced a recall on their Wii-remote wrist straps for snapping while playing motion-sensitive games.

The Xbox 360 is not a burden on price; the unit itself costs $400, MUCH less than the 60 GB PS3 unit, which has a MSRP of about $600.

While all three next-gen systems are amazing in terms of power, I believe 360 rules the market right now, projecting for 10 million units sold in the near future. This is probably due to the year the 360 had to market the system and games, and allow amazing games such as Gears of War to surface. If you give the other two consoles a year, I believe the Wii will surpass the PS3 with its intuitive user interface and launch games. The PS3 will not be far behind; it's an amazing system, true. I agree with you that the PS3 has a strong processor, but you can't directly compare the PS3's processor to that of the 360s as the 360 is custom-built by ATI.

Plus you can use Microsoft-integration with MCX and Media Center to bring Media Center to your Xbox 360 for no additional costs to you.

All in all, the 3 next-gen systems are truly amazing, but I believe Sony shot themselves in the foot when they decided to release the PS3 now. If I was CEO of Sony, I would pause productions on the console until the console wars settle to release the unit. With the 360 and Wii on the market, the PS3 is going to plummet straight to the ground.

Collapse -
i totally agree with u
by ernieve / January 5, 2007 1:48 AM PST

way 2 go pisces03x! thats what i was trying 2 say

Collapse -
what games do you play?
by bmike818 / January 12, 2007 6:57 AM PST

It should come down to this:

Do you like playing with yourself?
Do you like playing with real people?
What is important to you?

I personally have a 360 for almost 10 months now and I am very satisfied with it. Thanks to Gears of Was on the 360 I did not have to buy a new system this Christmas. I am going to get a Wii eventually. But if I had to pick one I would pick my XBox360. I love Nintendo, but for the community and support Microsoft is number one right now. Wii looks very promising. But I don't want to be left out when Halo 3 comes and all the 360 are sold out, and it's very possible.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.