Samsung

General discussion

Dear Mr. Samsung; HT-BD8200 Sound Bar & LN46A950 Questions

by LateBloomer / September 19, 2009 1:22 AM PDT

Dear Mr. Samsung,

I currently own a LN46A950 and am absolutely loving it!! I have been holding out for the Samsung HT-BD8200 Sound Bar to arrive and it looks like it should be in my local Best Buy soon (I have yet to see one in person). I can't believe I haven't watched a Bluray on this Uber-TV as of yet!!!!The wife doesn?t want me to turn our living room into a ?Man Cave? by setting up a standard surround system with multiple components and speakers?so this seems like a great compromise. Plus I think I have her ?sold? on the idea. I do have a few questions I was hoping you (or anyone else) might be able to help me out with:

I?ve mounted the LN46A950 on the wall with a tilting bracket. It extends about 6 inches from the wall. My intent was to mount the Sound Bar directly below the TV in order to hide the wires behind it and avoid having to cut more holes in the drywall in order to ?snake? the wires a mere 4-6 inches. Considering the ?slot loading? design and that the Sound Bar protrudes 1.85 inches from the wall (according to the Sammy website) , I have a feeling this mounting option may not work because I won?t be able to actually load discs because the TV will be in the way?..your thoughts? I may have to just ?build out? the Sound Bar with a 2 x 4 in order to make it flush with the TV. Or are there any customized mounting brackets that Samsung makes or aftermarket mounts that you are aware of??...I'd really hate to have a hunk a wood behind my system in order to make it usable.

I was planning on running a optical cable from the TV to the Sound Bar in order to hear audio from my cable box. I thought I read on another post that the TV actually converts audio from 5:1 to 2:1 stereo. If this is correct, would the Sound Bar function in Virtual Surround as it is intended if configured this way??...or should I run the optical cable directly from the cable box to the Sound Bar (bypassing the TV) in order to achieve the best possible sound?

I have the TV hardwired to my Wi-Fi router via an Ethernet-LAN cable in order to access the info link service and access pictures and video located on a 2 TB NAS Server/hard drive. I?d like to take advantage of the Ethernet-LAN capabilities (Netflix, Pandora, Home Media....etc)of the Sound Bar as well, but really don?t want to snake another cable 2 floors. Can I simply use an ?Ethernet Splitter? ($1.99 @ Radio Shack) in order to ?split? the current cable behind the TV and connect both the TV and the Sound Bar to my Wi-Fi router.....will it work? I realize I could use the Wi-Fi dongle and go wireless for either the TV or Sound Bar, but would prefer to hardwire if possible and if it would only cost me a few bucks for the splitter and short cables?why not!?!?! If it won't work, I may just "dongle" the TV for infolink and hardwire the Sound Bar for everything else considering the data needs for streaming video, music....etc

Getting home video, pictures, music etc to play on my TV has been a challenge??I?ve had to create ?mklinks? http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102-0.html?messageID=2985906&tag=commProfileMain;profileBot#2985906 in order to access info on my NAS server from the TV, plus my laptop has to be p n running. Also it won?t play most of my music files due to compatibility issues. It?s not very user friendly and because of this, I don?t use the feature that often. The Sound Bar also appears to have the capability to do this as well (I thnk). Is this feature provided through the PC Share Manager software similar to the TV??...or is it something new?...with a better interface and hopefully more user friendly.

Curious to know if there has been any firmware updates on the LN46A950 regarding the widget feature? I looked on the Samsung Website and didn?t see anything listed??could this be something available in the future as a simple software upgrade?

Sorry for writing a ?bible of a post??but I figured I hit you with everything in a single post.

Thanks again!!

Samsung fan for life!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dear Mr. Samsung; HT-BD8200 Sound Bar & LN46A950 Questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dear Mr. Samsung; HT-BD8200 Sound Bar & LN46A950 Questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dear Mr. Samsung; HT-BD8200 Sound Bar & LN46A950 Questions
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 19, 2009 10:32 PM PDT

LateBloomer,

Thanks for your enthusiasm, and I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying your set.

The HT-BD8200 was designed with the slim mounts that are available on the 2009 product lines. Not that it can't be used, but the ultra-thin designs of the panels this year are designed to be complimented with the HT-BD8200. This explains why the design is thin.

Your suspicions are correct in that it may not work for your situation unless the player is mounted that disc length's away under the unit. I'm not aware of any customizing brackets, as the brackets that come with it are the only ones I know are available today. So "building out" seems to be the best option, at least in this scenario.

The output of the television - through optical - is downconverted to 2.1, with the exception of the tuner input for the television. Since the soundbar is one unit (well, with the sub, of course), all of the audio inputs would technically be 2.1 anyway. The processing is what would allow you to get the Virtual Surround, and all that is done inside of the HT-BD8200. Even a 5.1 audio signal would be down-converted, processed and then sent through the speakers.

The way I read the specifications on the HT-BD8200, it doesn't appear to have an ethernet port. If it DOES, then yes, you may be able to use a splitter - well, a "switch" - to connect multiple devices, which also leaves room for future upgrades. And they can be relatively inexpensive. But if it doesn't have eithernet, then the WIS09ABGN dongle (@ $80) will get you connected wirelessly.

I'd have to wait to work with the player itself to talk more about the streaming media capabilities. I'm hoping it will be more user friendly - as it should play more formats than the television - again, I have to work on on it.

The LNxxA950 units - as spectacular as they are - don't have the necessary processing or memory to be able to process, store or stream widgets. The technology wasn't available last year for the televisions, so unfortunately, I can say with much certainty that the widgets will not be available for your television.

Oh, and to get to your other question, I believe it may have to re-read and re-populate the entire databank. It seemed to do that to me, on a much lesser scale with much less content, but that was my impression.

Does that help? Again, thanks for the upbeat post. If I can help further, let me know - and I'll work on getting that network information and ethernet confirmation.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks!!!...just to clarify.............
by LateBloomer / September 19, 2009 11:26 PM PDT

Yes...I had a feeling the mounting optin I proposed would probably be the only way to go.

Regarding the "optical in" on the HT-BD8200. How would you configure it??....would you by-pass th TV entirely...or does it simply not matter? Sounds like your telling me it doesn't matter...just want to make sure,

Maybey I mis-spoke about the connectivity options on the soundbar...isn't Ethernet, LAN and RJ45 all the same thing? According to the Sound Bar manual it has a LAN port for streaming Netflix, Pandora, home media....etc to it. Am I wrong on that? Similarly the LN46A950 uses a LAN connection to access infolink and home media. You had said a "switcher"...that leads me to believe I would have to reach around the TV (thats where I want to put the switcher)in order to determine which componet (TV or Sound BAR) I'd want to access my router. Wouldn't a simple "Splitter" accomplish the same thing without having to manually switch?? See link below for an example of what I mean:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ceo1shop.com/images/ceo_ca0009.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ceo1shop.com/rj45-rj11-cat-5-lan-ethernet-connector-splitter-adapter.html&usg=__IDDR86MRohQR0TnwBwWJQYJWnNI=&h=400&w=400&sz=10&hl=en&start=13&um=1&tbnid=pVK_ia02rgMY7M:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlan%2Bsplitter%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4ADBF_en___US332%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Also according to the Sound Bar manual the "Wireless Lan Adapter" is included(Page 4) ...can you confirm? Also, If I end up using the Wireless Lan Adapter (if the "splitter Option" above doesn't work)...can it be used on the TV as well???...or is it somehow "paired" only to the Sound Bar?

I'll have to study the user manuual a little more closely to see if it gives any indication on the user interface in order to stream home media

And yes...the PC Share manager has to re-read and re-populat your entire database everytie you add new media to the server. Considerig I have close to a TB of Music, video and photos...this take forever!!!

Thanks again for all your help!!

Collapse -
a little help!?!?
by LateBloomer / September 21, 2009 4:28 AM PDT

anyone??

Collapse -
Thanks!!!...just to clarify.............
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 23, 2009 9:33 PM PDT

LateBloomer,

I apologize for the delay.

I was incorrect, and there is an Ethernet (LAN) port. The switch is an automatic swich, meaning a connection piece that allows you to hook up several networked peripherals for an internet connection - like an "octaplug" power bar does for electricity. No "switching" required, manual or otherwise. So it makes two ethernet ports work through one wire.

The wireless LAN adapter (WIS09ABGN) is a good idea, but if you're already routing a wired line to the television, you might as well just add the functionality. The LN46A950 uses the WIS08xxx adapter (which can be hard to find), while the HT-BD8200 would require the WIS09ABGN adapter, which is readily available. Both units will not operate on one wireless LinkStick.

1TB will likely have to be read every time then, and there's not much I can suggest to minimize that.

For the optical, you could try it with several different configurations, but I think the difference is relatively minimal. If you're using several sources (DVD, Blu-Ray, game consoles, TV, etc), you might just output the audio from the TV that way.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung HT-BD8200 issues!
by charleston300 / February 18, 2010 12:43 AM PST

Hi, I just purchased a Samsung HT-BD8200 Sound bar to go along with my Samsung UN46B7000 LED tv. I have an HDMI cable going from my satellite box to the tv, an HDMI cable going from the sound bar to the tv, and an optical cable going from the sound bar to the satellite box. I cannot get the satellite broadcast to play out of the sound bar. I can play blu-ray discs and dvds just fine via the HDMI cable, however it simply does not work for my satellite box. I have the tv audio set on "external speaker" and when I turn on the sound bar--Anynet automatically shuts off the tv speakers and I get no sound out of the sound bar. I tried connecting the optical cable between the tv and the sound bar as well and it will not work either. The optical cable seems to be working (the red light is on in the cable). I tried Samsung tech support and they thought it was a bad optical cable port. I sent it to Samsung warranty repair, they tested it, updated the firmware, and they claim it's working fine. When I received it back I tried again with no success. Could the optical cable be bad somehow? I really appreciate your feedback.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.