The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Dear Electric Slide Creator: Keep your stupid dance!

by robstak / February 5, 2007 5:54 AM PST

This is ridiculous:

[choice quote]
"But on the YouTube page Silver himself posted showing the Electric Slide, he wrote, "Any video that shows my choreography being done incorrectly is being removed. I don't want future generations having to learn it wrong and then relearn it as I am being faced with now because of certain sites and (people) that have been teaching it incorrectly and without my permission. That's the reason I (copyrighted) it in the first place."

"Silver said only Joe Pesci, best known for his Oscar-winning role in the gangster classic Goodfellas, performed the dance correctly in the decidedly lesser-known film, The Super."

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dear Electric Slide Creator: Keep your stupid dance!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dear Electric Slide Creator: Keep your stupid dance!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by metanoya / February 5, 2007 7:33 AM PST

I second the UGHHHH

Collapse -
C'mon Richard...
by tbwaldo / February 5, 2007 9:35 AM PST

Have you seen this guy's myspace page? It's crazy. I'm not sure why so many buff men are his friends. ANYWAY - I'm a drummer so I have a good sense of rhythm...and I can dance. And I've been doing the electric slide for many, many years. But, I have never - NEVER seen the dance done as bad as this guy does it on his instructional myspace video.

If you can copyright the electric slide and enforce violations of that copyright, what's next? Copyrights on the robot, the jerk, the wop, the running man, the charlie brown, the snake, the wave, the cabbage patch...where would it end? Wedding ceremonies and family reunions would cease to exists the way we know them today!

Ok. I've given this craziness enough time.

Collapse -
electric slide
by sheala / February 7, 2007 10:42 PM PST
In reply to: C'mon Richard...

I'm not sure I know what the electric slide looks like and now I may never know!

Collapse -
Go to any country/western bar
by ktreb / February 11, 2007 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: electric slide

And if they do any sort of line dancing, you'll see the electric slide, danced to that horrible, horrible song of the same name. (It's electric!...boogie woogie woogie....)

Collapse -
by ktreb / February 11, 2007 4:07 AM PST

The correct name of that insipid song is "Electric Boogie" by Marcia Griffiths.

Ric Silver's website (you can hear the song):

The proper version posted by Ric himself:

Although it's really not the same without the music Happy

Collapse -
He bought them
by PayPal_Cameron / February 11, 2007 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: C'mon Richard...

I remember them talking about buying friends on MySpace on an old BOL episode.

Collapse -
He Bought Them????
by TheDancer / August 16, 2008 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: He bought them

I have never BOUGHT a guy in my life - friend or otherwise -
they happen to all be my friends - and I have many more
You're JUST envious - poor thing!

Collapse -
Tangent Alert
by emmuh / August 16, 2008 3:15 PM PDT

The year is 1989. The scene is a dive bar in Silver Spring, MD. There's a dance floor. There are a couple dozen people - all ages of men & women - in the joint. A buddy and I were there are the end of a long day of sight-seeing in DC. We're nursing frosty adult beverages.

A song comes on the jukebox. Every other customer, and I mean every other customer, in the bar - without a word being spoken or prompting of any other kind - stood at the first notes of the tune and walked to the dance floor. They formed organized lines and began synchronized moves.

We were freaked to point of wondering whether we were in the middle of a cult and we had stumbled upon their secret handshake, so to speak. We were too shaken to ask any questions.

It was many years later before I ever heard the song, Electric Boogie, again, but I recognized it immediately. Eventually someone was able to educate me about line dancing, and the Electric Slide, specifically.

I enjoyed telling that story for years from the perspective that I was once surrounded by a bunch of scary people. Now I enjoy telling the story about how ignorant I was. Good times, good times.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.