Samsung

General discussion

Dead Pixel, will it go away? Need comfort please

by Ebojager / February 5, 2009 2:42 AM PST

I just got my Samsung LN40A650. Its an amazing TV. I've been following this forum while I waited for my TV to arrive. So after reading all the good and bad stuff, I was pretty nervous. I checked for the flash lighting and clouding people have seen , but this set looks pretty even on a black screen, just slightly brighter on the right side, but I've dropped the backlight down to 4 and its like perfect. I'm assuming this will get better in time. I did notice (1) dead pixel, I think its dead. It shows up on white back ground or light colors. Using those Red, Green, Blue and Black back grounds it doesn't show up on the red, black and blue ones, only on the white and green ones. On white it looks a little red colored. Anyway Its in the upper right so its mostly blocked by my PS3 clock, but does show up when I browse the internet via the PS3, I guess I could try and avoid white web pages Happy Its kind of bothering me, I thinks its just cause I know its there and I paid so much money for the TV. Its probably the best spot for a dead pixel if I had to have one. Is it possible for these types of problem pixels to fix on their own, kind of like the the flash lighting and clouding issues?
I would like some one to tell me its ok, your better off keeping it then possibly getting one that's worse and has flash lighting.
Thank you for your support and opinions!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dead Pixel, will it go away? Need comfort please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dead Pixel, will it go away? Need comfort please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dead pixels
by iVersatile / February 5, 2009 3:30 AM PST

Unless it really doesn't bother you than i suggest keeping it. But if it does bother you than i'm sure you're still within your 30 day return period and should exchange it at the store. If i had only one dead pixel and zero flashlighting i would be completely happy!

If you notice dead pixels, sometimes you can massage them back to
life just rub the screen by pressing a finger gently through a soft cloth
around the pixel. No guaranty but sometimes it works LCD's are
fairly fragile, so take it easy.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Ebojager / February 5, 2009 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: Dead pixels

Thanks, it does bother me alittle, but dont know if I want to gamble on getting one thats perfect. Iam within the 30days, but have to go through Amazon.com. I hear theyre pretty good about returns, but Im worn out worrying about getting this one, not sure how much more I can take Sad

Thanks again for your reply, I do feel better after reading it, thank you.

I might have to take your coment: "If i had only one dead pixel and zero flashlighting i would be completely happy!" and make a post-it note and stick it on my TV, over the dead pixel Wink

Collapse -
Bright Pixel....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 5, 2009 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Ebojager,

If it continues to bother you, we can replace the panel if you'd like. I spoke with one of our service techs and he mentioned that this may probably fall under the warranty guidelines.

So it does qualify if you want to get the issue addressed.

--HDTech

Collapse -
One more question
by Ebojager / February 5, 2009 10:08 AM PST
In reply to: Bright Pixel....

Thank you HD Tech, for your reply.
I know this is kinda a dumb question but , are my chances better to get a replacement that has minimal flashlighting and no dead or stuck pixels, then to get one that might be worse ? Im only asking cause everything on this set is perfect , no scratches , the bezel/frame is perfect all around and the screen is perfectly centered all around too. I might be more unhappy if the screen was tilted or off centered . Maybe unhappy isnt the right word...more slightly less happy Happy
My last tv was the Samsung LNR238W 23", and as big as this 40" is to me Im amazed at the picture even with the dead pixel.

Collapse -
Comfort...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 5, 2009 3:44 PM PST
In reply to: One more question

Ebojager,

As much as I'd like to offer comfort on this issue, I can't guarantee anything to that affect.

If I say yes, and you perceive the flashing to be worse, then I'm the bad guy. If I say no, I'm the bad guy because I'm standing behind a dead pixel. It's kind of a catch-22, so here is my strict OPINION.

Personally, I hate dead pixels. Everyone watching will notice it at some point and say, "Hey, so that's what a dead pixel looks like...". From a consumer point of view to me, that just strips the television of the value.

As for you, I'll leave that decision to you, and help any way I can. Will you be happier as a result of the repair? It's just not a foreseeable judgment I can make because I can't foresee what you will see or how it will turn out. I would assume that it will give you a satisfactory experience if you do so, but that decision ultimately rests with you.

If you're not happy with the repair, we'll do it again or escalate it. It's not a fun process - granted - but we stand behind our product.

I hope you find that to be a fair answer.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same Problem - TV is 5 months old
by goodguyed / November 29, 2012 10:09 PM PST
In reply to: Comfort...

I have the same set and have a single (as far as I know) dead pixel that glows bright red on a black background. It's driving me nuts (though it may be more of a putt than a drive!) I definitely want to have the set fixed, but I'm more concerned that the problem will recur after my warranty has expired. Is there any evidence that the display continues to deteriorate? How pervasive is the problem? Should I ask Samsung for a trade-in toward an upgrade?

Collapse -
Re: Same Problem - TV is 5 months old
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 30, 2012 12:22 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.