PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Dead pc

by jb15426 / November 19, 2012 9:23 AM PST

We've been remodeling our kitchen for a few weeks and I kept my home PC running most of each day. Yesterday evening I found it has hung with 6+ vertical lines on the screen. Num lock didn't work so I knew I was screwed! Boot screens have garbage characters where the lines are and it hangs with a totally screwed up screen after XP launches. Today I opened it up and blew out tons of insulation and sheetrock dust. I'm assuming that I fried something. Any ideas? I'm assuming I blew the display card but can it hang the system/
My system:
XP32
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
EVGA GEFORCE 8800GTS 320MB
4GB (XP 32 only sees 3mb)

Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dead pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dead pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The 8800 glares at me here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: Dead pc

It's a common thing we see at the shop.

Just wondering, after all the discussions about XP 32 and memory, is there any new questions about that?
Bob

Collapse -
All that dust
by Willy / November 19, 2012 12:18 PM PST
In reply to: Dead pc

If you have canned air use it. But, in cases such as yours, if access to an air compressor, use that. Because, there are bound to be areas within the cases still covered or "coated". This is really a last gasp thing to do. If the problem returns, remove the video card??? and blow out that fan and make sure it moves well too. Your construction dusts is very fine and can seize bearing to include the PSU fan(s) and any other. So, upon next booting be sure any fan is running and smoothly. if it boots with no problems, OK. If not try a new video card and reseat the ram. If it does work well, cover the dang thing and/or move elsewhere and leave off until use.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
The 8800 glares at me here
by jb15426 / November 20, 2012 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: All that dust

I agree. I'm on Newegg looking for a replacement. I'm new to your forum so I don't have any history with your XP32/memory discussions, but once I get it running again I'm seriously considering moving to win 7/64 with 8GB mem. I use photoshop a lot so it seems a good upgrade.

Collapse -
Plenty of web content on XP 32 and memory.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 10:10 AM PST

Not only does it report less than 4GB but apps are limited to 2.0GB each. Most folk are only asking why it reports less and with many thousand posts about it you should find some discussion that makes sense to you.
Bob

Collapse -
All that dust
by jb15426 / November 20, 2012 9:52 AM PST

I have a compressor and I was amazed how much stuff came out of the pc. I took the 8800 out and blew tons of dust off the fan and between the fan and board. All of the fans turned while they were being hit by the air but I didn't check if they spun after I powered up; I will. I checked you bio, Willy, and you may be almost as old as me. I'm an old B'er and worked for Compaq after I retired from IBM. I met some great DEC folks while I was there. I worked on mid-range systems early in my career and DEC was kicking butt for a decade or more. You guys were great competition for many years.

Collapse -
Ah gee...
by Willy / November 21, 2012 12:09 AM PST

Thanks for the reply and old time era stuff. I could have owned Compaq when stock 1st released and have even ate at the restaurant where the deal was proposed, but PCs were still very young and hardly doing what they do now. However, the DEC philosophy of "connectivity" reigns today.

I should have mentioned, don't do the "weeee" on the fan, it may over-rev it and cause issues. Just place a length of paper by the fan and see if moves well or at all and test all fans. The 8800 GPU is a demanding one, so it has to be well cooled to include the entire PC.

Since, you're looking at new PCs. Now, is a very goo time to buy, from t-day all the way to Xmas and maybe after. This is the best time of the yr. to do so. Further, any OEM type PC will be far better than you're old XP based PC, just get what you "NEED" rather than just goodies. Check what photoshop needs and up the ante abit.

tada -----Willy F.E. guy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.