Storage forum

General discussion

DBAN will not boot

by tiltmonster / February 9, 2013 3:48 AM PST

Any ideas why I can not get DBAN to boot up, and erase my hard drive? I have tried it with CD and USB. My system recovery discs boot in the same drive. I reboot with the DBAN disc in the same drive; and it goes right into Windows. I have tried every Bios boot order available, and tried a USB flash. Made CD ROM my primary boot drive. Made the hard drive with flash, primary boot. Seems if system discs will boot, I am booting the drive ok? Am I missing something. It is not a perfect set-up because I am using the DVD Rom to boot, in place of a dead CD drive. Even if this were the problem it seems I could boot with USB? I downloaded DBAN direct from the C-net sight direct to drive, and tried next older version from the DBAN sight. Still boot right past into Windows, every time. My system is about 10 years old, so I was considering something to do with the version of DBAN, or something on my computer it needs to run? Does not seem like it. Any ideas? Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DBAN will not boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DBAN will not boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I often find folk putting the .ISO file on a CD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: DBAN will not boot

Rather than creating the CD from the .ISO. This difference looks subtle but matters. Tell the forum what you used to create this bootable CD.
Bob

Collapse -
You may have something here?
by tiltmonster / February 9, 2013 6:42 AM PST

Had to look up .ISO. Is that similar to a Zip file? Yes I do have the ISO file only, on the boot disk I am trying to use. Problem identified there. I did however, just this last time, get the USB version of DBAN; and opened that one up over top of itself on the flash; and ended up with 11 separate files. This did not work as a boot device either. many of my attempts were directly with the ISO file I presume, aside this last one. I only have the ISO file as you mention, on the primary CD, I have been trying to use. Which means, I am not the only one, yippee Happy I did try opening it on the old target machine only; but it is bare bones, and wanted to go hunting on the internet for something to open it. I did not want a disk killer loose on my main machine; or I might have figured something out. I guess I am using Firefox, to download into the downloads folder, or directly to the CD/USB. What form, and what tools do I need here? I did not notice any download instructions, perhaps I missed them : ) Do I need to open the ISO file after the download? What do I open it with? Then what? I am sure this is the problem. I can live with 2 wasted days. Set me straight.please : ) Thank you moderator! I think you nailed it

Collapse -
Bootable burn s/w setup
by Willy / February 9, 2013 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: DBAN will not boot

I hpe you got the .ISO file and then used a proper burner like IMGBURN(free) and then in its setting used "make bootable" or similar. I also use CDburnerXP(free) and again use the .ISO file gotten, burn it. Make the CD drive the 1st boot device and it should work. You can't copy files to a blank CD or anything like that, it just won't work. Try this again, using the s/w I suggested it should work.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I don't know about all that : ))))
by tiltmonster / February 9, 2013 7:17 AM PST

CyberLink DVD suite, seemed to come up as an option, and it burns. I am preparing the boot disc on my main computer, which is not obsolete. I also have HP Media Smart, Windows DVD maker also. Windows 7 has a burn feature. Will any of those work? This process, is certainly not my normal operation; don't do much formatting, extracting, or disk killing for that matter. Is this complicated, to keep people from erasing the hard drive by accident? Seems a complicated way to do it; or is it just the nature of creating a bootable file, and distributing it. Maybe because it is free? Are there any instructions anywhere for this? Seems like the days before Windows you just had a simple Dos command like C : Format, and you were good to go. No such luck these days I guess? Glad I am not doing this for a living, I would go broke for sure. If I have to spend another day learning how to boot mode a burn; I may have the whole week done here. Crazy. I know ya don't make the rules, tell me what ya can . Will anything I have work, or do I need to learn another program like IMGBURN? Thanks Willy!

Collapse -
Yes you have to use a program like IMAGBURN.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 7:31 AM PST

The programme is easy to use just put a disc in and browse to your iso file and hit burn.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
I'll give that a shot
by tiltmonster / February 9, 2013 8:05 AM PST

How about the USB version of DBAN? Why didn't that work? Not sure what I used to open or extract the ISO, perhaps that is the problem there. Does that need some kind of software, to put the ISO image, into a useable format as well? I will give IMAGBURN a shot tomorrow, burn another CD, and try again. Thanks a lot! I needed the help, more complicated than I thought, as simple as it might be.

KILDISK needed to make a bootable disc as well, obviously, for the system drive to erase; but the software would only make it in DOS mode, which did not seem to boot anything either. The Free version says it will kill the system drive; but I could not get that to work.. Looks like Kildisk was a more familiar EXE. file anyway. I guess it burns the bootdisk for you, but not for Windows. I must have done something wrong there as well.

Collapse -
IMGBURN.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 8:13 AM PST
In reply to: I'll give that a shot

This software will burn it for you. You don't need to extract the iso just make sure you tick burn iso find your file and click burn.
Dafydd

Collapse -
ISO.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 8:20 AM PST
In reply to: IMGBURN.
Collapse -
By default
by Willy / February 9, 2013 12:29 PM PST

By default, you have Cyberlink will pop-up, however you can decline that and select what pgm. will do the burning. You'll find IMGBURN far easier to work and it should by its own merit make a bootable disc from the .ISO file. If you get Imgburn and install it, click on it and then find the .ISO file to burn, that's all there is to it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Created new problem
by tiltmonster / February 9, 2013 10:50 PM PST
In reply to: By default

I figured with the Malware I would at least get the program to work here. Do you have to allow the Ask Jeves bar to load onto your machine also; or am I not doing something right. I got IMGBURN downloaded from C-NET fine, allowed even the coupon trojan, against better judgement. Then chose my USB burner, because my other burner has a raid controller I thought might complicate things. Checked all the settings on the main page(alll looked good) was copying a bootable image to disc. It started filling the buffer, said it was writing a lead in or such, and an hour later was still stuck at 12% no movement on anything. It got hasty and told me to be patient, when I tried to shut it down(showed it got the shut down message in the log) and sat there for 10 more minutes. Locked up my fresh clean machine, and I had to manual force the boot of my computer. I will see if I can do a fresh install, but could do without the trojan. Perhaps I missed something. Any thoughts, I seem to be getting two problems for every one I don't fix. I did not seem to have much trouble with the screens or navigation of IMGBURN; it just did not burn the image for me. I even shut everything down while it burned, scanners and such. Maybe the install did not take. I hope it will uninstall easy. I did a fresh download, of the latest version of DBAN used IMGBURN main screen, chose copy image to disc(first one) then chose the program at the top left using the little icon. DBAN showed up as the image to copy, showed as a bootable ISO image; everything looked good, then off we went to lock up mode. Something is just strange here; it can't be this hard to erase a hard drive on an old machine. Should take minutes not days. What next Willy, any ideas? Sbybot would not update, which is very odd. Ran without finding any Malware. Have not run the rest of the scanners.

Collapse -
Try this...
by Willy / February 10, 2013 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: Created new problem

Well, it does seem you have other issues going on. Since, I'm not there you have to describe as best as possible. You mentioned, "malware" well any form of that isn't going to be good. If that was already a problem prior to anything you stated before, that could be a reason for not being able to boot the CD, maybe. If now its a problem, because you got new s/w and "you" let in, then you have complicated issues and/or all the more to clear out. If you can't update your protection schemes so they have the latest defense and run anyways, it may not report finding anything because it doesn't know about the latest threats. All in all, it gets difficult. CAN you at least burn the s/w on another PC, a friend's or school, etc.?

FYI- I don't install *any* browser toolbars, any! It becomes too easy for issue/problems to arise, so I decline them. Even, if you don't use a browser at any given time, allowing the toolbars may have allowed other unwanted or pests to enter your system. Even if not nasty, they hog resources, etc., they become a load which at times makes operations take longer or appear to hang/freeze. So "Ask Jeeves" , i would decline, and there better be an "uncheck box" in order to continue the install. If not, STOP and delete that pgm. I wouldn't trust it. So, its important to trust sources of pgms or apps to install. I suggest you check out these websites:

http://www.majorgeeks.com
http://www.jumbo.com
http://www.tucows.com
http://www.sourceforge.net
http://filehippo.com

Even, if any of the above seem to give notice of problems, STOP and exit and delete that recent gotten pgm.. Notice, I didn't mention CNET downloads, I find it with all the problems you have now, just get from another source. Alas, you needn't open the .ISO file, you direct your burning s/w to it and select it and then burn, which IMGBURN does quite well. BTW, I re-read your 1st post, WHY is the dead CD drive still attached, remove or disconnect entirely. make sure the DVD drive is 1st on cable or primary drive. That may cause a slow response to burn. On top of all this, you never supplied details of your PC brand or type. 10yr. PC, it is very probable that the PC doesn't allow USB boot-up, but for now I can'rt asset that.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Created new problem.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: Try this...

Sound advice from Willy. In the nine previous posts I see no mention of malware. Do you know what this malware is and where it came from? It's time to deal with this before you go on to installing DBaN.

Please post more details as Willy said to narrow things down.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Re: malware
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: Created new problem.

That's a senseless advice, since DBAN isn't installed. It doesn't even notice there is malware on the disk. All it does (when you run it from a bootable disk) is erase the drive. And - if as the OP seems to have - there is a problem to burn that .iso file to a disk, it can be done on any other PC.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Malware.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: Re: malware

So you are saying Kees that malware couldn't stop a properly burnt live DBAN disc from installing?

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Addendum.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Malware.

I meant running not installing.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
(NT) Then that's what I said.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: Addendum.
Collapse -
I didn't say that.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 2:16 AM PST

I said that DBAN isn't installed in Windows at all. It's already installed on the disk and runs from there.

Kees

Collapse -
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: I didn't say that.

So the problem is the OP hasn't got a live disc to run on his machine?

Dafydd.

Collapse -
If I read his last post well ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 2:33 AM PST

I read that he couldn't burn the disk. That's why I noticed it can be burned on any other PC.

Kees

Collapse -
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 2:40 AM PST

Right I'm with you now Kees, he needs to use a different computer.
Very confusing post isn't it.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Yes
by tiltmonster / February 10, 2013 6:12 AM PST

Not yet. There are a few tangents with the old machine complicating things. First tangent, the OP has never erased a hard drive before, yet owned a computer since the DOS days. Imagine that. Second tangent, is an old computer with some limitations. I just want to erase the drive; but it got more fun. Since a computer is a cascade of sequences; one problem creates 2 more. Read above, I think you will all follow better.

Collapse -
Don't let me confuse you
by tiltmonster / February 10, 2013 6:00 AM PST

The DBAN bootdisc is not going to run on my download machine, used here and getting malware on it. Once the dban bootdisc is created, it will run on the old target machine, to wipe that drive. I have to get a good image burned first, because the USB method I tried on old machine, is likely not bootable on the target machine as Willy said. I suppose malware could interfere with creating the boot image disc. It already did, since the IMAGBURN went bust twice and caused a manual reboot of my download computer. The old target computer is not even on-line. I am preparing the boot-disc with my current computer that replaced the old one, about 2.5 years ago. Then use the created bootdisk to wipe the old drive, so I can use it someplace else. Sorry for any confusion. Probably my fault, once I have been at this a while.

Collapse -
Very little chance of existing malware(almost zero)
by tiltmonster / February 10, 2013 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: Created new problem.

Until now.
I identified most of the Malware that came down with IMAGEBURN. Removed it best I could. The two main items were the MIXIDJ trojan Jacker; which by the way I unchecked from the instal box. 100 PERCENT SURE. It loaded anyway. The Iminet program that instals emoticons removed after a restart, using Win add/remove. No mention of that I saw, unless buried deep in the legal clause. Price Gong, may be the coupon related spyware they do warn about (Required for download) Defender got that. I broke some rules, to get the free-ware. letting my primary virus protection down. I just did not expect such a hit. I was jacked, redirected, got crap-wear, toolbar, and spyware. Who knows what else. I removed the IMAGBURN as well; and virus protection picked up on it as malware from the place it was deleted to; and quaranteened it. It was all pretty aggressive; though moderate difficulty removing. Took some time. Hope it did not screw anything up in my registry, or system files. Will run all my scanners again soon. The Malware came from the C-NET Download page for IMAGEBURN. If you type IMAGBURN DOWNLOAD into your search engine; about 2-3 items down, is the cnet download page. Cnet banner and familiar headings. There are warnings by others I read, I just did not take them as serious as I should have. Trusted the Cnet link. I guess I felt lucky, figured the sight I got tech from; would be more secure. At worst I figured it would be an easy to remove add-on, or program; got a bit more. Total crap-ware package for sure. MixiDj I think, listed as moderate threat. Been a long time since I downloaded anything I was aware of; must have known I had a clean factory recovered machine laying in wait.

Collapse -
Dban.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 6:07 AM PST

Oh dear you have been a naughty boy!
Where did you download imgburn from. It should have been http://www.imgburn.com/
I've checked the site and its clean.

Back to basics, in your last post you almost made the cd from the iso you mit want to try it on another computer.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: Dban.

Just read your prior post. Yes that's the way to go, use the link I gave in previous post to download the iso.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

Should have been download imgburn

Dafydd.

Collapse -
This link, this page, this button
by tiltmonster / February 10, 2013 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: Dban.
Collapse -
imgburn.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 7:37 AM PST

I checked the cnet link you clicked on and it take you to softwareinformer.com.
Having researched that site it seems dodgy. The link I gave is the direct download for
imgburn. I have downloaded from ther with no problems.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Redirect?
by tiltmonster / February 11, 2013 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: imgburn.

I probably need to read the CNET mission statement, or profile. Are you saying these download pages, are randomly created by users who post them; or the sight page was maliciously redirected? I guess I was thinking some form of staff, or moderator generated these download links. I presume they must be user generated, by your response. There must be a simple was to save and generate a shared download link then, by users? Using a default CNET page generation. No Genie behind a desk.

Collapse -
Redirect.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 11, 2013 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: Redirect?

Nothing malicious, my point was it's always better to download directly rather than using a mirror site.

On the Cnet download page under the big download button there is an option to do this. How is the disc erasure going?

Dafydd.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.