Storage forum

DBAN questions, is this an error?

by bthlp / August 21, 2013 3:30 PM PDT

Ok so I was wiping 2 drives on 2 different computers

Both 7 passes, I have another 3-4 hard drives I have to do

My question is what if I were to do 1 pass SEVEN times, will that be considered "7 passes"?! What if I were to do TWO 3 passes, would that equal 6 passes?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DBAN questions, is this an error?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DBAN questions, is this an error?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's great math.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 21, 2013 4:53 PM PDT

I don't see any error.

Collapse -
I've never used more than one pass.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2013 3:24 AM PDT

Even a single pass is more than sufficient unless you have access to a billion dollar forensics lab.

Why so many?

Collapse -
1 pass is enough
by Willy / August 22, 2013 8:18 AM PDT

I have always done 1 pass and it did the job. On top of that repeated passes on large HDs do take time. The military(DoD) spec is 5 passes, FYI. There maybe others suggesting more, but intense 1/0 writing can tax a HD so be careful, you may actually break the HD under intense usage.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by bthlp / August 22, 2013 1:54 PM PDT
In reply to: 1 pass is enough

thanks for the reply guys, I let it finish and it said

Did it actually finish or did it fail? what does the error mean?

Dban succeeded
All selected disks have been wiped.

-pass scsi disks 465gb
-error /dev/sda (pocess crash)

press any key to continue

then it goes to that usual red and white page

Collapse -
Ahh, that issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2013 3:26 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks
Collapse -
I can't recall this happening recently
by Willy / August 23, 2013 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

If I remember right, I've always done DBAN on 1-HD installed in the system. Disconnect all others and if this is the actual 2nd HD, make solo as if only on port 1, etc.. Doing so, helps defeat the error popping-up but I urge trying this before trying anything else. Plus, the error probably is more of a procedural one than a h/w fault.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.