Cameras forum

General discussion

Date and Time stamp

by Kaleo / March 10, 2005 5:00 AM PST

I'm looking for a point and shoot digital camera that has both the time and the full date stamp feature. I've seen some cameras that have either one but not both. I've searched in the specs pages, but none list this feature. At this time, price is not a concern.

Appreciate any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Date and Time stamp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Date and Time stamp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Date and Time
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 10, 2005 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: Date and Time stamp

This was a big feature on some film cameras but has made little headway on digital cameras.

Even on film cameras, most would only print date or time, not both. There may have been some that did both.

Digital cameras include date and time within each picture file and it is called EXIF information. The EXIF also includes such info as camera, f-stop, shutter speed, focal length, etc. The camera makers probably feel that is sufficient.

As you stated some digital cameras will print the date on the photos, I have not seen one that will print the time. I have used the Konica Minolta Z2 and it can print the Date - but not the time.

Few digital cameras can print the date.

The ability to print dates is never included in the specifications. You have to dig through the owners manuals to find it.

Maybe someone on this forum will know of a particular camera that can print date and time.

Collapse -
It would serve little purpose since the info is in the image
by Kiddpeat / March 10, 2005 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: Date and Time

file for anyone who wants to know. Digital photos are easily altered. Therefore, the date & time can always be added to the picture. It could also be removed or changed. Thus, its inclusion has little value other than getting people upset by having it uninvited on the image.

Collapse -
Except for security work
by Kaleo / March 11, 2005 2:19 AM PST

Alterations is precisely the reason why I ask. I should have mentioned that I'm researching especially for Security officers to use to document related matters that would stand up in court.

Collapse -
That answer is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2005 3:57 AM PST

You print the photo, have it signed and dated and put into the evidence chain.

Bob

Collapse -
That was my point. The image itself is easily altered.
by Kiddpeat / March 11, 2005 7:11 AM PST

The info within the image (EXIF) is not. I don't know any programs that change that info. There is no legitimate need to do so. Of course, any digital file can be altered if you are really determined. It's not usually very easy though.

Collapse -
Altering EXIF Files
by AlSoto18 / July 3, 2011 3:17 AM PDT

There IS a way to alter the EXIF info on the pictures. I have done it myself. It is called EXIF Changer. It CAN be done quite easily.

Collapse -
Date and Time stamp
by Xcdertyhuyi / November 29, 2012 12:16 PM PST
In reply to: Date and Time

a long time between threads?
I have found 2 cameras that stamp the time and the date onto the image at the time of taking the picture,

the cheaper canons do - I also have an expensive one an it doesn't unfortunately and the other camera is the BENQ, I need this facility on construction projects for recording, any data that comes along with the image is nice like (EXIF) but ultimately useless, and any camera that allows you to do this manually on the camera on in software on the computer is also ultimately useless to me.

Collapse -
Is there a question here?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 1:33 AM PST

You write you found 2 cameras so it appears you have your solution. If not, try a new post.
Bob

Collapse -
Re Date and Time stamp
by wetterfugal / March 11, 2005 2:39 AM PST

I would have thought that most Digital Cameras record the date and time of shooting the image. I have a Cannon G3 PowerShot, it records 16/02/05 01:21:51as you can see, down to the last second.

Look for Exif in the camera specs. This format will display about 22 items, speed, apature, size, if flash used and about eighteen other items.

You will need photo editing software to read it but the infomation is embedded in the file. do Google on Exif for more info.

Collapse -
I Found 2 Digital Cameras for Time and Date
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 11, 2005 9:20 AM PST

The new Canon A510 and A520 can print date and time on the photo.

It only works in what they call postcard mode:
1600 x 1200

The date and time are embedded into the photo.
And will be printed each time the photofile is printed.

Here is a review of the A520:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/a520.html

Collapse -
Thanks
by Kaleo / March 15, 2005 4:10 AM PST

Thanks everyone for your postings, especially snapshot2. I'll further explore those Canons.

Aloha from Maui!

Collapse -
Time and date stamp
by Xcdertyhuyi / August 14, 2012 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

The time and date stamp is also important for construction related photos, all the other information that comes along with the file is completely irrevelant And editable when the camera automatically puts this info onto the image it can not be removed easily without the editing being visible. All cameras should have the feature as standard?

Collapse -
Sadly could be faked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2012 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Time and date stamp
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.