Computer Help forum

Question

data recovery software

by samela101 / January 4, 2013 6:40 AM PST

Any suggestions on some data recovery software? My hard drive stopped working overnight, after 2-3 years, I have most of the data backed up but not all. Sometimes it appears in windows explorer but will not allow me to repair or access the files so I can copy them.

I've have knoppix but was not sure what software to use once I booted into it. When I try to mount the drive it says unable to mount.

I've tried spinrite but get an overflow error

More about it:
Seagate External Sata drive 1.5 TB
I took it out of the case and if needed I can plug it into my desktop and copy over the files that way, no usb needed

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: data recovery software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: data recovery software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Knoppix is usually good enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: data recovery software

But you write it stopped working. As in spinning? If so, I've yet to find a software to deal with that. We send it off to drivesavers.com

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
sounds like the drive is faulty
by Droid / January 4, 2013 5:27 PM PST

Recovery software is worthwhile if the drive is working properly but corrupted. If the drive is physically faulty then recovery software may not help much.
Anyway I recommend Piriform's Recuva. (http://www.piriform.com/recuva/features). It pulled back 45G of photos & videos from a corrupted drive for me Happy
Incidentally, this is a scary thing to try but.. if your drive won't mount and recovery software won't touch it, you can sometimes get a recovery to work by formatting the drive first. Again, not much point if the drive is faulty.

Collapse -
Answer
Trouble with Knoppix
by richteral / January 5, 2013 6:10 PM PST
Collapse -
next step format?
by samela101 / January 12, 2013 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: Trouble with Knoppix

The drive does still power on and spin and even shows up in explorer. I tried Recuva, it saw the drive, but after 30 minutes it never got passed 0% completed. Do I need to try longer? I didn't want to stress the drive for nothing. I also mentioned in the original post that I had knoppix, was able to boot to it, but when clicking on drive it said unable to mount. I wasn't sure if there was default software within knoppix that I could use similar to recuva.

<div>The files arent important enough to spend money on.

My next step is to format unless there's something else I should try?
</div>
Then I'll try recuva again

Thanks for the help everybody

Collapse -
No formatting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2013 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: next step format?
Collapse -
Answer
Data recovery software
by Ezzie123 / January 15, 2013 3:24 PM PST

First of all you need to check if the Hard Drive got corrupted or is it damaged.If it is a damaged one data recovery software will not help.Check if your Hard disk is bad
Run the command prompt (with administrator privileges in Vista) and input the following command:

chkdsk x: /f /r

where "x" is the drive letter you want to scan (start with c). It may tell you to restart before it can scan. If windows does not find bad sectors it will attempt to move the data to another location. If it finds bad sectors, then your hard drive is (obviously) bad .

and if it is just corrupted use Recuva

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.