Laptops forum

General discussion

Dark spot on laptop screen

by oregoncountry / July 14, 2011 12:00 AM PDT

my laptop screen has a dark, black with sort of purple outline around it. I bought this second hand(Dell Studio, Vista SP 2)and it had what looked like water under the screen on a small spot on right. Even as I am typing this the size of the dark spot is now shrinking. I figure it is just the screen going bad and probably no fix for it. If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any at all as they say:)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dark spot on laptop screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dark spot on laptop screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reads like a bruised LCD panel.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2011 3:07 AM PDT

If it works, the cost may be more than some will pay. If you google YOUTUBE LAPTOP LCD REPLACEMENT you find not only examples of how to change it but sellers of said panels.
Bob

Collapse -
thank RP
by oregoncountry / July 14, 2011 4:31 AM PDT

I will just use it til it doesn't work anymore. Can't afford to buy anything to fix and not a new laptop for sure:) Thanks for your input, Denise

Collapse -
May be easier than you think
by scurvychef / July 17, 2011 4:06 PM PDT

A new(used) screen can be bought for 80 dollars or so. cheaper if you stalk ebay enough. you'd be surprised how easy they are to change out too. tons of videos on how to swap out the screens on youtube as well. I am definatley a novice comp repair man but I wouldn't have an interest if I didn't give it a shot on my Dell E1505. It is 5 yrs old and has had several parts put in now. saved me Hundreds of dollars in the end and your laptop isn't even that old! Wink

Collapse -
replace
by quyduy1992 / July 19, 2011 11:45 AM PDT

Replace your laptop LCD is the best solution

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.