Samsung

Alert

Dark smudges that won't go away.

by mknlb50 / November 7, 2012 4:34 AM PST

Hi, I have had this issue ever since I first bought this TV last year (Nov 25th, 2011). I was hoping that it would go away but apparently it's just getting worse after time. So, I called Samsung up and this is how it went:

(October 24th 2012) The first service center (Hi Def Doctor) representative came over to see my problem, he told me that he was going to order in the new panel. 2 weeks later, repair ticket was cancelled without any notice and Hi Def Doc failed to pick up phone calls whenever I called throughout the whole week.

Okay.

(Nov 6th, 2012)Called Samsung up to switch my service center to USSI. USSI called, told me to e-mail the problem. I did. Now they're saying today (Nov 7th, 2012) they can't help me with this, I need to call Samsung.

Okay.

I called Samsung today (Nov 7th 2012), now they're telling me that this dark smudge is "image retention" and is not covered by the warranty. Which is absolutely not true. Dark smudge is not created by the same way an image retention is created. At this point, it's obvious that Samsung is just trying to save the cost by dragging this thing long enough until my warranty expires.

What else can I do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dark smudges that won't go away.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dark smudges that won't go away.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Dark smudges that won't go away
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 7, 2012 4:50 AM PST

Hi mknlb50,

I apologize for your experience thus far. If you could post your transaction number, I'd like to see if we can investigate this issue for you.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Repair ticket numbers
by mknlb50 / November 7, 2012 4:52 AM PST

The first repair ticket # with Hi-Def Doctor is 4116712748
The second repair ticket # with USSI is 4116851366

Collapse -
Re: Repair ticket numbers
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 7, 2012 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Repair ticket numbers

Hi mknlb50,

I checked those tickets, and I see that you're currently set up for a service center to come out and inspect your unit. So the service center should be contacting you within a few days.

HD Tech

Collapse -
serv
by mknlb50 / November 7, 2012 5:35 AM PST

Which service center?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 7, 2012 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: serv

Hi mknlb50,

I understand it's supposed to be USSI based upon the information I saw.

HD Tech

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 7, 2012 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: serv

Pardon me. I checked my information again because I was making some notes about this issue, and I saw it's been put in service dispatch, which means it's not assigned to a particular service center right now, but they're actively looking for one to assign your issue to.

HD Tech

Collapse -
ticket number
by mknlb50 / November 8, 2012 3:52 AM PST

And what is the ticket number for that?

Collapse -
More info. on dark smudges
by mknlb50 / November 7, 2012 4:50 AM PST

The bright "clouds" on dark screens and dark "smudges" on light screens are caused by uneven thickness of the actual panel surface. Its a manufacturing problem. The smallest change in thickness in either direction will cause the screen to appear darker or lighter in that spot.

Collapse -
Update: (11-13-2012)
by mknlb50 / November 13, 2012 7:23 AM PST

Update: (11-13-2012) Still haven't gotten my tv serviced.

Collapse -
Re: Update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 14, 2012 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Update: (11-13-2012)

Hi mknlb50, I'll be tracking the progress with the repair company. Thanks for the update. -- HD Tech

Collapse -
Poor Service
by mknlb50 / November 21, 2012 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Update

Exchange request was rejected and my TV still hasn't been fixed yet after 1 month of all this.

Collapse -
Question
by Pepe7 / November 21, 2012 12:42 AM PST
In reply to: Poor Service

Where did you first hear/read of the 'dark clouds/smudges' manufacturing/panel defect? That particular problem is unknown to me. Just curious.

Hopefully they can still fix your HDTV.

Collapse -
avsforum
by mknlb50 / November 21, 2012 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: Question

avsforum. From what I've read, it's pretty common among edge lit led tvs. It's just damn funny when they tried to make it sound like it's my fault when it's a manufacturing issue.

Collapse -
Would you mind sharing a link to a thread there?
by Pepe7 / November 21, 2012 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: avsforum

I need to share it with someone this weekend who's HDTV shopping. They somehow got it into their thick skull that LED technology is 'bulletproof' <ahem>.

Thanks,
P

Collapse -
Shameful
by mknlb50 / November 21, 2012 8:23 PM PST

Just google "Samsung LED Clouding" Mine is produced by the same manufacturing mechanism just on the opposite end. You'll be surprised just how common this issue is.

Collapse -
November 26th, 2012
by mknlb50 / November 26, 2012 4:27 AM PST

November 26th, 2012. Still hasn't been fixed.

Collapse -
November 28th, 2012
by mknlb50 / November 28, 2012 10:54 AM PST

November 28th, 2012. Still not fixed.

Collapse -
WARNING
by mknlb50 / November 28, 2012 11:00 AM PST

WARNING TO THOSE WHO BUY SAMSUNG TVS IN NORTHERN FLORIDA REGION.

Samsung chose a service center (High Def Doctor) that employees 1 secretary and 1 technician for our whole region. You will be VERY lucky if you get serviced. Also, the so-called executives of customer service don't know what to do either. And they refuse to transfer me to someone who can actually be of real help.

I will post on here daily to update the status of this repair just for record.

Collapse -
Status of the refund
by mknlb50 / November 28, 2012 11:11 AM PST

I also opened a ticket for a refund with another customer rep after Rosa (another customer rep) hastily put in a ticket for an exchange. I do not want to have anything to do with Samsung anymore in the near future. I will check for the status of my refund ticket tomorrow and report back.

Collapse -
Re: Status of the refund
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 28, 2012 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: Status of the refund

Hi mknlb50,

I've responded to your complaint by email. Please check that for more information.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.