Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dark Shadows under Desktop icons

by pbruns / March 9, 2007 4:46 AM PST

hi, almost a day after i installed windows XP Home there have been Dark Shadows under my Desktop icons.. at first the icons looked normal, now there is a very very harsh black drop shadow under the label text of the icons ...

I tried rolling back and updating my video card neither had any effect
I tried turning off the shadow (user performance in properties of my computer) that took the shadow off and put a blue background under the icon text. When I turned it back on, same problem.

Any ideas ?

Details:

Windows XP Home - up to date
IBM R51 Thinkpad Laptop
ATI Mobility Redenon 9000 video card

thanks a lot

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dark Shadows under Desktop icons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dark Shadows under Desktop icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"almost a day after i installed windows XP Home"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2007 4:52 AM PST

That may be the clue. I would have used the restore CDs from IBM or Lenovo to avoid the pain of the driver hunt. TWEAKUI notes about some drop shadow that is how XP attained this trick but I have no do this cure for you save to retrace your drivers that you installed after the use of a retail version of XP Home since all it takes is one missing an weird things like this happen.

Bob

Collapse -
May be anti-aliasing
by jackson dougless / March 9, 2007 5:14 AM PST

While I can't see exactly what you're looking at, I can say that the ClearType method of anti-aliasing fonts in XP tends to create a rather pronounced shadow under icon text. I like it myself, but you can change the anti-aliasing (or font smoothing as MS calls it) method if you like. Since ClearType was intended specifically to improve readability on laptops and other LCDs, you may find the alternative even worse.

One thing I find handy to do, is to resize my task bar so that it's double the normal size. Then I move the quicklaunch toolbar above the task bar buttons for different folders and programs. Then anything I might normally put on the desktop, goes on the quicklaunch toolbar, and I rarely ever see the desktop. I know screen real estate can be at a premium on laptops, so you'll have to decide which setup is least annoying to you.

Collapse -
Had it clear type originally and got dark shadows same way
by darclew7 / March 9, 2007 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: May be anti-aliasing

WINXP Home Edition 2002. So, I looked at my choices. used standard instead of glass, and the three boxes below it, I unchecked.
Now it is okay as white even on the sky though it is hard to see but I know what each Icon is. On the sky it "appears" to be glass looking. Darrell L. PS-have a new email address, info in my profile.

Collapse -
Re: Dark Shadows under Desktop icons-Probable Fix
by Tufenuf / March 9, 2007 8:46 AM PST
Collapse -
dark shadows under desktop icons- windows XP
by akbarbasha80 / June 16, 2008 5:41 PM PDT

I followed all steps provided in almost all the forums but nothing worked. i have two users account in one user account there isnt any issue but with other account i have the shade on all desktop icons. After failing in fixing the issue even after trying all possible steps provided i finally changed the registry keys (under HKCU>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrenetVersion>Policies) according to my other user account becuase that user account doesnt have a problem & added all the keys.But that tooo failed. Finally i went to system properties>advanced>perfomance settings>Visual Effects> and selected Let windows choose what's best for my computer>apply & OK.

FIX:
Go to system properties>advanced>perfomance settings>Visual Effects> and selected Let windows choose what's best for my computer>apply & Ok.
Note: If your PC has Less amount of RAM & Low Processor speed select the option Adjust for better apperance but this will slow down the performance of your pc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.