Phones forum

damaged phone data recovery

by dirt72801 / December 4, 2012 4:17 AM PST

I have an HTC inspire that got wet. It will power up and go to the home screen, but will not let me go past that screen. I am not sure if the screen isn't responding or if something inside is fried. What I am wanting to do is send my phone to someone who can pull the data off of the phone's internal memory. I believe my SMS messages are all stored on the internal memory. Any other info that could be pulled off would be good as well. I am having a difficult time finding the right people to send it to. Most are telling me between $250 to $1700 dollars. The information isn't worht that much to me and was wondering if anybody knows who could help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: damaged phone data recovery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: damaged phone data recovery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
You should have your phone in a bowl of rice right now
by Pepe7 / December 4, 2012 4:31 AM PST

If that's been done already, use a mini-USB cable and see if your PC will still recognize the phone as a storage device. If the phone boots but merely doesn't display the internals may still be accessible via your PC, etc. I can do this w/ my older HTC models. Drag and drop files as you need to. Using google you can find other instances of how folks have done this. Also ask at for more details on recovery services if you get to that point ($$).

SMS will likely be a bit trickier. You may have to have a rooted device in order to be able to access the part of the file structure where they are stored. Sites like XDA developers forum can assist you in doing this. But there are also programs such as SMS backup & restore that you might also try. Look in the Android forum for info on this one.

Collapse -
data recovery
by dirt72801 / December 11, 2012 4:04 AM PST

I did turn the phone off and used a hand dryer to try and dry the phone out. I let it sit overnight. It will power up and go to the home screen. The screen will not react to the touch of my finger as if the screen has been damaged electronically. The text messages are supposed to be saved in the phones internal memory and that is what I am trying to get at. I have plugged the phone up to my computer and it doesn't recognize it. The SIM card and SD card have been removed and are being used in my new phone. I contacted some forensic data recovery places, but they all want from 250 to 1700 dollars and it isn't worth that much to me. I had hoped there would be some better service out there that someone else knew about. I had even considered having a new screen put on it to see if that helped. There is no physical damage to the screen or the phone.

Collapse -
No such thing as a 'better service'
by Pepe7 / December 11, 2012 2:27 PM PST
In reply to: data recovery

What you want is cheap and that doesn't exist when phone damage is extensive and it requires data recovery. Based on those quotes, you have learned that professional data recovery mostly certainly is anything but cheap.

Did you ask at the Verizon/ATT/T-Mobile store about CELLBRITE yet? Maybe that's still an option.

Collapse -
Another way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 4:57 AM PST

Is the machine at the usual cell phone service counters they use to transfer contents. Google CELLEBRITE to see the machines in question.

Collapse -
Good point(!) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / December 4, 2012 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: Another way.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.