Samsung

Rant

D8000 Internet browser cant play youtube

by pcparj / January 21, 2013 3:18 AM PST

I have a 55D8000 model and when I use the browser and go to youtube and play any videos the sound wont work. When I try other sites like dailymotion everything plays fine and I can hear sound. Whats the problem with youtube. Also whats wrong with the youtube app on the smart tv hub, any and most videos I want to play seem to be blocked or missing, yet my other LG tv which has a similar app has all the videos and nothing is blocked. I would understand if there were videos that were blocked for my region but the fact that the LG can play them from a similar app on the same Internet connection (IP geo loaction) means that the app is just stupid. Please could someone hep me with these issues as I want to be able to enjoy my TV with sound and music and watch youtube. (when I mean blocked I dont mean by parental controls I mean via blocked region videos)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: D8000 Internet browser cant play youtube
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: D8000 Internet browser cant play youtube
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The browser is limited.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 3:34 AM PST

There are limitations to the browser which the web site has to deal with or lose the Smart TV market. Here's more about these limitations -> http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-571556/wh-samsung-smart-tv-web-browser-closed-uneexpectedly/?messageId=5354305&tag=rb_content;forums06#message5354305

I think you are asking for a Windows PC web experience. Sadly, as you discovered, that's not possible.

As to the YouTube app, I found that Google writes that so any bug or limitation there is by Google and not the TV maker.
Bob

Collapse -
LG browser
by pcparj / January 21, 2013 4:40 AM PST

But I dont see how the browser from LG works like theres nothing wrong and also their Youtube app. So Google cant only be limiting Samsung.

Collapse -
Apples and oranges.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: LG browser

They could have used a web kit or browser with more capabilities.

About the YouTube issue. I went and tested a few YouTube versions and found Google all over the map on their app. A bug we see in the Samsung version is not in my Google Nexus 7. You can draw any conclusion you want from that but for me it appears to be an intentional issue by google. Why should they give their best version to others that compete in the market?
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Read this link for a recent finding.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 5:06 AM PST
Collapse -
What!!
by pcparj / January 21, 2013 5:58 AM PST

What a crap TV. How can my LG which was half the price be better than the Samsung top of the range one. Samsung you really need to make some changes and update your firmware and applications. With all the tie in's you have with Google I would have thought you would have better intergration not worse than other competitors.

Collapse -
The TV part looks fine here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: What!!

Google seems to not be a great partner. Example? Google Maps fiasco with Apple. Apple wanted turn by turn and Google didn't want to give Apple that. The rest is history and in the news.

At times you wonder why they bothered with Google at all.
Bob

Collapse -
Seriously considering
by pcparj / January 21, 2013 6:17 AM PST

Seriously considering going back to Future shop and asking for a refund, this TV is not fit for purpose if the most widely used website and app dont function properly.

Collapse -
Do you remember the Acid Web Page tests?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: Seriously considering

In case we didn't cover it, this is not a PC. It's a TV with a web kit (yup, that's a software title) based web browser. Because the device has limited memory and CPU the maker did what they could but let's skip all the rhetoric, third party apps and excuses. Ready?

Folk want a web browser on par with what they get on a PC. They want to go to say Yahoo and see the videos there. If you can't do that, you may be seeing some returns.
Bob

Collapse -
Yea and
by pcparj / January 21, 2013 6:45 AM PST

Yea you did cover it but its the same as what the LG's and Sony's have too, they dont have a laptop mounted on the back, but they work. Other sites work with video and sound so why cant they fix the youtube site, it only has video. I baught the TV so I could listen to music on the web on my home theatre and the fact I was told I could do this and it would work. I dont want a PC experience I want a web browser experience. I can hook up an old laptop to it and get it running but why should I have to, its built in. Samsung need to stated limited web browser on thier advertising as this is not acceptable. I only use that web browser for 1 site and that is it.
I wish I had known this before, I would not have got this TV, there are plenty of good alternatives.

Collapse -
The bar is set so high.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: Yea and

And if a PC didn't display a web page then folk would not have such an expectation. Let's not lose sight of where the bar is being set. I'm sure I can find web sites that don't work on the other makers too so with that out of the way...

I had to install Flash and a FireFox Beta Browser on my Google Nexus 7 just last month to get Yahoo.com to fly straight. Even the Google boys missed the mark.
Bob

Collapse -
Your right!
by pcparj / January 21, 2013 7:37 AM PST

Your right bud, but without the people asking for change and updates there wouldnt be anything. I want them to be innovative and change when things go wrong. I dont want them to sell things to me that are sub par. I want them to fix this issue.

Collapse -
Look at the past performances.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 7:46 AM PST
In reply to: Your right!

So far they are behaving just like an appliance maker. If you can't find the feature in the manual, it does not appear to be added later.

I've been as gently as I can so far. I didn't want to spell it out for you but it appears you think they will be upgrading the browser after the model hit the showroom floor.

I really want to be proven wrong here.
Bob

Collapse -
What
by pcparj / January 21, 2013 8:13 AM PST

Yea they have the feature in the manual thats my problem. I know you dont want to spell it out for me but isnt the software update something that is similar along the D Series, something that would update the apps. Im not asking for updates that other TV makers dont already provide.

Collapse -
D8000 Internet browser cant play youtube, dailymotion
by alplamir / January 24, 2013 7:07 PM PST

Me too having the same problem but for me one step ahead that even dailymotion is not working.
I contacted samsung but they give the same usual message that "this has been raised to technical team to resolve and they will be in touch within short period".
But still now no one from samsung contacted me regarding this issue.
Is there any way to contact technical team of samsung, please advice

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.