Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

D:\ (partition) doesn't show up in "My Computer"\Explorer

by OloRin / October 31, 2003 1:42 AM PST

Hi all,

First I am new to XP but not new to computers.

I got a new-ish thinkpad with two partitions on it's drive. The c:\ primary one was NTFS, there was another for SERVICE which was FAT32. I promptly proceeded to using PartitionMagic to break up my huge c:\ partition into 3 partitions (all primary - now I have 4 primary partitions, 4th being the SERVICE fat32 one), the first 3 being NTFS.

Went into Administration Tools, Disk Management and assigned the letters sequentially for D:\ and E:\ (and hid the SERVICE fat32 partition). Everything looks good.

Except that whenever I open explorer/my computer, in local drives it doesn't list the D:\ partition - Not a conflict with the CD drive as that's been assigned H:\ and it does show up.

I can type d:\ in the explorer bar and it opens up but otherwise I don't see that icon listed! It's making me wild!! I checked Explorer-Tools-Folder options and Hide hidden folders is not set. PartitionMagic doesn't say that my d:\ partition is hidden or anything.

It's driving me wild!! Sad

I am hoping for some help here...

Thanks...
ps. I wonder how many folks are turned off by the subject title into thinking that this is another problem with somebody who installed second hard drive... Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: D:\ (partition) doesn't show up in "My Computer"\Explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: D:\ (partition) doesn't show up in "My Computer"\Explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:D:\ (partition) doesn't show up in... Try TWEAKUI
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2003 1:54 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:D:\ (partition) doesn't show up in... Try TWEAKUI
by OloRin / October 31, 2003 2:18 AM PST

Thanks for the tip. Those powertoys look good...

However, it didn't work. On checking inside tweakui, in the Drives section, all the drive letter names were checked. Saved it again and tried. Still no d:\ showing up...

Collapse -
Re:Re:D:\ (partition) doesn't show up in... Try TWEAKUI
by David Chan / October 31, 2003 2:55 AM PST

You said you've used Partition Magic to create these new partitions.

Have you try and view them in Partition Magic to see if the partitions have been formatted?

Or boot into the Recovery Consolse and check if they are shown.

Collapse -
Re:D:\ (partition) doesn't show up in...
by OloRin / October 31, 2003 3:06 AM PST

PartitionMagic doesn't show any problems with the D:\ partition.

And there are no problems with accessing it either. All I have to do is type d:\ in the address bar within explorer and I am there. Created a couple of text files there and that works too.

It just doesn't show up as a local drive in My Computer or Explorer! Once I've done the address-bar thing above, I see it added as Local Disk (D: ) on the explorer but not before that.

It's like some setting for Explorer prevents it from showing up initially!

Collapse -
Use the native tools to create and format it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2003 4:31 AM PST

You may have tripped over yet another Partition Magic anomaly. You might get to call them.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanx V much
by memo_9000 / December 4, 2007 12:59 AM PST

I used tweakui and it solved my problem. Really thanx

Collapse -
DO NOT FORMAT THE SERVICE DRIVE!!!
by fjord_fox / December 4, 2007 2:35 AM PST

The drive that is called "Service" most likely contains your recovery programs that ARE needed to restore your computer back to the way it was when you bought it--fresh out of the box. They do not give out CDs anymore like they should, because all the computer companies found that they can do it this way and nobody complains like we should.

With this system, it ONLY works when you CAN get Windows started, for you have to look for the special Start Menu folder and start the recovery program from there. For example, if your computer is an HP, then you have to look for the special folder for HP and then look for some kind of Recovery program. What happens when Windows doesn't start? (and why should we customers be complaining?) Well then, there is no way that you can access that partition to get the recovery program to work!

In addition, many of the companies set it up so the recovery will COMPLETELY wipe out your hard drive -- partitions and all -- and restore it to EXACTLY the way it was when you purchased it, so if you have done like I have and created a second (or third or more) partition then you had better back up ALL of your data before you begin and burn them on DVDs (or a portable hard drive). We should be complaining about that too! It should ONLY wipe out and re-create the C:\ drive, and leave the rest intact.

Open Partition Magic again. I have Acronis Disk Director Suite, which I like better than my old Partition Magic, but maybe Partition Magic (PM) works the same. Is there a way to Hide the partition? Is it hidden? Leave it hidden. It's supposed to be. That's the way most manufacturers set it up. They do that to keep you from accidentally formatting it.

In Disk Director, where it shows a list of drives, the hidden drive is listed in gray and to the side, it says "Hid." Your PM should be the same. If you open PM and look at the hard drive, you will see it, but you will not see it if you open Windows Explorer, or any other program.

If you INSIST on seeing the partition in Windows Explorer and other programs, then use PM to unhide it. If you do do this, though, I would seriously recommend that you have a GOOD backup of that partition, because you MAY just accidentally format that drive. Then you will have to contact your computer manufacturer and see if they will SELL you a set of installation CDs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.