Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

D-Link DIR-655 router - new installation, slow connection

by djr1904 / February 25, 2008 2:05 PM PST

I get around computers pretty well but I'm a wireless networking newbie. And after plenty of research and phone calls to tech support, I'm stumped.

I just bought a new HP Pavilion DV9700T. I also bought the D-Link DIR-655 to connect to my five-year-old custom-built desktop PC. I have cable internet through a Motorola Surfboard modem. So I popped in the CD and ran the setup wizard. Everything seemed to go fine - the wizard detected all my connection, didn't even ask me any questions, and I was good to go. But I noticed right away that my internet connection was significantly slower. Usable, but about 80% slower than normal (I tested it).

So I removed the router from the equation and just hooked up the desktop PC to the cable modem. The internet speed was back to normal.

I reconnected the router and reset it. Updated the firmware. Read the manual, visited online support, and mess with every setting I could think of. Still, the connection was slow. (I should mention at this point that both the desktop PC and Pavilion had similarly slow speeds through the router.)

I confirmed with my cable company that it wasn't a setting on their end that needed adjusting. Then I called D-Link. On the online configuration tool, they had me go under the Setup tab, then to Manual Internet Connection Setup, then entering in the Primary DNS Server box and in the Secondary DNS Server box. (They tried to explain what this meant but I didn't catch it.)

This caused me to lose my internet connection entirely. After a couple more calls to D-Link in which they had me do little else besides cloning my PC's MAC address a couple of times and unplugging/replugging my modem and router, I still had no internet connection. So they told me to return the router for a new one. Then, just for the hell of it, I rebooted and got my internet connection back, although it is still slow.

So what can I do? Is it really defective, or is there something else to adjust? I have read where this router just doesn't work for some people, but I assumed that to mean it didn't work at all. Any advice is great as I would prefer not to send this back if at all possible.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: D-Link DIR-655 router - new installation, slow connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: D-Link DIR-655 router - new installation, slow connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Turn off the wifi.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 12:17 AM PST

Sorry, but a few details are missing in your post so I'll just offer a common fix.

Collapse -
Well sure
by djr1904 / February 26, 2008 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: Turn off the wifi.

I guess that's an option. But it doesn't really solve the problem.

What details am I missing? I'll fill in the blanks if I can.

Collapse -
Such as this wired to that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: Well sure

And is it setup per our forum sticky. Some leave it on open wifi connections or WEP and their network is pirated away by neighbors. Also there are issues with P2P software and speed so I won't be helping on that area here as it's all about the sofware used (not in the posts) as well as how such speed was measured.

Hope there's something that can be done.

Collapse -
Sorry about that
by djr1904 / February 26, 2008 3:17 AM PST

It was late last night and I didn't think to look over forum rules.

I think my router setup is per the forum sticky, if I'm interpreting it correctly. Regardless, I did it exactly as D-Link's setup CD instructed me to. Here it is:

Coaxial cable from wall to cable modem. Ethernet cable from desktop PC to LAN port 1 on the router. Another ethernet cable from "internet" port on router back to cable modem. I would show you a diagram but I can't find one on D-Link's support site.

To answer your other questions:
- I don't think anyone is pirating the connection. I've checked this numerous times.
- I have reset the router many times so the settings are back to default, but I had set it to WPA-2 and secured the connection and it did not help.
- I have the most current firmware for the router.
- As for speed, normally my download speed runs between 5,000-6,000 Kb/s but once the router is connected, that drops to around 1,200 Kb/s on both the wired desktop PC and the wireless notebook. I've measured it through the speed tests at

I think that covers everything from the sticky...let me know if I can provide more information. Thanks.

Collapse -
Since it's all wired...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry about that

Disable the wifi so we're sure. The issue we know of can not be detected with any ease by most owners but setting it up per the forum sticky does cure that issue. For now. Disable it.

If it's still bad, return for some other model.

Collapse -
Could it be possible
by PudgyOne / February 26, 2008 5:10 AM PST

that the firewall or the content filtering is slowing things down. I know he said he's all wired, do disabling the radio will help.

Collapse -
Could be. But it's a dark place we see here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: Could it be possible

No clear feedback on the exact router settings. No exact feedback if they are using some static settings, and so on. I've been slow to ask for this since some take it badly if you pressure them to engage in their discussion. This is not that easy for some to find out the answers to simple questions (for those that setup networks daily) but I try to go with simple things to shut out the more common issues (such as the WIFI hijacking issue.)

Collapse -
I won't take it badly
by djr1904 / February 26, 2008 5:31 AM PST

but there are so many settings in the online configuration and I'm new enough at this that I don't have a good sense of what's important and what isn't, or even what some of these settings do. So ask me what you need to know and I'll do my best to answer.

I've tried to adjust various settings (too many to list) and nothing has caused any improvement. Right now the router has all its default settings because late last night I reset it per instructions from D-Link tech support.

I have Zone Alarm on my desktop PC and Comodo on my notebook and the internet speed through the router is the same on both. I have no indication (via error messages, popups, etc.) that the firewall is the issue.

But I will check those settings and turn off the wi-fi tonight and see if that helps.

Collapse -
Here are simple settings
by PudgyOne / February 26, 2008 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: I won't take it badly

On wireless routers we usually

Update the firmware. Some automatic updates don't work.

Normally we Broadcast SSID

Use WPA security

Use nothing else. Do NOT use Mac addresses. Since you're not using the wireless part, then turn it off.

Check your firewall settings and turn them off. Also turn off any of the filtering devices in the D-Link router.

setup should look like

wall > cable modem/router > D-Link Router > wired/wireless

I don't know if there's some type of filter in the D-Link that will limit usage.

Collapse -
by djr1904 / February 26, 2008 2:11 PM PST

I have tried everything you've suggested, individually and in various combinations.

Firmware is current. Broadcasting in SSID. WPA security. Turned off wi-fi. Adjusted firewall settings. Turned off firewall. Turned on wi-fi but set it to a b/g signal instead of N. Router setup is correct. Made sure no D-Link filters were on, as far as I could tell.

And the results on my wired desktop PC were exactly the same: about 80% lower than normal.

So unless anybody has anything else I should try, my question becomes: is there any way to know whether the DIR-655 router simply won't work with my modem vs. just having a bad router that needs to be replaced and should work fine under normal circumstances?

Collapse -
I'd trie ANY other router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 7:39 PM PST
In reply to: Update

Even my dated di 524 didn't suffer like that. I do not have you model to look over at home, office or lab. I will share I changed the home to a buffalo running OpenWRT because my still nice wpnt-834 would lock up monthly. I'll probably gift that out and find another router (that will run OpenWRT.)

Collapse -
is this problem resolved?
by thecolorCypher / May 18, 2010 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

I was wondering if you managed to resolve this problem?

While I noticed these posts are from 2008, I just purchased the same router... it's doing the exact same thing. I did a firmware upgrade via the router before I started using it, but will attempt a manual download of the latest showing 1/28/2010 (well after this post) after a rest to see if that aids.

Clearly it's frustrating since the modem works fine directly.

As for shutting off the wireless, that's not an option. Even though I prefer a wired network, I still have devices I like to roam around the house and building untethered. I only upgraded my current router for the 10/100/1000

Hope there was a solution.

Collapse -
Yes I solved my lock ups.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2010 6:21 AM PDT

The 834 was gifted and a newer wnr2000 is now running for so long I've forgotten how long it was since the power was lost to it.

Collapse -
D-Link DIR-655 router
by thecolorCypher / May 18, 2010 6:37 AM PDT

I'm sorry, I thought the original problem was the D-Link DIR-655 router. Have you got that one working properly?

Collapse -
When the forum bottoms out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2010 6:41 AM PDT

You have to reply up higher.

As to the 655, unless they try it per this forum's suggestions I doubt it was resolved. I've seen this problem and if the settings we suggest don't work we swap out the router.

I'm unsure why some folk dig it their heels at that suggestion. Very strange.

Collapse -
This forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2010 9:00 PM PDT

Has limits to the depth of the discussion. Make a new post or reply up to for replies. YES I have fixed a few 655s. Either with the settings noted in this forum's sticky or by sending it back for another. I'm unsure why this answer is not acceptable to some. Could you tell why?

Collapse -

I believe I replied to the wrong individual (below) in this discussion, however, my question was whether the problem for the D-Link DIR-655 router has been solved? I too am having the same problems.

While I have not tried manually downloading the latest firmware which appears to be 1/28/2010... well pas thist post date (I will), I just thought I'd ask now (before I get home to test this option out) and since I did not see a resolution or "I got it". Happy

Collapse -
"I have not tried manually downloading the latest firmware
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2010 9:02 PM PDT
In reply to: resolution?

"I have not tried manually downloading the latest firmware"

That is ONE of the items covered in this forum's sticky. And has helped many times. But here's the deal. Why would we not use the ideas and methods that has worked so often? And if we find it doesn't work why would would keep a cranky router?

Collapse -
firmware 1/28/2010

Well, by manually downloading the firmware and manually uploading it to the router, that made some differences.
Technical Support and information

Latest Firmware as of:

Download Type Version Date
[download firmware] Firmware 1.33NA 1/28/2010
Revision Info: ? Fixed: Correct HNAP issue.
? Fixed: DNS relay issue ( WAN Slowdown )
? Added: Advanced DNS descriptions

It was true that the router indicated it had updated the firmware when I first started it up, but did not. I'd go to the first link and verify the most recent version before going with the above version (just in case there is a newer version when you read this).

Additionally, I turned off the N in wireless and the traffic shaping.

Those basic modifications seem to put me at 8mbps(while slow still) not to far under the sold speed of 12mbps.

Hope that helps someone. Happy

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: firmware 1/28/2010

12 is typical of the internet connection speeds. If you get 12 megabits per second from the internet, you're doing great.

Collapse -
12mpbs, hah...
by thecolorCypher / May 19, 2010 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: 12

I've NEVER received anything above 8mbps and that is TOPS.

I just had a conversation with Comcast this morning to vent a little. It's frustrating that no matter where I've lived, I've never gotten what I pay for. And of course, they have no problem taking payment for no or lack of service. Sad I guess I can't complain to much, at least it's fast enough to stream HD movies to my TV. That's the big deal. Then again, if rush hour traffic hits in my building then I'll end up with a butt load of buffers. Sad

Collapse -
8 is great too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: 12mpbs, hah...

That speed is typically all over the map but if there is a lesson about connections over wifi is to get wired if you want the best possible speeds.

Collapse -
wired vs wireless
by thecolorCypher / May 19, 2010 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: 8 is great too.

I totally agree. That's why I upgraded the router for a gigabit wired connection. But, the wireless is essential for remote services like our phones, pods, laptops, guests that are not near the wall, etc.

Wireless is totally convenient, but I opt for wired as well whenever possible.

All my desktops are wired, my TV is wired, my BD player is wired, etc. That alone makes streaming movies and music through our new Samsung products and DLNA products a dream, 8mbps or 12 and gigabit if local. Wink Clearly 12mbps would be better (especially during peak traffic hours).

Collapse -
Ahh, you may have tripped over something here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: wired vs wireless

I found that when an iphone or other things are in the brew, the SHARED AIRSPACE may pull back to 802.11b speeds. To fix this I move the router to 802.11g only mode and if I need a wifi link to a HDTV set I may even use a second dedicated wifi router as a WAP. We discuss that in the top posts of this forum.

NEW IDEA. Set the router to 802.11g ONLY.

Collapse -
No N in the mix
by thecolorCypher / May 19, 2010 4:14 AM PDT

That makes perfect sense. While I did make multiple adjustments to the router (so I'm not 100% what fixed it)... we do have all the portables and since they are not N compatible, the weaker of the link is probably tuggin' on the chain.

Setting that to B and G only probably did make the difference.

Well, if I can transfer the big things fast over the lan then I'll be happy and get at least 8mpbs or MUCH more than the sad 1.2mpbs for net. Happy

Thanks for the org post and hope all this helps out any newcomers.

Collapse -
second router...
by thecolorCypher / May 19, 2010 4:17 AM PDT

I'll have to setup my second (old perfectly working 10/100 router) as a wifi AP so the speeds don't fight. Great suggestion.

Collapse -
Same Problem Here
by puber_pmp / March 13, 2011 2:34 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.