Storage

General discussion

D, E and DVD Drives are gone from Windows Explorer

by PastryMan / August 8, 2013 9:51 AM PDT

My D, E, and DVD Drives are un-accessible and missing in Windows Explorer. They also don't show up in "Disk Management". This is the second time in a week this has happened. The last time it was fixed was after I rebooted the PC. Both times I was trying to play a song in Itunes, when I was unable to access the drives. My D drive is for my media files. G is my bluray drive and works fine. My DVD drive is L... I think. How do I fix this? Thanks for any info!
Windows 7 64 bit, i7 980x @333 6 core processor, 12 GB ram DDR 1600, Radeon 5850 GPU, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: D, E and DVD Drives are gone from Windows Explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: D, E and DVD Drives are gone from Windows Explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When it's missing in device manager.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2013 10:25 AM PDT

You head to the BIOS to see if the BIOS lists it. If the BIOS does not, you ask the machine's maker big questions.

I'll take it that it's out of warranty and you are not comfortable with checking cable connections.
Bob

Collapse -
RE:Missing in device manager
by PastryMan / August 10, 2013 9:20 AM PDT

Bob, it does appear in the BIOS. I don't think it is a loose cable, because when I restart; the drives are back to normal.

Collapse -
Now that's a known symptom of bad caps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2013 10:12 AM PDT

But this is too new for that issue but we'd check anyway.

It's possible the builder didn't install the chipset drivers, latest BIOS and overtaxed the PSU.

Looks like you have questions for this PC's maker.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.