Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Question

Cyberlink Malware?

by gflash128 / April 27, 2013 10:40 PM PDT

hi everyone!

Samsung R580, Intel i3 @2.4Ghz, 4G Ram, Win 7 Home Premium, AVG free 2013.

Q: I keep reading that Cyberlink is malware or a virus. Further, that it is a nightmare to uninstall.

Could anyone shed some light on this suite of programs?

Any Help?
Gordon

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cyberlink Malware?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cyberlink Malware?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Cyberlink
by pgc3 / April 27, 2013 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Cyberlink Malware?

Cyberlink, as I recall is a part of Power DVD and I do not believe is considered malware but is basically a media package, playback, copy, etc.

Collapse -
Answer
All good here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 11:23 PM PDT

I have yet to have any trouble with this suite. I did know someone that downloaded a cracked version from a torrent and wow, what a pack of trouble that was. I can only guess this is what caused you to write this?
Bob

Collapse -
Cyberlink
by pgc3 / April 27, 2013 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: All good here.

Yeah Bob, Cyberlink is pretty common and I don't think I've heard any issues with it either, sounds as if he may have some other issues or doesn't understand the function/use.

Collapse -
Answer
What is your reason for asking?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 28, 2013 8:33 AM PDT

Gordon..

What is your reason for asking? If you scanned with AVG and it reported FCL_DLL.dll to be a source of infection (Win32/Heur), I only know to tell you it has done so in the past. It was a confirmed false positive.

This is not the first time the question has been asked. As far back as 2007 some were reporting files related to Cyberlink's PowerDVD to be infected. Most were false positives. Some scanners detected an Aurora file. IF present and IF from Direct Revenue, it's considered adware. To the best of my knowledge. these instances were few and far between.

More recently, certain Norton products were reporting RIKVM 38F51D56.sys to be a rootkit. More often than not .. Norton Power Eraser.

The following is noted in a thread titled "Is this a virus RIKVM_38F51D56.SYS ? at the Norton Community Forum:

'It is a legitimate Cyberlink file. Norton Power Eraser is more aggressive than the regular Norton security products and possible false positives are something you need to be aware of when using the product. You always need to verify that the items NPE suggests to remove, are, in fact, malicious.'

The original poster also posted at the Cyberlink Forum. (Is RIKVM_38F51D56.SYS a legit Power DVD file or a virus? ) The Cyberlink Administrator indicated it was a false positive.

Lastly.. and only my opinion. I found the thread at the Norton forum here. The site which purports the file to be a rootkit, I find unreliable and highly suspect. Putting aside the fact they've spammed our forums, see what those at Web of Trust (WOT) have to report about the site.

If the reason you asked is because you were considering installing it and IF.. AVG has a problem with it, I would suggest uploading the file/s to VirusTotal or another service which analyzes suspicious files.

With hopes this was.. "enough lights shed"...

Carol

Collapse -
reply to 'Cyberlink Malware?'
by Newbie1929 / September 12, 2014 2:10 AM PDT

Can anyone explain why something that is not malware keeps popping up asking me to download it.?
I think it could be used by people interested in videos. This is not even Goggle snooping because I have no interest in videos.
Hence my suspicions.
I do not download something that popped up uninvited and wanting me to download something for an unspecified reason.
Surely an honest company would not do this.

Collapse -
I'm not on your PC so I can't check it out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2014 2:26 AM PDT

But many PCs come with this player and it's programmed to check for updates. There are also some thousand other reasons which fill the web with complaints about apps and more. I suggest you hit BleepingComputer and try the scans they suggest as well as uninstall apps you don't use.

-> In parting are you seeing a new type of computer user? That is one that doesn't head to the remove programs panel or learn about their Windows PC? I'm seeing more of these as newer users arrive to Windows based PCs and they often think all this should not be this way.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.